AerLingus disgraceful Customer Service

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Thank you for your response. Any of us that work are often in a customer situation where we want the best for our clients. First response is to apologize and second response is how do I make this customer happier about the situation by giving them a better option. The seats in business class were empty and the flight had left, they had no way to sell those seats. It would have been a very easy solution. Lastly, after the fact if not a refund for the seats it is easy to offer an upgrade on subsequent flights or offer frequent flier miles. Galling that the purser never once came by and acknowledged the situation or offered profuse apologies.
You are correct that they could have been more sympathetic but business class was probably hundreds more than you paid and they might have had people in business class complain that you were put there and didn’t pay for it.

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
they might have had people in business class complain that you were put there and didn’t pay for it.
That would be a ridiculous stance for AL to take and those other passengers would need to be shamed for exhibiting such an attitude. They would prefer people spend 9 hours in smelly wet seats? The world is becoming so disgusting.

Sep 19, 2015
That would be a ridiculous stance for AL to take and those other passengers would need to be shamed for exhibiting such an attitude. They would prefer people spend 9 hours in smelly wet seats? The world is becoming so disgusting.
Unfortunately that is not the way the airlines operate and FA are often not allowed to move passengers to other cabins, which is why other Economy seats were offered.

The company that does the cleaning in Chicago was really negligent, how could this not have been noticed.

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
The company that does the cleaning in Chicago was really negligent, how could this not have been noticed.
This is true and AL is ultimately responsible for the negligence on the part of the cleaning company that they pay to do the job.
It is incumbent on AL to make up for the cleaners incompetence, which they did not adequately do.
The pax should NOT be paying the price for incompetence.
For goodness sake! The pax had to help clean the seats !!!

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2015
This is true and AL is ultimately responsible for the negligence on the part of the cleaning company that they pay to do the job.
It is incumbent on AL to make up for the cleaners incompetence, which they did not adequately do.
The pax should NOT be paying the price for incompetence.
For goodness sake! The pax had to help clean the seats !!!
I absolutely agree with you and hope that the OP gets a lot of points since that maybe more useful than a voucher.

I remember Neil saying he has flown the airline and never seen anything like this but I think he does not fly out of Chicago. It makes me wonder about the company hired in that city.

This was just so disgusting.

May 9, 2019
You are correct that they could have been more sympathetic but business class was probably hundreds more than you paid and they might have had people in business class complain that you were put there and didn’t pay for it.
I am often in business or first class and have never wondered why someone got the last minute upgrade and or how much they paid. I assume the airline is doing the right thing. Also I have many times been put in first class after taking my economy class seat and no-one has ever wondered about that. Many of us that travel very frequently for work have status and regular upgrades due to loyalty. I have that status on United and flew Aerlingus as a co share...but they are not part of star alliance and do not recognize it. However as a coshare they do provide miles travelled just not qualifying miles. A final note, when I do pay for first class which I do regularly, I never wonder how much others paid...again as status can be a determining factor for most people in business/ first class seats.

Sep 26, 2017
While I understand the perspective, dealing with the fallout from moving these customers into Business class seats is AL's problem, not the customers'. If I were the cabin crew, no way would I resolve this by putting these customers in inferior seats.

This just seems like another shining example of how far customer service has gone downhill in the airline industry.

Aug 29, 2018
The world is disgusting. Just picture the complaint from someone who paid those hundreds of dollars if that passenger were forced to sit next to someone who smelled of the vomit in which the upgraded passenger sat....

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
The world is disgusting. Just picture the complaint from someone who paid those hundreds of dollars if that passenger were forced to sit next to someone who smelled of the vomit in which the upgraded passenger sat....
OP at no time indicated that they (personally) smelled bad.

Aug 6, 2018
Could this be escalated to the Chicago Public Health authorities? Bodily fluids are serious health risks and universal precautions protocol is mandated, but was not used by the flight crew.