Air Canada - Cancelled itinerary

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jan 12, 2017
This is reference to booking made on Air Canada. The itinerary was for me and my wife to visit London and Cairo from Atlanta over the new year’s break (December 21st to January 1st). My first leg was via Toronto. Unfortunately I was not able to get a transit visa to fly through Canada in time. I contacted customer care on December 15th, 2016 through the toll free number. I let them know that I needed to change my reservation since I wouldn’t be able to fly through Canada, and since my ticket could not be changed, would make alternate arrangements for the first segment. I booked an alternate flight to London. After staying in London, I reached the London airport to continue my onward journey, only to be told that my entire itinerary with all flights had been cancelled! I did not receive any notification prior and only figured out once I reached the airport for my second leg. This was a stressful situation as I was stranded in a foreign country with no options. I had to look for new tickets while sitting at the airport and ended up spending a lot of money.
I have tried contacting Air Canada for a refund request through customer service email and contacts listed on your website but haven't gotten anywhere. Any help in resolving the matter would be greatly appreciated.

Michelle Couch-Friedman

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Sep 19, 2015
I let them know that I needed to change my reservation since I wouldn’t be able to fly through Canada, and since my ticket could not be changed, would make alternate arrangements for the first segment.
If you do not take the first leg of a flight, you are considered a "no show" and the rest of the ticket is voided. This is standard practice. In these situations, refunds are not offered by any airline that I am familiar with. Unfortunately, you should have been advised of this by the customer service rep that you spoke to before the flight. I am not sure what can be done now, except to use our company contacts and politely beg for some type of credit.

http://elliott.org/company-contacts/air-canada/

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
Sounds like our Letter Writer did advise AC of his cancellation and should at the very least have a credit for his cancelled ticket. I would be interested to know how it's listed as this is clearly a Cancellation issue and not a No Show.

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
No, he says that he advised Air Canada that he would just find an alternative way to London and then pick up the rest of his flight there. He didn't cancel. It is unusual that the agent would not have told him that his plan was not feasible.
My question is how AC has him listed??? I know what he says, but how is this listed in the AC system. Is there a record of his phone call ? Is he listed as a No Show or does he have a AC credit toward future travel.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
This is awful, Pranjal. The A/C agent should have explained their procedures to you when you called. If you have any details about your phone call to them, include them in a polite request to be given credit for your flights. There's a record of that conversation somewhere at AirCanada; they did you a real disservice by not helping you make a better plan. Remember that the person reading your letter did not cause your problem and is in a position to help you. Keep it short, simple and polite. If customer service doesn't respond in a week, or you don't like the answer, escalate your request up the chain of command, using our Company Contacts. Send to only one executive at a time and give them each a week to respond. Good luck and please let us know the outcome.

ADVOCATE ADVICE

Always, always keep notes on all telephone conversations and email communications with any airline or hotel. Agents are not infallible, and sometimes there's a communication challenge. Having good, detailed notes will often help you obtain some relief when things go upside-down.