AAdvantage/Citibank Account Opening Offer

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
May 21, 2019
I recently opened up a checking account with Citibank (did it online) for a promotion with American that would have netted me 30K bonus miles. I had to do a few things (open the account, make a debit card purchase and set up an automatic bill pay) to satisfy the requirements. I was not mobile at the time so I did everything virtually from home. I didn't do the auto bill pay correctly (did ACH instead of Citi's system that sends vendors a check directly) and didn't realize it until the promotion was over. Is there anyway American would give me some points for satisfying some requirements? The fine print in the promotion was not very clear and I thought I had done everything correctly. If I had been mobile I would have gone into the branch but I didn't have the option. Should I write a letter and who should I send it to? Thanks

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
The program is run by Citibank. You need to contact them. But I don’t see them budging, they actually make it difficult to qualify for these and love it when you don’t do every step properly so they don’t have to award anything .

We have company contacts on top of our pages. You can try contacting Citi using them. We never say no , you have nothing to lose by writing.

Sep 19, 2015
AA likely will not give points as it was not their promotion. Citibank ran the promotion and has to pay for the miles.
In general they are very rigid with the rules

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I would agree with my colleagues, but since you were not "mobile", perhaps Citi would make an exception to their usual rules. Write them a polite, concise email and ask. A very long shot, but worth a try.