Agoda

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Nov 18, 2017
Don’t use Agoda - they have no honor

We arrived at the accommodation at approximately 12:30 with our bags. We did not request early check-in. Two people, men - one shabbily dressed skinny man and one overweight sitting in a chair, were present. (I would say gentlemen but they were not.) An overwhelming smell of alcohol was present.

The skinny one in a white sleeveless t-shirt was staggering around. He yelled in slurred speech at us “You take your bags and come back at 2:30” [1430]. I stated “excuse me?” He again said “Take your bags and come back at 2:30!” My wife looked at me and said “I don’t want to drag these around for 2 hours - what are we going to do?” The skinny one again yelled “I said it twice, take your bags and go!” As we were picking up our bags and leaving someone said “Nice tits!”

I immediately contacted Agoda and explained the situation and requested immediate cancelation of my booking. I heard only good things about Agoda and trusted the company. I did not think that Agoda would endorsed such behavior. But after numerous phone calls and emails I have been told to return to the property and check in.

Agoda’s suggestion that we return to an establishment which is sexually abusive to women, rude to its clientele and inappropriate in consuming alcohol while on duty is morally apprehensible.

After 10 days and more than 20 conversations with Agoda they refuse to refund our money or do anything concerning the hotel.

Carol Phillips

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 28, 2014
Coastal South Carolina
I had never heard of Agoda, so I searched. Per Wikipedia:

Agoda.com is a travel fare aggregator website and travel metasearch engine. It is owned by a subsidiary of The Priceline Group. Agoda’s network includes more than 1.5 million hotels worldwide and has offices in 28 countries

Nov 18, 2017
I am aware that Agoda.com is owned by Priceline.com. That does not negate the fact that they are not assisting me in this matter. I paid them directly and wish their help in resolving this issue.

Sep 19, 2015
Maddogtm is this a small hotel or part of a chain? How many days did you have booked? Did you go some place else?

Agora is basically a computer program that does not endorse any establishment or really act as a travel agent.

Have you thought about contacting the management of the hotel?

R

Realitoes

If you booked the hotel as non-refundable, it is going to be difficult getting your money back. Who actually charged your credit card for the hotel? If it was the hotel, then any refund will have to be approved by them.

Nov 18, 2017
Thank you for the input.
I will try and answer all your questions.

Agoda charged my card.
I booked with customer service representative directly and not on line.
The hotel is part of a larger chain in Asia.
I booked my accommodations in August for our trip in November for 12 days.
We had to scramble last minute to find a same day reservation and payed a triple increased rate for it.
I attempted to discuss the situation directly with the hotel and was told to contact Agoda. I am being shuffled back and forth between the 2 without a satisfactory resolution.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I am aware that Agoda.com is owned by Priceline.com. That does not negate the fact that they are not assisting me in this matter. I paid them directly and wish their help in resolving this issue.
What a horrendous start to your trip to have to face two sleazeballs like that.
Unfortunately this kind of internet entity will give you little assistance with the hotel. They are just an online booking agency with no customer service. You prepaid the hotel room, always a bad idea, because you then have no leverage. Always book hotels and airfare directly ... in case of a problem at least you have a chance of getting some assistance.

Have you contacted the hotel itself? I believe that's where you'll get some help.

Nov 18, 2017
I attempted to discuss the situation directly with the hotel and was told to contact Agoda. I contacted Agoda customer service and was told to contact the hotel. I am being shuffled back and forth between the 2 without a satisfactory resolution.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I attempted to discuss the situation directly with the hotel and was told to contact Agoda. I contacted Agoda customer service and was told to contact the hotel. I am being shuffled back and forth between the 2 without a satisfactory resolution.
That's what usually happens. I would advise that you compose a polite, concise email to the General Manager of the hotel and ask for the compensation you seek. If nothing else, it will alert the hotel that this Agoda is not a good affiliate.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Who chose the hotel? What hotel was it? Did you find it on Agoda and called and booked it? What were the hotel ratings on Agoda?

Normally a hotel will hold your luggage so you can come back and check in.

If you can't get Agoda to answer, file a credit card dispute with your credit card company.

Sep 19, 2015
Who chose the hotel? What hotel was it? Did you find it on Agoda and called and booked it? What were the hotel ratings on Agoda?

Normally a hotel will hold your luggage so you can come back and check in.

If you can't get Agoda to answer, file a credit card dispute with your credit card company.
Neil I am not sure that a credit card dispute is a good tactic at this point. The OP booked and paid Agoda. The hotel had rude and offensive employee(s) when they arrived. They left and went someplace else but still got charged as it was prepaid. If the CC goes by the strict rules the OP was a no show for a prepaid room and then the OP has zero leverage.

Since the hotel is part of a larger chain what about approaching the customer service of the larger company? What larger chain wants to have a hotel that is hostile to females? I would not want to stay there

What may be complicating things is that agoda may have purchased a block of rooms to resell -- so the finger pointing between the hotel and agoda.

What about contacting the customer contacts for the chain for assistance?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Of course works by through the chain is the best way to deal with this- it they out their head in the sand, then I'd go to my credit card company.

I'd like to know how the hotel was chosen, who the hotel is and exactly how it was booked. I'd like to see the hotel ratings.

Nov 18, 2017
I am very appreciative of all these helpful comments. I am a US Marine and because of honor I will not post names on this sight. But I will let you know that I paid Agoda directly. I was assured by the customer service rep at the time of booking that this hotel/chain was reputable. I do not have money to waste as I have a family to support and need advise to an appropriate and speedy resolution. Thank you again.

Sep 19, 2015
I am very appreciative of all these helpful comments. I am a US Marine and because of honor I will not post names on this sight. But I will let you know that I paid Agoda directly. I was assured by the customer service rep at the time of booking that this hotel/chain was reputable. I do not have money to waste as I have a family to support and need advise to an appropriate and speedy resolution. Thank you again.
I am sorry to say that the customer service person likely was in a call center and probably not a serious traveler. Unfortunately without a name it is hard to give contacts -- or know if this is a chain with franchises that are individually owned.

If Agoda charged and it is that company on the charge card it seems they are in control of the money. But I would think a proper hotel would not to know if employees are behaving badly.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
We have company contacts on top of our our pages for Priceline. Write to the customer service email address.

Give them a week to reply. If they don't respond or refuse to help, write to the first executive shown. Tell him/her that Customer Service wasn't able to help or didn't reply. Give the executive a week to reply. If necessary, repeat weekly going up the chain of Executives one at a time. If you get all the Executives with no help, come back here and let us know and we'll
Tell you the next step. Make sure you keep all the emails as you'll need to forward them to the writers if they need to get involved.

Good luck and let us know what happens.