ACE threatened collection action plus additional 30% and lien

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Feb 9, 2016
get the acceptance of the $700 final payment in an email. Send her an email stating "as per our phone conversation, in regards to the matter xyzpdq, you and I have agreed that I will pay you $700 to settle the matter and you will release me from all liability, correct?"

on the check you need to write final settlement

Aug 7, 2017
Thank you sas80. I have everything in email because I never answer her phone. lol. The last email she just simply stated "I accept your offer of $700" and asked me to fill out the credit card information form. I was just wondering what should I do to be sure that I am released from all further liability or debt collection. Should I put something on the credit card authorization form stating I am released from all liability by them charging me the $700 if I am not writing her a check?

Feb 9, 2016
Thank you sas80. I have everything in email because I never answer her phone. lol. The last email she just simply stated "I accept your offer of $700" and asked me to fill out the credit card information form. I was just wondering what should I do to be sure that I am released from all further liability or debt collection. Should I put something on the credit card authorization form stating I am released from all liability by them charging me the $700 if I am not writing her a check?
personally, I would ask her if I could send her a cashiers check. You can write something in the memo there.

At the very least you can reply to the email asking "the claim will be completely closed after you receive the $700 credit card payment? I will never hear about this matter or rental car again?"

and get her to affirm that in email, then keep it all, hard and soft copy.

She's actually an idiot for allowing you to charge it b/c you could do a chargeback and dispute the payment

Jan 6, 2015
If you can, save the form to your computer. Then fill it out, print it and the email out, sign it, scan them both, and send it back. That way you have copy of what you sent as do they.

We do this all the time, and I think it will be a reasonable protection.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2017
Thank you for all the helpful suggestions! I will definitely do what you suggested to do my best to protect myself.
This experience really shocked me; I always thought me doing the right thing and have TWO insurances when I rent a car, but apparently it's still not enough to protect myself...

Jan 6, 2015
The most important steps that help avoid most excessive damage claims is to take pictures of the car before and after your drive away, and to have them document every dent or chip you find. That's your proof of what was/was not damaged.

In this particular case, you would also take pictures of the hail damage ...

Aug 7, 2017
I did take pictures of the hail damages and that's why I know the damages are minimal. It took me a while to see those dents after I was like "wow, I cannot believe I am so lucky my car was not damaged under the tree."
I don't know what type of car Renee had, but given that we were charged pretty much the same amount of money, it just seems like they just want to get the whole car value out of consumers. If I were to give her more than $14000, then they should just give the car to me.