Advice Needed Avis/Viking

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
Dec 2, 2016
I rented a car from Avis (Miami) in April 2016, I just received a bill for damage ($544.09) that I am not responsible for. Today I received the documentation regarding the damage, two things are significant 1) the mileage photo has 13 more miles on it than when I returned the car 2) there is a brief Accident/Incident Report from a subsequent renter dated the same day (with a fax date of 4 days later) simply stating 'Customer claims it was there before'. 3) On my rental agreement I had the rep indicate that there was mild bumper damage but the damage that is being claimed for was not this damage. 4) The vehicle was checked in on return and there is no indication of my receipt of damage. How do I approach Viking - is it enough to simply state these facts and cc Avis or is there anything else I should do. Thanks.

Dec 2, 2016
Thank you, I have previously read your site, unfortunately not before renting the car. I am in receipt of my rental and return document's, pictures of the damage and the immediate subsequent renters incident/accident report. The only thing I don't have the previous five renter agreements because my agreement indicated only mild bumper damage that I saw when renting. My question is how do I handle the response to viking besides stating the four items I listed in my previous post?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Forum Moderator
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Insist on it and start moving up the executive chain at Avis telling them that you are not getting what you requested. Every case we have had with Avis and Viking was dropped by following those directions exactly and insisting.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Forum Moderator
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Insist on it and start moving up the executive chain at Avis telling them that you are not getting what you requested. Every case we have had with Avis and Viking was dropped by following those directions exactly and insisting.

Nov 3, 2015
And be sure to keep everything in writing. If they call, request that they send you email. Be relentlessly polite and relentlessly determined to get all the documentation.

The 13 mile discrepancy between your return and the time of the damage photos is troubling. If the damage photo doesn't match what the car looked like when you returned it, then something happened in those 13 miles, and you can best assist them (and your own case) by helping them make sure the documentation is correct.

(Aside: one of the other advocates here pictures people answering letters of complaint in a small, dank, windowless room with dead potted plants and only a baloney sandwich for lunch. I'm beginning to visualize the car rental claims office as having been struck by a tornado that has opened every file cabinet, shredding at least half the documents, and some poor soul charged with stapling at least 3 random documents or fragments together and sending out a claim...)

Reactions: AAGK and AMA

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Forum Moderator
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Viking works claims for several car rental companies. Have you read some of the past stories? We have much success getting these dropped - you have to keep writing up the chain of command.

Read some of the dropped claims from those who followed the information we have and there are many more in the car rental forum. YOU have to be tenacious and let them know you are not giving into their threats.

http://forum.elliott.org/threads/disappointed-avis-rental.4330/

http://forum.elliott.org/threads/avis-damage-claim.4150/page-2

http://forum.elliott.org/threads/advice-on-avis-viking-bill-for-flat-tire.3759/

http://forum.elliott.org/threads/budget-viking-happy-ending.4019/