ADT home security help

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
May 16, 2019
Hi, I'm new to this forum. I apologize if this post is too long. I posted an issue to Elliott's Advocate about ADT home security and they recommended I join this forum to seek help, so here is my story.
I signed up with ADT when I had my home last year. In Feb of this year I ended up selling my home to move back home closer to my family. I live out of city limits basically in the country where I do not need their home security. I should have paid attention to their bad reviews before I signed up and the read thoroughly their 20 page contract you'd need a high powered magnifying glass to read it. That is where they get you, where they you sign a 3 yr contract, where as I thought I had only signed a 1 yr. I admit that was my mistake. It was hard getting adjusted in my rental home being I had to start over. Of course ADT will not let you out of your contract no matter what, and they tell you that. So I am locked in paying for home security I no longer have till next year July. Well things here got worse for me and last week I was diagnosed with stage 4 breast cancer. My health insurance dropped me and medical bills are piling up. Yet I have to pay this GREEDY selfish security company who I've talked to numerous times and they will not budge. My question is for any advice someone may be able to give me if there is a way out if you have a terminal illness you can get out of their contract? The money they take out every month is money I need to survive. I am not able to work because of the aggressive Chemo I will be starting next week, and I need that money, but they are completely heartless. I am not in the mood for their harassment if I just canceled my account, and I also hear they harass your family members. This company is the worst. There should be a law as an exception to get out of any contact being diagnosed with an illness where you are unable to work.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I'm not sure why you think ADT is so awful ... you have a contract with them. They have no reason for them to void the contract unless you give them one. Calling them names and stating that you've "heard" negative things about them doesn't help your case. Compose a polite, concise letter asking them for an exception to their policy because of your severe illness and resulting financial difficulties. Alternatively, you may wish to transfer their service to your new residence. Living in the country is certainly not any safer than living in a city.

Sep 19, 2015
I am sorry to read of the terrible diagnosis. You are clearly under a lot of stress, and being dropped by the health insurance is terrible.

But if you want any sort of consideration you have to change your tactic. Calling a company GREEDY for adhering to a contract that you willfully signed and did not read is not going to get you much sympathy from the company. Does ADT cover your new area -- that is usually one way out of the contract.
Write and politely ask for an exception.