AA left us stranded at SFO at 1 AM

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Feb 15, 2016
Our flight from the DR to Miami (#1026) was delayed for hours because of a maintenance issue. As a result we missed our connecting flight to SFO. The booking agent in Miami was matter of fact: stay overnight in Miami and maybe get on the flight to SFO the next night or take a flight in four hours. We had been up since 4 am and just wanted to end this airport fiasco. We asked about transportation once in SFO as the BART stops working at midnight. The manager, Luis, said they would pay for for a Super Shuttle. The connecting flight (#1586) was delayed for an hour, causing us to arrive in SF about 1 AM. The AA agent in SF said that Super Shuttle stopped running at midnight, leaving us with the option to put our 70+ year old bodies on the airport floor until 5 AM when BART started again or to take a taxi. This helpful agent gave us an address to send our taxi voucher to AA for reimbursement, assuring us that it would be paid. Now AA refuses to pay the $100. It seems preposterous that they would have gladly paid for an overnight + meals in Miami, but refuses to pay for this voucher. Would they expect their grandparents to sleep on the floor?

Aug 28, 2015
New York
Our flight from the DR to Miami (#1026) was delayed for hours because of a maintenance issue. As a result we missed our connecting flight to SFO. The booking agent in Miami was matter of fact: stay overnight in Miami and maybe get on the flight to SFO the next night or take a flight in four hours. We had been up since 4 am and just wanted to end this airport fiasco. We asked about transportation once in SFO as the BART stops working at midnight. The manager, Luis, said they would pay for for a Super Shuttle. The connecting flight (#1586) was delayed for an hour, causing us to arrive in SF about 1 AM. The AA agent in SF said that Super Shuttle stopped running at midnight, leaving us with the option to put our 70+ year old bodies on the airport floor until 5 AM when BART started again or to take a taxi. This helpful agent gave us an address to send our taxi voucher to AA for reimbursement, assuring us that it would be paid. Now AA refuses to pay the $100. It seems preposterous that they would have gladly paid for an overnight + meals in Miami, but refuses to pay for this voucher. Would they expect their grandparents to sleep on the floor?
This exact same thing happened to me!!! Recently. I took a service called Uber pool, which is just uber (a taxi service) but pool bc I had to share it with 2 German tourists for my ride into the city. It was $15 and the tourists were very cool. Can you give the approx location you had to go to from SFO so we can check if $100 is a reasonable price. I have paid that from SFO but it was for black car service and very far so obviously that is not something an airline would cover. Were you going to Santa Cruz, etc?

Feb 15, 2016
This exact same thing happened to me!!! Recently. I took a service called Uber pool, which is just uber (a taxi service) but pool bc I had to share it with 2 German tourists for my ride into the city. It was $15 and the tourists were very cool. Can you give the approx location you had to go to from SFO so we can check if $100 is a reasonable price. I have paid that from SFO but it was for black car service and very far so obviously that is not something an airline would cover. Were you going to Santa Cruz, etc?
We live in the Oakland hills, which is about a good 45 minute drive. The Yellow Cab added $5 for the bridge toll.

Oct 5, 2015
American Airlines specific promise for missed connections is here below.
If they failed to deliver, then complain to the DOT because they consider that unfair and deceptive business practices.

Responsibility for schedules and operations
American will endeavor to carry you and your baggage with reasonable dispatch, but times shown in timetables or elsewhere are not guaranteed and form no part of this contract. American may, without notice, substitute alternate carriers or aircraft and, if necessary, may alter or omit stopping places shown on the ticket. Schedules are subject to change without notice. American is not responsible for or liable for failure to make connections, or to operate any flight according to schedule, or for a change to the schedule of any flight. Under no circumstances shall American be liable for any special, incidental or consequential damages arising from the foregoing.

Delays, cancellations and diversions
American Airlines will provide customers at the airport and onboard an affected aircraft with timely and frequent updates regarding known delays, cancellations and diversions and will strive to provide the best available information concerning the duration of delays and to the extent available, the flight's anticipated departure time.

We are not responsible for any special, incidental or consequential damages if we do not meet this commitment.

When cancellations and major delays are experienced, you will be rerouted on our next flight with available seats. If the delay or cancellation was caused by events within our control and we do not get you to your final destination on the expected arrival day, we will provide reasonable overnight accommodations, subject to availability.

In extreme circumstances, it is possible that a flight will cancel while on the ground in the city to which it was diverted. When this happens you will be rerouted on the next American flight with available seats, or in some circumstances on another airline or some other alternative means of transportation. If we are unable to reroute you, reasonable overnight accommodations will be provided by American, subject to availability.

American will provide amenities for delayed passengers, necessary to maintain the safety and/or welfare of certain passengers such as customers with disabilities, unaccompanied children, the elderly or others to whom such amenities will be furnished consistent with special needs and/or circumstances.

Essential needs during extraordinary delays
In the case of extraordinary events that result in very lengthy onboard delays, American will make every reasonable effort to ensure that essential needs of food (snack bar such as Nutri-Grain®), water, restroom facilities, and basic medical assistance are met.

We are not responsible for any special, incidental or consequential damages if we do not meet this commitment.

technomage1

Verified Member
Jan 5, 2015
@Millies,

If they promised to pay for a cab, then they should do so. Write a short, polite email to the first executive on our Comany Contact list (the link at the top of the page). Don't write the CEO yet and don't email them all at once. Wait a week, if you get no response, then move on to the next one.

Explain you had no option but to take a taxi due to the hour, tell them an agent promised you'd be paid back, and ask for reimbursement. Attach a copy of the taxi receipt, too.

Be patient, persistent, and polite.

Please let us know of any questions or updates, and good luck.

Oct 5, 2015
Would they expect their grandparents to sleep on the floor?
Why? Did you actually stay overnight? I think you really need to explain a little bit.

Flight Schedules:
1*O#AA1026 SDQMIA- 930A1059A 757
2*O#AA 987 SDQMIA- 305P 434P 757
3*O#AA1481 SDQMIA- 437P 609P 757

1*O#AA 167 MIASFO- 700A1024A 738
2*O#AA1130 MIASFO- 505P 830P 738
3*O#AA1586 MIASFO- 929P1255A#1 738

It seems that you were on the earliest flight from SDQ to MIA which departs at 930AM. (Why you were awake at 4AM is really irrelevant.)

You said it was delayed several hours into MIA and you missed your connection.
I am guessing you were on the 5PM flight out of MIA. Then you said you were moved to (what's really the NEXT) flight AA1586. That is only about 4 hours later than your original flight. That said, I find it really difficult why an airport agent will start promising you free transportation, etc. for only being approximately 4 hours late. You did NOT even stay overnight, did you? So why did you even bring that question up?

I can see why AA denied your claim. Either you met a bunch of lying agents who just wanted you to leave their desk or AA believes you request is quite frivolous (given the duration of the delay). If AA brought you to San Jose instead of SFO, then you might had more grounds to be given land transportation. Ah, and finally, I just want to say you cannot get stranded at your final destination (SFO). I thought that was rather obvious.

You have nothing to lose to write the letter but don't get your hopes up too high.

Last edited: