Accused of smoking in room

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jul 30, 2019
I attended a social get together in up north Michigan. I booked a room at The Harrington Inn in Fremont, Michigan. While at the event I was at a bond fire while a lot of people were smoking. Needless to say my clothes reeked of smoke. Later that night I returned to my hotel room at the Harrington. I am a non smoker. Never smoked in my life. I left the room in the morning and a month later I get fined for 250 dollars. They say I smoked in the room.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
I attended a social get together in up north Michigan. I booked a room at The Harrington Inn in Fremont, Michigan. While at the event I was at a bond fire while a lot of people were smoking. Needless to say my clothes reeked of smoke. Later that night I returned to my hotel room at the Harrington. I am a non smoker. Never smoked in my life. I left the room in the morning and a month later I get fined for 250 dollars. They say I smoked in the room.
Unfortunately, clothing will pick up smoke and then release the smell into the closed room. You were charged because the room smelled of smoke and the hotel had to do additional cleaning before it could be rented again. They do not care why the room smelled of smoke, only that the room had to be cleaned before it could be used again. The $250 is not a fine; it is a cleaning fee.

You can try appealing this to the Harrington Inn management.

Jul 30, 2019
I tried to appeal with the management and explained the smoke in the clothing. They didnt care and still said i smoked in the room and the smoking charge remained on my bill.

Jul 30, 2019
The penalty i am paying for is clearly a penalty for smoking in the room. I did not smoke in the room. I feel i am being unfairly charged for something i didnt do.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Sorry I think this is bogus. If the fine is for smoking in the room, not standing next to someone smoking.

Is this an independent hotel?
I agree with Christina. There may have been a faint smell of wood smoke, but that is not an excuse to charge you a smoking fee. Make a polite written request, give them a week to respond. Then file a dispute with your credit card.

Jul 30, 2019
I called my credit card and told them it was an unauthorized charge on my card. It that the same as disputing a charge?

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
Just a follow up to my situation. I appealed the charge on my card with my credit card company. The Hotel was allowed 2 billing cycles to dispute it. The charge was removed from my card. Thank you for your advice.
Looks like hotels/motels are going to need to change the language for this rule.
If the rule is No Smoking in the room then charges should on,y be charge for that specific reason.
A person who doesn’t smoke and didn’t smoke or allow someone else to smoke in their room should not have to dispute this type of charge.
Kudos for getting this handled.

Nov 25, 2019
Smoke is smoke. It will get in everything.One thing I would do is like when I go the airport I put my keys and change in a plasic bag for the scaner. When I get back to the room and I know I smell like smoke I would strip and put close in a plastic bag and shower. New clothes. If you don't have a plastic bag some maid would extra bags in the garbage can in the room. Or if you haven't use the garbage can remove the plastic bag and use it. Some time I will have a plastic in my luggage for old clothes to wash later.
Something for the future trips.