Adventure of The Seas 10/07 2017 not refunding

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Oct 4, 2017
he said "we had our flight cancelled" implying that AVANCIA cancelled the original flight they booked.

@Camilo Estupinan I'm curious - did AVANCIA reach out to you and tell you that they were canceling your flight? Or did you reach out to them and ask if you could cancel? Or did AVANCIA ask if you wanted to cancel your flight?

in situations such as these, most airlines, if they decide to allow you to cancel, will offer an alternative flight and/or insist that you take a credit so that you can fly again with them.

Do you have an airline credit? You could reinstate your original booking, possibly adjusting the dates, in order to fly in the night before, spend the night on the ship, and make the departure?
Avianca cancelled the flight, because SJU was not abble to received such amount of flights due to the restriction (Post - Maria the number of flights decrease to 39 flights, most of them relief flights from 167 flights prior- Maria) . They offer airline credit, but they couldn´t offer alternative flights (due to the limited number of flights and airlines flying to SJU), yesterday SJU resume full operation, but Avianca did not resume flights to SJU, that´s why I´m asking RCCL that my case is treated as a Force Majeure caused by Maria Huricane.

Oct 4, 2017
This, unfortunately, is a perfect example of the importance of purchasing insurance on any prepaid travel expenses. You just can't prepay cruises and hotels without covering those expenses with insurance. In the case of enormous natural disasters such as this, there are so many people harmed, so much property damage, so much worry and fear and so much effort to put things back together and get on with the cruises. Cruise lines have horrendous expenses and they need their ships out there cruising with paying guests.
I din´t purchase travel insurance, and now facing this situation, I realize that everything you said is absolutly true. I will do it for future.

Feb 9, 2016
Neil, due to the impacts on the SJU (Luis Marin Int´l Airport) of the Hurricane Maria, they had flights restrictions (only yesterday the airport after 14 days of restricted operations, resume day long operations), our Airline canceled all the flights and could´nt put us on a new flight before the sailing.
Did you contact RCCL, let them know your situation and ask them to attempt to arrange new flights?

If Avancia is now flying then call them and get your flights back and go on the cruise.

Also, check your credit card for travel insurance, just in case.

RCCL is not going to refund your money. They may very well give you a future cruise credit so get that angle working.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2017
Did you contact RCCL, let them know your situation and ask them to attempt to arrange new flights?

If Avancia is now flying then call them and get your flights back and go on the cruise.

Also, check your credit card for travel insurance, just in case.

RCCL is not going to refund your money. They may very well give you a future cruise credit so get that angle working.
I did contact them, and they try to book a flight and was impossible. I will give them a call later, and hopefully the will understand the situation and try to change dates or book a new cruise with future credit.

Oct 4, 2017
If you still want to go, try COPA Airways or United. It looks like they are both going to SJU on October 6. (Tomorrow.)
I will check for sure, but a few hour ago, I called to what RCCL calls Emergency Travel Team, and I was not possible to book a flight from here.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I will check for sure, but a few hour ago, I called to what RCCL calls Emergency Travel Team, and I was not possible to book a flight from here.
Did you tell them that you are unable to get a flight and ask if they would give you a credit to use within a year? I can't see them not understanding that the airline canceled your original flight and you can't get another flight.

Perhaps they can allow you to meet the ship in another port.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
This is such a mess, I truly feel bad for Camilio. At the mercy of the airlines - Royal needs to make an exception and should provide you with a credit for a future cruise at the very least IMO.
I agree ... If Camilio can't fly there to meet the cruise, RCCL should make some accommodation. It's not as tho he just decided to not cruise ... he can't get there.

Oct 4, 2017
First of all, I have to thank everyone that was involved with this thread, all of your opinions, questions, comments and suggestions, where very valuable to be able to focus my claim to RCCL. It is important to make an update about my case.

I wrote an E-mail to both Carlos Leyva (Chief Guest Experience Officer) and Royal Guests Relations ( RoyalGuestRelations@rccl.com) explaining with some detail my case. (Maybe it was a long E-mail but I didn´t want to miss any important information and most of all the real situation on Puerto Rico.). From the Royal Guest Relations, I did receive an automated response, saying that my case will be reviewed in the future in detail. Being 3 days away from the sailing and without a proper response I make a call on Thursday to the CR line (305) 341 02 04, the person that took my call (Maria Jose Galindo) was super empathic and very willing to help even though she explained that there will be a penalty if I decide to cancel my journey with them as RCCL will not cancel the departure.

After explaining her the reasons and the difficulties to fly to SJU, she put me on hold for several minutes (she said that she had a meeting with her manager), and after that she came back and told me: “we discussed about the E-mail you sent us, and from above I was told to offer you the following, our team will try to book you a flight to SJU”.

I did explain her that I did some previous research and that there were no much options to get there from my country, and they put me on hold for another 5 to 10 minutes.

She came back and told me “you were right, and due to your situation, we can do two things, first change the cruising date or have 100% credit for a future cruise”

I took the second option, and will take a cruise departing Port Canaveral next year.

Things I learned, for this type of situation that are caused by force majeure, you have to take insurance, and second you have to kept records on everything (I had screenshots of the airline web page with the cancellation of the flight, had emails with the cancellation done by the hotels, and the links to the news regarding the situation on Puerto Rico).

Again, Thanks for all.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
First of all, I have to thank everyone that was involved with this thread, all of your opinions, questions, comments and suggestions, where very valuable to be able to focus my claim to RCCL. It is important to make an update about my case.

I wrote an E-mail to both Carlos Leyva (Chief Guest Experience Officer) and Royal Guests Relations ( RoyalGuestRelations@rccl.com) explaining with some detail my case. (Maybe it was a long E-mail but I didn´t want to miss any important information and most of all the real situation on Puerto Rico.). From the Royal Guest Relations, I did receive an automated response, saying that my case will be reviewed in the future in detail. Being 3 days away from the sailing and without a proper response I make a call on Thursday to the CR line (305) 341 02 04, the person that took my call (Maria Jose Galindo) was super empathic and very willing to help even though she explained that there will be a penalty if I decide to cancel my journey with them as RCCL will not cancel the departure.

After explaining her the reasons and the difficulties to fly to SJU, she put me on hold for several minutes (she said that she had a meeting with her manager), and after that she came back and told me: “we discussed about the E-mail you sent us, and from above I was told to offer you the following, our team will try to book you a flight to SJU”.

I did explain her that I did some previous research and that there were no much options to get there from my country, and they put me on hold for another 5 to 10 minutes.

She came back and told me “you were right, and due to your situation, we can do two things, first change the cruising date or have 100% credit for a future cruise”

I took the second option, and will take a cruise departing Port Canaveral next year.

Things I learned, for this type of situation that are caused by force majeure, you have to take insurance, and second you have to kept records on everything (I had screenshots of the airline web page with the cancellation of the flight, had emails with the cancellation done by the hotels, and the links to the news regarding the situation on Puerto Rico).

Again, Thanks for all.
I am very happy to hear this. Luckily you got someone who was sympathetic and looked at the air and saw you weren't making excuses- you really could not get there.

I wish you hadn't had to have so much stress involved but they did the right thing. They have to be able to make exceptions to the rules in curcumstances like this. This is an extraordinary event and they need to be flexible- luckily they were.