Aer Lingus

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jul 9, 2018
My elderly mother and I bought a flight on Aer Lingus from Philadelphia to Madrid for Sept. 27th, returning on Oct. 9th. Shortly after purchase in June, the airline changed the times thrice. By the third time, they had tightened their own layover in Dublin so much that our tickets were no good and they told us (via Expedia) that we had to purchase new ones. All the options not only cut our vacation short, but cost more money ($900 more) and added extra layovers (one in Boston and one in Dublin totaling almost 10 hours which my mother cannot do. I finally gave up on Aer LIngus and asked for my money back. Expedia was happy to get a refund.

Then I got an email that Aer LIngus will not return our money for 8 weeks. I complained to Expedia and they said that their hands are tied. Aer LIngus causes the delay and i should call them. Guess what? Aer Lingus has no live customer service, only automated. I tried the line that purchases new tickets but I was on hold for 30 minutes listening to the same maddening Gaelic song before I gave up. I tried to email them but the emails bounced back

How can I get our money back sooner so we can reschedule our vacation? Aer Lingus is a disaster.

Sep 19, 2015
@fefo700 According to their own website, they owe you a refund in 7 days (https://www.aerlingus.com/media/pdfs/LEGALCANCELLATION.pdf)

FYI - none of the rest of the notice applies to you because of the time until your flight. Watch your credit card.
That is the EU 261 regulation — and talking about cancellation.

EU 261 does not apply as rhe changes were announced far enough in advance.

EU 261 mandates expedited refunds. All others have to wait.

Otherwise the airline says 1 to 2 billing cycles for refund

https://www.aerlingus.com/support/cancellations-and-refunds/

johnbaker

Verified Member
Oct 2, 2014
@Christina H Your link doesn't apply because it deals with the traveler cancelling not the airline. EU261 does apply to cancelled flights even months in advance. The compensation and right to care doesn't apply but travelers still get the option to be re-accommodated or accept a refund

Sep 19, 2015
@Christina H Your link doesn't apply because it deals with the traveler cancelling not the airline. EU261 does apply to cancelled flights even months in advance. The compensation and right to care doesn't apply but travelers still get the option to be re-accommodated or accept a refund
But the travelers are canceling because of the layover from the schedule change. The flights still exist.

I read article 8.1 (The 7 day) repay issue comes into play when an airline cancels the flight within the 14 days of travel.

Others have had the same problem — here is an excerpt from the Irish Times about a passenger that had problems getting a refund quickly in similar circumstances:

“Liam Walsh contacted us to tell us about a refund issue he has been having with Aer Lingus. It sounds wearying. “I booked return flights to Lisbon for my family, for June 2016, on October 29th. The cost of these return flights was €615, which was debited from my credit card on November 2nd,” his sorry tale starts.

On December 17th the airline contacted him to say the flight’s time was being rescheduled, but the new flight times did not suit his young family so the following day he cancelled the flights and sought a refund. “I was not told at that time that there was a 28-working-day waiting period for the refund to be applied to my credit card,” he says.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ir...er-lingus-refund-runaround-1.2532796?mode=amp

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Did they change the time by more than 2 hours? If so, you were entitled to cancel the tickets for a full refund:

Before we accept your booking, we will notify you of the scheduled flight time in effect as of that time, and it will be shown on your Ticket or Itinerary/Receipt. It is possible we may need to change the scheduled flight time subsequent to issuance of your Ticket or Itinerary/Receipt. If you provide us with your email address, we will endeavour to notify you of any such changes. If, after you purchase your Ticket, we change the scheduled departure time by more than two hours and this is not acceptable to you, and we are unable to book you on an alternate flight which is acceptable to you, you will be entitled to a refund in accordance with Article 10.2.

Sep 19, 2015
Neil I think that Aer Lingus changed their schedule around for fall and left the OP with terrible options — but the problem is the timing of getting a refund
And this has been complicated with having to speak with the OTA.

Fefo700 sadly waiting 30 plus minutes is not surprising and it should be the main reservation number that is called— but I am not sure if you having to go through Expedia for everything as they are the online booking engine that was used

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I'm sorry to tell you that you can't get your money back any more quickly than whatever AerLingus' policy is. I'd be surprised if you receive a refund before 3-4 months goes by. You can try our company contacts and write to the executives, but I don't think it will help you get a refund sooner. Just a thought ... check your credit card statement; who charged you for the flights, the booking service or AerLingus? That's the entity who has your money and will be returning it.

Dwayne Coward

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Apr 13, 2016
St. Louis
Then I got an email that Aer LIngus will not return our money for 8 weeks..
Keep in mind that 8 weeks (2 billing cycles) is the standard language many companies use because that is how long it may take for you to see the credit on your actual bank statement. In most cases, you may see it sooner if you review your accounts online.