AdHoc policy of Air France with respect to rebooking on cancelled flights

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 20, 2019
I had purchased tickets from Priceline.com on "Air France" from SFO to Mumbai India. A code shared airline flying one of the legs has ceased operations. Air France is rebooking passengers who booked with them directly. For passengers like me, they ask to contact the travel agent. When I contacted Priceline, they replied that they are unable to rebook as Air France is not co-operating. They even conferanced me with a Debbie of Air France from the Florida office. She said "Jet Airways was just a code share. Nt ours. We do not have seats for you" . When I challenged her on that assertion she just hung up. The seats not being available is far from the truth. Both Priceline.com and Air France websites show seats to my final destination on economy class on my travel dates. So I am stuck. Priceline points me to Air France and Air France points me to Priceline and when I get them together Air France says "No seats available". How do I move forward ? And I have come to know that Air France has rebooked passengers who brought from other travel agents. So why this adhoc policy of rebooking some and not others ? I realize nothing stops them from having such a policy but this is not a fly-by-night operator and should be doing better. Any help appreciated

Sep 19, 2015
How did Priceline sell the ticket? Opaque bid? Is it on AF or Jet ticket stock? Seats available during es not mean in your fare class.

Priceline owns the ticket as they sold it — that part is true and Priceline needs to do something

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Price line is your travel agent - they have to deal with this whether they think they do or not.

Here are the executive contacts at Priceline https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/priceline/

Go up the chain in writing one at a time. Someone reported here they had a code share with KLM and KLM rebooked them free of charge as a good will gesture. But Priceline is the one that has to handle this - you booked through them, they have to represent you with this.

Apr 20, 2019
How did Priceline sell the ticket? Opaque bid? Is it on AF or Jet ticket stock? Seats available during es not mean in your fare class.

Priceline owns the ticket as they sold it — that part is true and Priceline needs to do something
I am not familiar with some of these terms. I will try to explain as best as I can. I bought it from Priceline.com. I browsed the site & selected the ticket which matched my flying choices. The e-ticket for the leg shows "KLM Flight 3815 operated by Jet Airways". The ticket numbers start with 0577 if that means anything. Let me know if I was able to provide the information that you requested.

Apr 20, 2019
Price line is your travel agent - they have to deal with this whether they think they do or not.

Here are the executive contacts at Priceline https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/priceline/

Go up the chain in writing one at a time. Someone reported here they had a code share with KLM and KLM rebooked them free of charge as a good will gesture. But Priceline is the one that has to handle this - you booked through them, they have to represent you with this.
Thanks. Great information here. I will try these. These emails are not posted at their website.:) I have already sent a letter via regular mail at their physical address. I have filed a complaint at the DOT website against Priceline.com but I just do not have a feeling that the DOT does anything about it.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Thanks. Great information here. I will try these. These emails are not posted at their website.:) I have already sent a letter via regular mail at their physical address. I have filed a complaint at the DOT website against Priceline.com but I just do not have a feeling that the DOT does anything about it.
If you filed a DOT complaint - you probably will not hear from Priceline. Once you do that, they usually will no longer communicate directly because they don't want ti implicate themselves with a response that could hurt them with the DOT. .I wish you would have come here first. We can't help you once you have filed a DOT complaint either - Priceline won't answer any questions because anything they say could incriminate them with the DOT.

Sep 19, 2015
Oh dear, it is problematic that there is a DOT complaint. Now Priceline has 60 days to answer the DOT complaint and may not respond to direct communications.

So this is an AF stock ticket but flying SFO to Amsterdam to Mumbai?

Priceline should have been able to figure this out -- the airlines have asked those flying after 30 April who booked with a travel agent to go back to the agent.

Apr 20, 2019
Neil mentioned one person who received exceptional help with KLM -- but it should be noted that this person did not use an OTA and had booked directly with Jet; there was no OTA like Priceline holding control of the ticket.
yes. Those passengers who booked direct with them are receiving great help from the airlines. They consider them their "own' but not those who came from online agents

Apr 20, 2019
If you filed a DOT complaint - you probably will not hear from Priceline. Once you do that, they usually will no longer communicate directly because they don't want ti implicate themselves with a response that could hurt them with the DOT. .I wish you would have come here first. We can't help you once you have filed a DOT complaint either - Priceline won't answer any questions because anything they say could incriminate them with the DOT.
I wish too that I had come here first. We tried to resolve it with Priceline many times but were rebuffed . They even sent out an email saying "Air France not help us. Contact them for resolution OR get a refund". So I was looking for any forum that could help. We are scheduled to fly on Jun 9 & Jun 21 respectively. I am afraid to even think of the implications of this "60 day period".

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
yes. Those passengers who booked direct with them are receiving great help from the airlines. They consider them their "own' but not those who came from online agents
And that, my friend, is why we recommend booking direct. We have seen countless instances where the OTA is fine for booking but when there is a problem, they will not help. Whatever you save by booking with an OTA can come back to haunt you later and cost you hundreds more when they can't fix a problem.

You added a middleman to the mix and once a travel agency is involved, the airline can't do anything because the agency owns the booking - not you.

Apr 20, 2019
Oh dear, it is problematic that there is a DOT complaint. Now Priceline has 60 days to answer the DOT complaint and may not respond to direct communications.

So this is an AF stock ticket but flying SFO to Amsterdam to Mumbai?

