AA elderly parents

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Nov 14, 2017
I understand your point, but again it took HOURS to get a wheelchair and the staff was very rude in helping my mum navigate the "system" you describe. My parents are very sweet and I know for a fact there would have been no need to be rude or mean to them.

I think it is reasonably foreseeable to think that if there are cancellations then demand/need for things like a wheelchairs will go up?

Feb 9, 2016
I think it is reasonably foreseeable to think that if there are cancellations then demand/need for things like a wheelchairs will go up?
Sure, it's definitely reasonable for any person to understand that, if there are itinerary cancellations/interruptions, the demand for several services is going to increase.

The unforeseeable/unknowable part is when those cancellations are going to occur. The airport cant leave wheelchairs sitting around, they would get destroyed. And it's not reasonable to pay people to sit and wait for the opportunity to assist someone in need of a wheelchair, at a moments notice.

The situation your parents encountered was that they were part of a large group of everyone else whom was trying to travel and also needed assistance during that time.

If your father would potentially need a wheelchair I'm confused why it wasn't pre arranged. If the argument was "well, if everything had gone smoothly, there would be no need" you now understand that it's better to plan that everything is going to be disrupted when you travel. Arrange for your anticipated and potential travel needs.

If your parents were going to need to stay overnight to make the new flight, one solution would have been for you/you mom to call the airport directly and ask for a wheel chair to be brought to the area. Your mom could have sat your dad down and found a white courtesy phone to call and ask for one.

It was an unfortunate situation that was compounded by a chaotic situation as employees tried to assist everyone and lack of knowledge on the part of the travelers.

Your best bet, if you want to get them a larger voucher, is to be polite and ask for what you want. Once you get what you want THEN you vent. Write your letter about what occurred in as much angry, dramatic and emotional language as you want.

Moving forward be on the travel offensive. Instead of expecting everything to go smoothly, expect everything to go wrong, and plan ahead.

Expectations are pre meditated resentments - as you now know.

Happy holidays to you and your parents!

Nov 14, 2017
I don't disagree, but my mum wasn't expecting assistance at a moment's notice, she was in fact very patient and waited for hours. The bad weather certainly was not a surprise. Regardless, the wheelchair was not the only issue, I find it very disappointing that AA tried to charge my parents $75 each to get back on a direct flight. I'm not sure my mum would have known to find a white phone, but that could have been something an AA employee told her about when she asked for help/guidance. Not everyone knows the airports inside and out. This was the first time my dad had flown since the accident, so next time I will request a wheelchair as a precaution regardless of his need.

Tonight I booked flights for myself and avoided anything flights with AA because it is just too stressful dealing with them. I had issues when I flew with them in January and now so did my parents. I've never had issues with any other airline and I have flown quite a bit.

I have tried to call the number the rep called me from, but he did not leave an extension and you need one to get through to a rep? He did not respond to my recent emails.

Happy holidays to you, too!

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I just got off a flight at JFK from China. There were 12 attendants with th wheelchairs waiting and I decided to ask about your parents situation.

Two of the men told me if it is not ore-ordered it can take hours to get a wheelchair. They told me they are assigned by flight to pick up and drop off and if someone needs one who didn't put it in the booking- they to wait until there is a free attendant. And they both days yes, it could take hours.

Feb 9, 2016
Here I am sitting at Dallas love and I've passed 4 wheelchairs and there are 3 more at the gate.... Southwest

Last edited:

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
@Aurora your best bet is to write, not call. Please start with the first name on the contacts page and see how they respond. Trust us, this has worked numerous times in the past. You are not asking for an unreasonable amount of compensation so I think your chances are good.

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
Here I am sitting at Dallas love and I've passed 4 wheelchairs and they're are 3 more at the gate.... Southwest
LOL. That’s peanuts compared to SW@RSW and probably any airport in FL. Since there are no seat assignments in on SW that’s how to get an up front seat, claim pre-board need and order a wheelchair.
I have seen anywhere from 12-20 wheelchairs ar SW gates at RSW.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
LOL. That’s peanuts compared to SW@RSW and probably any airport in FL. Since there are no seat assignments in on SW that’s how to get an up front seat, claim pre-board need and order a wheelchair.
I have seen anywhere from 12-20 wheelchairs ar SW gates at RSW.
Since you can get pre-boarded using a cane, I fail to see why people are going through this charade with the wheelchairs. It's kind of sickening to think that they don't mind 'taking away' a chair from someone who really needs it. Same mentality as the 'companion pets' I guess.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Since you can get pre-boarded using a cane, I fail to see why people are going through this charade with the wheelchairs. It's kind of sickening to think that they don't mind 'taking away' a chair from someone who really needs it. Same mentality as the 'companion pets' I guess.
We traveled with friends in and out of JFK. They refurbished Terminal 4 a few years ago and it's nearly one mile from the furthest terminal to baggage claim. Our friends ordered wheelchairs because they were too lazy to walk. We were appalled. They urged my wife (with by-lateral hop and knee replacement and she' s in pain every day) at least to get one. She told them that she was embarrassed and wouldn't even walk with them. (And yes, we beat them them to baggage claim anyway)

My wife was in the first row of a JetBlue flight when she heard the FA say this is a miracle flight. She asked him why. His reply was "Because you'll see the miraculous recovery all the folks that came in in wheelchairs and with canes. They can all suddenly walk to be first off the plane."

May 17, 2016
I agree. In her anger, she just doesn't get it. With her father's disabilities I'm amazed they didn't order a wheelchair in the first place. And, particularly with air travel, it's wise to expect the unexpected. I hope she simmers down and faces reality.

Aug 9, 2017
The airline is responsible for supplying or arranging for a wheelchair (DOT rule (Title 14 CFR Part 382). In some instances, the airline will contract with a local company to handle wheelchairs, but the airline, not the airport, is responsible for handling passengers.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
The airline is responsible for supplying or arranging for a wheelchair (DOT rule (Title 14 CFR Part 382). In some instances, the airline will contract with a local company to handle wheelchairs, but the airline, not the airport, is responsible for handling passengers.
As long as the know about the need for one- thus the importance of contacting the special needs department of the airline you use