A quick question

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Is it traditional for a travel agency to honor current promotions for a trip/package already booked? In a nutshell, we booked a Disney World package last August (2014) for 15 people at approximately $17000. The dates are June 9 – June 13, 2015. Now there is a promotion for February 2015 offering 30% off rooms until June 15.. I know that legally we don’t have a chance, but morally I think we have a case. The agency involved is AAA.

I don't want to risk ruining our vacation, but 30% of $17000 would buy us some food at Disney World!

Grant Ritchie

Dependable adequacy :-)
Oct 1, 2014
Is it traditional for a travel agency to honor current promotions for a trip/package already booked? In a nutshell, we booked a Disney World package last August (2014) for 15 people at approximately $17000. The dates are June 9 – June 13, 2015. Now there is a promotion for February 2015 offering 30% off rooms until June 15.. I know that legally we don’t have a chance, but morally I think we have a case. The agency involved is AAA.

I don't want to risk ruining our vacation, but 30% of $17000 would buy us some food at Disney World!
Hi Helen,

"morally" may be enough with Disney. They're pretty decent folks.

Usually, I'd provide you with contact information for the Disney World executives, and suggest that you make a series of polite appeals for an accommodation. In this case, however (and to my surprise), I couldn't find any contacts in our database.

So, I've put out a call to our research team to scout up some info, and will post it here as soon as it comes in. Sorry about the delay.

B

bodega3

Grant, Helen needs to be talking with her travel agent. Please let her go back to her agent and work from there. She is under a package that has change and cancel fee, so there is more to this than you are aware of.

Grant Ritchie

Oct 1, 2014
Grant, Helen needs to be talking with her travel agent. Please let her go back to her agent and work from there. She is under a package that has change and cancel fee, so there is more to this than you are aware of.
Thanks, Bodega. Good catch. I skipped right past the mention of a travel agency. :oops:

Grant Ritchie

Oct 1, 2014
Hi Helen,

Have you spoken to your travel agent yet? Chris is aware of your situation, and asks that you inform us if you don't receive satisfaction from your agent. He has a "Plan B" ready to go.

Grant

Today we went to see our travel agent, however Sue was off today. We saw Sally instead with no real resolution. We feel as though we are in a black hole: Booked in 2014 so we couldn’t get the 2015 AAA rates or promotions, traveling in 2015 so we can’t take advantage of the 2014 AAA prices. Sally was very nice, but the only thing she could offer us was $400 off our $17000 bill. We decided not to go through the hassle of switching from the Polynesian Village to the Grand Floridian outbuilding, the only rooms available. The $400 saving wasn’t significant enough and my son’s Cinderella, Star Wars, etc. reservations would be lost. As the answers on the Forum suggested, our Polynesian Village rooms were not available for this promotion. The Westlake office manager, Heidi, will call us on Wednesday.

Grant Ritchie

Oct 1, 2014
Today we went to see our travel agent, however Sue was off today. We saw Sally instead with no real resolution. We feel as though we are in a black hole: Booked in 2014 so we couldn’t get the 2015 AAA rates or promotions, traveling in 2015 so we can’t take advantage of the 2014 AAA prices. Sally was very nice, but the only thing she could offer us was $400 off our $17000 bill. We decided not to go through the hassle of switching from the Polynesian Village to the Grand Floridian outbuilding, the only rooms available. The $400 saving wasn’t significant enough and my son’s Cinderella, Star Wars, etc. reservations would be lost. As the answers on the Forum suggested, our Polynesian Village rooms were not available for this promotion. The Westlake office manager, Heidi, will call us on Wednesday.
Wow! $400 back on a $17K bill? Lucky you. :rolleyes:

Just keep in mind, Helen... "It's always dark before the dawn."

Of course, it's pretty dark right before you get sucked into a black hole, too, but let's keep a happy thought. :p

Grant (with fingers crossed)

B

bodega3

$400 is good. Not sure what the black hole you are referring to. Do you understand how packages work?

Jan 8, 2015
If I am reading the initial complaint correctly, the amount would not be 30% of $17k. It would be 30% of the room rate portion of that $17k. If the package included tickets at $500 for each person plus food costs then the 30% will be FAR, FAR less. Also as mentioned later, the rooms booked aren't part of the promotion, so an offer of $400 might be a very fair offer.

Rather than feeling like you are in a black hole, be happy and look forward to your vacation. You are spoending time with your family that you may never get a chance to have again.

Last edited:
You are correct.
My husband talked with Heidi (the manager at AAA, Westlake Ohio) this morning.

The results of this conversation are nothing! They (the AAA personnel) have not been nasty or mean to us, only firm and adamant that they are doing all that they can. (I don’t really believe this.)

To recap my story:

· In August of 2014 we spoke with AAA agent Sue Davis (Westlake, OH) about a Disney vacation to take place in June, 2015. Involved are 15 people in four rooms. She showed us the 2014 rates with the then-applicable 2014 AAA discount. She wrote the contract using the 2015 Disney World rates with no AAA discount for 2015 was available at this time. Sue assured us verbally that there would be a similar (to 2014) discount for 2015. Unfortunately, AAA and Disney did not sign a contract for 2015. Therefore, no AAA discount was available for 2015.

· Because we signed in 2014 we are not eligible for the 2015 AAA promotions (the big one is 30% off packages) (We just found out that this promotion does not apply to the Polynesian Village where our reservations are). AAA did give us $75 off per room (a negligible $300 total off a $17,000 bill).

· This is to be a 50th anniversary trip and possibly the last one we will take as a complete family. I don’t want to ruin it with unpleasantness and haggling. Should I just drop this issue?

· What I would have liked would have been either the 2014 rates or a similar AAA discount (10-20%). I guess this is not to be. Let this serve as a cautionary tale to future travelers not to trust anybody, even companies that they consider “blue chip”. Caveat Emptor!

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Please don't say you don't trust people. I don't think you understand how resort pricing works. AAA cannot book you for a 2015 stay at 2014 prices. I am pretty sure Disney did not have their 2015 prices out when you booked. AAA has no control over that- Disney or any other resort won't sell rooms if they don't have pricing set at the time you booked.

The agents did not have any idea or no way to know that Disney wasn't going to re-sign a contract with them either. If Disney didn't re-sign a contract that usually means that they aren't allowing AAA to discount their rooms or packages anymore.

I think you should be happy with what you were given since you admittedly state the sale doesn't apply to the Polynesian Village. Or you still have the option to change to one of the resorts it does apply to.

I have clients that want to book a destination wedding for March of 2016 but can't because the resort doesn't have pricing this early. It is just the way the world of travel works.

Enjoy your 50th anniversary, you'll have many wonderful moments to remember in this trip.