Priceline should have been able to figure this out -- the airlines have asked those flying after 30 April who booked with a travel agent to go back to the agent.
I am not familiar with the term "Stock". The credit card charge details from Priceline for my ticket says "Air France 057xxxxxxxxxx". It has similar details for the other 3 tickets. But the e-ticket says "KLM FLT606 from SFO to Amsterdam, KLM Flt 3815 operated by Jet Airways Amsterdam to Mumbai". When we spoke to Priceline, they conferenced us with Air France. Does that make this a AF stock ? We thought so too that Priceline would be able to figure it out. Here is the confusing part : If AF has replacement tickets, then Priceline should't really be hesitating to use those. Why should they not ? If these are not yet available but will be in the future, why not tell us so ?

Regarding the DOT complaint, we were looking for any forum which could help us and a web search showed that site. Since we are flying in less than 60 days and they will stop talking to us, what are our options now ?

Edited by a moderator to remove ticket number.

Last edited by a moderator:

Carrie Livingston

Staff Member
Advocate
Jan 6, 2015
St Louis
The problem with purchasing through Priceline is that they may have purchased a heavily discounted fare that Air France is not willing to offer another option for the Jet Airways portion. At this point you are likely going to have to repurchase the Amsterdam to Mumbai tickets and hope for a credit from Jet Airways along with all of their other creditors.

Apr 20, 2019
The problem with purchasing through Priceline is that they may have purchased a heavily discounted fare that Air France is not willing to offer another option for the Jet Airways portion. At this point you are likely going to have to repurchase the Amsterdam to Mumbai tickets and hope for a credit from Jet Airways along with all of their other creditors.
Thank you for the response. That is the first thing we did. We looked up the fare for the single leg between Amsterdam & Mumbai. It is now much more than the cost of my round trip fare. But if it was something reasonable, I would be willing to pay. This codeshare bussiness is driving me crazy. I did not opt for Jet Air. It was Air France. Sermon coming up :) AF partnered with a rotten egg and should bear the loss just as they would have borne the profits. Ditto for Priceline. If AF is asking for a price adjustment, it should be transparent to the customer. And it really is a jungle out there. People who booked on Orbitz for the same leg were able to successfully call Orbitz and get a re-book.

Sep 19, 2015
The 057 beginning makes it an AF ticket. Can you give the fare code? As Carrie has said, it may be a heavily discounted or non public fare.

One problem may have been Priceline not knowing the right person to call. The person who had a positive resolution with KLM had to try different ways of communicating but finally got someone in a position of responsibility who understood the issue. If Priceline is just calling and getting someone with little responsibility, Priceline may easily give up.

The fact the Orbitz could get people rebooked may be an indication that the problem is Priceline and not AF.

AF does not "profit" from the code share -- and AF did not force you to chose that flight operated by Jet. That was one option -- was it the cheapest? And how would it have mattered if it was a Jet flight number, would be the same issue.

I have no idea what the DOT complaint will do; they company has 30 days to acknowledge the complaint and 60 days to answer.

Apr 20, 2019
The 057 beginning makes it an AF ticket. Can you give the fare code? As Carrie has said, it may be a heavily discounted or non public fare.

One problem may have been Priceline not knowing the right person to call. The person who had a positive resolution with KLM had to try different ways of communicating but finally got someone in a position of responsibility who understood the issue. If Priceline is just calling and getting someone with little responsibility, Priceline may easily give up.

The fact the Orbitz could get people rebooked may be an indication that the problem is Priceline and not AF.

AF does not "profit" from the code share -- and AF did not force you to chose that flight operated by Jet. That was one option -- was it the cheapest? And how would it have mattered if it was a Jet flight number, would be the same issue.

I have no idea what the DOT complaint will do; they company has 30 days to acknowledge the complaint and 60 days to answer.
What is a "fare code " ? Is it encoded in the ticket number ? where do i find it otherwise?
We tried two escalations within Priceline. It was during the 2nd escalation that we were conferenced in with AF and told that no seats were available. We did the 2nd escalation at Priceline because someone on KLM/AF official Social Media instruments told us plenty of seats were available and asked us get in touch with Priceline . Incidentally both KLM & AF have superb social media.

Mar 18, 2019
The fare code is a single letter that indicates the exact conditions of your fare. Even within economy class there are a number of fare codes, and the difference generally drives the actual price you paid but also can affect the amount of miles you earn, upgrade eligibility, and the changeability or cancellability of your tickets.

These are the Air France fare codes: https://www.airfrance.ru/RU/en/local/resainfovol/achat/fares_structure.htm

In the booking class you can see the fare classes listed in most to least expensive order.

Apr 20, 2019
The fare code is a single letter that indicates the exact conditions of your fare. Even within economy class there are a number of fare codes, and the difference generally drives the actual price you paid but also can affect the amount of miles you earn, upgrade eligibility, and the changeability or cancellability of your tickets.

These are the Air France fare codes: https://www.airfrance.ru/RU/en/local/resainfovol/achat/fares_structure.htm

In the booking class you can see the fare classes listed in most to least expensive order.
It is not on the e-ticket. But I found a Class R in the credit card receipt details

Sep 19, 2015
R is a deeply discounted economy fare, one of the lowest -- at least it is not a bulk or consolidator fare.

Priceline should be working on this for you -- they sold the ticket and that means it is under their control. The problem is getting Priceline to deal with a complex problem.

Apr 20, 2019
Thank you all guys. Now at least I know this is an issue that Priceline ought to be resolving. Whether they have the will to do so is another matter. I will try those emails listed at your site and see how far I get. I will report back in a few days
My only concern now is the DOT complaint that I started. If that shuts down channels of communication, I will need to come back here for help. I have less that 50 days left to travel. As the day of travel approaches, I need to either rebook at my own expense OR ask for a refund from priceline. The former is going to be expensive.

Would it be okay to reference this site in threads on sites like TripAdvisor where people have been experiencing the same issue ?