Air BnB charges for cancellation of emergency viral infection

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
My husband and I travelled to Chile to visit family before heading to Cusco, Machu Picchu and Lima before returning to San Francisco for a trip of a lifetime. But unfortunately while in Chile, we contracted a very strong Pharyngitis infection followed by a very contageous Cocksackie Virus. I also constracted an allergic reaction to the cocksackie virus which caused a serious Shingles outbreak over my body.

This determined that it was extremely detrimental to the public if we were to travel on to Peru, so we cancelled all bookings, and were charged various charges at each booking venue.

We had booked the accommodations through Air BnB on September 17 2018, and cancelled on Nov 21. Air BnB has charged us $22.69 USD, which might not seem like much, but we have been charged at each venue some amount and have spent enormous amounts on medical costs trying to figure out what we have.

We are trying to retrieve this charge, having taken the correct steps to protect the public against further viral spread.

We need help retrieving our charges and wonder how best we can do this.

Attachments

Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
What were the dates of your planned Airbnb stay? You canceled Nov 21-when were you scheduled to arrive at your Airbnb lodging? What were the cancellation terms in your Airbnb contract? Did you have travel insurance?

Our dates were Nov 22-25. Our cancellation was a service fee of cleaning fee, 10$ pernight, but they charged us $22.69, We did not have travel insurance. But we used Discover Card, which might have a benefit but we dont know. We Will check when back in usa on 28th. We cant call them from here without being charged.

Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Our dates were Nov 22-25. Our cancellation was a service fee of cleaning fee, 10$ pernight, but they charged us $22.69, We did not have travel insurance. But we used Discover Card, which might have a benefit but we dont know. We Will check when back in usa on 28th. We cant call them from here without being charged.
You can check your credit card insurance benefits online.

Jul 15, 2016
Airbnb just charged you with service fee which is mandatory (and cheap btw), the cancellation policy was flexible so good on that. Since you are abroad now, I would not concentrate on small fees and would check right away the possible credit card benefits (usually available online or right away a skype call)

Oct 13, 2015
You held their inventory for 2 months and cancelled the day before. My guess is that they didn't find someone else to rent it to in those 24 hours. What was the cancellation policy? Have you thought about the possibility that maybe they've already cut you a break by refunding all but the $22.69?

Avianca and PeruRail are big companies but this AirBnB is probably owned by one owner or a small business who has most likely already taken a hit in refunding you.

I'm very sorry that you got sick on this trip. That sounds just awful. I'm glad to hear you're better now. Both my children ended up in the ER (separate incidents) on one overseas trip so I can imagine how horrible your ordeal was.

I'm genuinely curious. Why do you feel the AirBnB owner should bear the cost of your misfortune?

Dec 19, 2014
I get that may want a refund of $22.69 on principle, but frankly, you cancelled at the last minute and did not have travel insurance. Frankly, I think you getting charged $22.69 is something that should be written off as "life's misfortune." On the other hand, WHY should the host be the one that should bear the cost?

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
What an awful experience, I'm so sorry. I'm confused by the amount of the refund you are looking for. What else are you looking to be refunded? $22.69 for each property, or what is the total amount?