After terrorist attack, Turkish Airlines demands $1400 when Lufthansa only charged $920

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.

Should I at least get a partial credit on my flight?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jan 10, 2018
Following a terrorist attack at Istanbul New Year's day 2017, I called and learned I had to board Flight 864 to Istanbul on Turkish Airlines; I was hesitant but arrived to the terminal over an hour before my flight. I called the airline, as well as the travel agency (ExploreTrip) that booked it to let them know of this circumstance, but nobody was reachable by phone despite claiming support was 24/7.

The airport was empty and there was just 1 person ahead of me. When the manager took his time and finally agreed to see me, there was 58 minutes left and I was disqualified for arriving less than an hour before a flight.

The only other alternative I was told I'd have was to pay more than double to go the next day or pay the same to go to Israel 2 weeks later for just 4 days.

While they wanted $1400 for the next flight, the other airlines charged as little as $971, WITH INSURANCE if there is a terrorist attack.

I would like to get my $693.50 back in the form of a refund or credit, American express refused to honor the dispute and sided with Turkish Airlines. What can we do to take them to court and get this unfairly taken money back? I ended up paying $971 PLUS the $693.50!!! the same rate Turkish Airlines would have charged me for the next flight.

Nobody seemed to care that there was an extreme circumstance of a terrorist attack.

What's the value of your claim (in US $)? 694
Date of transaction/travel date: 2016-12-23

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Where did your flight to Istanbul originate? If you were traveling on any international flight, arriving close to one hour before flight time is not nearly enough time at any airport.
To give any meaningful advice we need all the details of your travel/flight itinerary. The question you have posed in your poll and the request cannot be evaluated with the information you provided. You indicate the event in question occurred on "New Year's day 2017 " but you also note "Date of transaction/travel date: 2016-12-23 ". These are not consistent. Right now the only answer to your poll question is "unanswerable".

Last edited:

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
weihlac is correct, you arrived at the airport too late to be cleared for boarding. Your narrative is very confusing ... you state that you called and were told you had to board the flight. Did you have a tix for the flight? Why did someone have to tell you that you had to board the flight? If you could make a concise list in chronological order, just the facts, we may be able to help. It appears that this flight was a long time ago. Please send us the facts.

Reactions: Neil Maley
Sep 19, 2015
So if there has been a previous terrorist attack shouldn't one go to the airport earlier and not later? The 60 minutes cutoff is for when the check in completed not for entering the line.

The terrorist attack on New Year's Eve 2016 was at the Reina nightclub on the Bosporus by a lone gunman — I am perplexed at how this would impact your travel at all from the Istanbul airport on 12/23. Was that a typo? Were you at the nightclub?

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Looking at the ExploreTrip website it appears this is not a "travel agency" but an online booking agency like Expedia. Orbitz etc. There is a red flag on their website: "ExploreTrip is a Bay Area, California based company making online International travel easy and complication free. ExploreTrip has quadrupled in the past few months in terms of sales. What matters to us most is whether people get value from the site, and we believe they will. " They appear to be focused on "value", meaning low prices. "Value" usually means little or no customer service.
If they have quadrupled sales in the last few MONTHS you can be sure that their customer service has not quadrupled, and probably has not increased at all.

Sep 19, 2015

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Yet The company is an accredited member of the BBB with an A+ rating — pay to play.
I saw a little blurb on yahoo or someplace this morning touting Travel + Leisure's "best travel" categories, with the statement that the magazine had switched from reader nominations in various categories to a straight fee of $4K to be included. Has the world gone insane???

Jul 27, 2016
From your description, it sounds like you arrived for your flight to Istanbul too late for checkin, so you were booked as a no-show. Then, you booked on a Turkish Airlines flight the next day, but had to pay an extra $694 for that ticket. Is that correct?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Forum Moderator
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Recommended arrival time is 3 hours before a flight for international and two for domestic. You simply arrived too late. The computers lock out check in usually 60 minutes before on international flights and there is nothing you can do to override that.

The airline doesn’t owe you the difference you had to pay for the new ticket.