Aer Lingus - Lost bag?

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jul 6, 2018
Via #AERLINGUS we returned from DUB to SEA on 29JUN.

My bag did not. I called them that night to report it missing. The phone answered and I was instructed to leave a detailed voicemail and they'd call me back. They did not. I called their "contact center" back some hours later and got a human. They tried to tell me I had to go to the airport to make a report. I kindly pointed out to them that their own website said to call this number to make the report. Suddenly the human developed a very heavy accent and got hearing problems and was having me repeat every single word 3-4 times. After 10 minutes of this I hung up and called back. I got another human who kindly took the report and gave me a case number. That's when the fun really began... I was told I'd get a call back with a status soon. I called back 8 hours later... No, they hadn't found my bag. They'd call me back with a status. I called them back later and they'd found my bag in DUB. Was told it would be on the 02JUN plane. On JUN03 I called back: Bag still in Dublin. I escalated and spoke to a supervisor (Irish accent vs. Indian) who apologized and assured me she *confirmed* it was on the 04JUL plane. I called 05JUL: Bag was in SEA, waiting on delivery service which opened at 10am. No call from delivery service. Called back later that afternoon. Suddenly delivery service opened at 7pm that evening instead and they'd be calling me. I called the contact center this morning 06JUL: Bag was never on plane, still in DUB. Now they're telling me 08JUL plane... I've had baggage delayed before. Things happen. But when the lies and incompetence keep rolling in... So I'll be posting this on every travel review site in the hopes that someone, anyone, from #AERLINGUS will see it and help me get my bag back.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Via #AERLINGUS we returned from DUB to SEA on 29JUN.

My bag did not. I called them that night to report it missing. The phone answered and I was instructed to leave a detailed voicemail and they'd call me back. They did not. I called their "contact center" back some hours later and got a human. They tried to tell me I had to go to the airport to make a report. I kindly pointed out to them that their own website said to call this number to make the report. Suddenly the human developed a very heavy accent and got hearing problems and was having me repeat every single word 3-4 times. After 10 minutes of this I hung up and called back. I got another human who kindly took the report and gave me a case number. That's when the fun really began... I was told I'd get a call back with a status soon. I called back 8 hours later... No, they hadn't found my bag. They'd call me back with a status. I called them back later and they'd found my bag in DUB. Was told it would be on the 02JUN plane. On JUN03 I called back: Bag still in Dublin. I escalated and spoke to a supervisor (Irish accent vs. Indian) who apologized and assured me she *confirmed* it was on the 04JUL plane. I called 05JUL: Bag was in SEA, waiting on delivery service which opened at 10am. No call from delivery service. Called back later that afternoon. Suddenly delivery service opened at 7pm that evening instead and they'd be calling me. I called the contact center this morning 06JUL: Bag was never on plane, still in DUB. Now they're telling me 08JUL plane... I've had baggage delayed before. Things happen. But when the lies and incompetence keep rolling in... So I'll be posting this on every travel review site in the hopes that someone, anyone, from #AERLINGUS will see it and help me get my bag back.
Good grief, this is truly a comedy of errors, except it's not funny. You'd think you were dealing with a fifth-world country, not an English-speaking part of the UK. Neil is right, as always, contact the executives ... be polite (time to grit your teeth) and concise and remember that the person reading your letter works for AerLingus but did not cause your problem. You want her to help you. Personally, I advise waiting until Monday, because the bag will probably appear soon and you can save your sanity by forgetting about all this for the weekend.

Sep 19, 2015
May I ask why a report was not made at the Seattle airport when you noticed the bag did not arrive?

The faster a bag gets into the system the better. The website mentions filing at the airport of arrival or later but at the airport is better.

I am not sure that is it fair to claim that someone developed “hearing problems”. Some voice over internet services (what call centers use) are terrible. An office I consult at had that problem it was so bad with local calls that I just used my cell phone. That being said some of the overseas call centers are terrible. But they are cheaper for businesses and that is why they exist.

I am hoping that the bag will come soon, what a mess.

Jul 6, 2018
May I ask why a report was not made at the Seattle airport when you noticed the bag did not arrive?

The faster a bag gets into the system the better. The website mentions filing at the airport of arrival or later but at the airport is better.

I am not sure that is it fair to claim that someone developed “hearing problems”. Some voice over internet services (what call centers use) are terrible. An office I consult at had that problem it was so bad with local calls that I just used my cell phone. That being said some of the overseas call centers are terrible. But they are cheaper for businesses and that is why they exist.

I am hoping that the bag will come soon, what a mess.
Hello Christina. I was traveling with several other people and after a 9.5 hour flight I did not want to make them wait around. This especially as we had another 1.5 hours by van to get home. BTW still no bag...

As for the "hearing issues", the connection was crystal clear. In fact I could hear the person sitting next to them just fine... And his english was excellent right up to the point I told him what the website said about taking the report. Then suddenly things... changed. I deal with international customers for a living. I'm not making this up.

Regards...