AA refused to change name on ticket

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jun 10, 2021
Simple story: before Covid, girlfriend bought us tickets to San Francisco to see her sons. Because of Covid we didn't go. Girlfriend and I broke up. I have no need of ticket to S.F. I would like AA to change name on ticket to her name so I can give it back to her.

Customer service rep said this can’t be done. I asked to talk to a supervisor and was told there are no supervisors.

They said I have a credit, the value of the ticket, $308, to use until next March.

Today found email address here at Elliott for VP of Cust. svc. and sent him note as above.

Skippy

May 30, 2019
I'm aware that AA will occasionally make an exception for extenuating circumstances, such as typos and death, but not for relationship breakup. You are doing the right thing by requesting a Goodwill Gesture of an executive, but don't get your hopes up.

You can use that credit for anywhere AA flies, not just SF.

Perhaps you can use that credit for a planned trip or use to go somewhere you didn't plan, then reimburse your ex -- just a thought.

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
Not sure how you can use the credit since the ticket is in the ex-girlfriend's name, not the OP's name.

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
I seen somewhere that a vouchers can be used by anyone, that it does not have to be the same person as ticket was originally purchased for. Do you know if this is true.
You would have to check with the airline, each airline handles their vouchers differently. Also, it is important to note there is a difference between a voucher and a credit.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
When it comes to vouchers, credits, all that stuff when the airline 'has your money', things change rapidly. Confirm what you have, be sure you know exactly how to use it and when. Do NOT wait until the last minute!! Many airlines' websites lay out the 'rules' but often they're incomprehensible. And of course, you can't call for an explanation. Perusing FlyerTalk or posting a question on their airline forums may get some answers or pointers towards reality.