Advantage Rent A Car trying to get me with a damage claim

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Dec 18, 2018
On October 25, 2018, I rented a car from Advantage Rent A Car in El Paso, Texas. I returned the car to Advantage El Paso on October 29, 2018. When I returned the car, the man who checked me in said everything was good and gave me a final receipt.
About a week later, I received a call from a representative with Viking Billing Service saying that I owed $310 for a cracked windshield. I talked with the representative several times and she emailed documents and pictures showing a car with a cracked windshield. I also received a follow up letter regarding the alleged claim.
My companions and I never saw a chip or crack in the windshield during the four days we rented the car. The Post-Rental Vehicle Inspection Form was not completed or presented to me at the time I returned the car. The Accident Report (to be completed by customer) was never presented to me when I returned the car. It looks like someone else completed those forms after I left the car with Advantage.
I believe that the crack happened after I left the premises I should not be held responsible for a crack that occurred in Advantage's car wash or some other way.
I would like to have confirmation that the charge has been waived.

Sep 20, 2015
Was the picture time stamped and/or odometer shown? If not, request this. This Forum has extensive instructions on how to escalate and to whom when this happens. Generally if you challenge it, you will be cleared. This is a common game unfortunately--the rental car places move down the list of renters until they find someone who will pay. We as consumers need to call their collective bluff.

Sep 19, 2015
Beth did the check in person inspect the car and say no damdage? If that is the case I think you have a straight forward case. Follow the advice Neil has given and if the employee did check you in and inspect the car emphasize that point. Good luck.

Dec 18, 2018
After I posted this report today, I received a letter in the mail from Viking Billing Service. The claim has been closed. I forgot to mention in the first post that I had sent certified letters to the CEOs of Viking and Advantage Rent a Car 3 weeks ago. I used the format that is suggested by Elliott.org for the letter. The problem is now solved. Thank you for your advise and I will watch for this sort of thing in the future.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
After I posted this report today, I received a letter in the mail from Viking Billing Service. The claim has been closed. I forgot to mention in the first post that I had sent certified letters to the CEOs of Viking and Advantage Rent a Car 3 weeks ago. I used the format that is suggested by Elliott.org for the letter. The problem is now solved. Thank you for your advise and I will watch for this sort of thing in the future.
We have a post in car rentals on how to avoid this - read it and take pictures.