A Damage Claim from 2016 Haunting Me

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Feb 5, 2019
Hey Everyone,

Hoping someone can chime in and help!

Back in 2016 a vehicle I had rented from National ended up being claimed as damaged.

Since the ‘damage’ until now, I have rented 32 times with no issues.

I have since been in contact with an EHI employee who is unhelpful and not willing to investigate further and the Damage Recovery Team hasn’t responded to any of my emails addressing my concerns.

Essentially, the vehicle was returned on Jan 6 2016 (approx 6:30pm) with 5,412 KM. On Jan 11 2016 with 5,431 KM it was reported damaged, and Jan 12 2016 an estimate was done for the vehicle.

20 KM was put on the vehicle and the damage was found 5 days later (see date on window), I am trying to figure out my responsibility in this claim.

EHI’s process that if the damage was found on return they would write on the vehicle where the damage was with the returned date (01/06) not 01/11.

The EHI employee states the damage could have only been done by me, but I am in disagreement with that.

There’s people who check in the vehicle and move the vehicle up in the line and there’s people who return the vehicle back to the garage for cleaning and maintenance, who’s to say it wasn’t them that caused it?

Please help!

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
This has been going on for 3 years? I’m not sure why that mileage hasn’t kicked this right back. You returned it at a certain mileage and they show more mileage when they discovered it. Someone drove it several miles and that’s who they need to find.

Have you dealt with the Executives at Enterprise or just the local office?

Use this and start with the Executives we show for Enterprise.?

https://forum.elliott.org/threads/how-to-deal-with-a-car-rental-damage-claim.1514/

Feb 5, 2019
Honestly, I have spoken to the manager and the risk manager and the local damage control people and no movement from them.

My argument is valid, the damage is clear as day and would be noticed immediately upon return.

No damage report until 20 KM later and it was 5 days later until the damage was dealt with.

Any advice is appreciated! I miss renting from National as Hertz is being a pain in rear when it comes to getting a full-size car at any time of the week.

Feb 5, 2019
So you have followed our instructions and written to every executive on the post, waiting a week in between each letter?
Yup, I started last month. I got the info from Flyertalk, clicked on the link and sent an email to David Jan 24 and Christine on Feb 1.

Carrie Livingston

Staff Member
Advocate
Jan 6, 2015
St Louis
Then click here and fill out the form. Provide a link to this thread and tell them (direct advocacy) that you've followed the process and will provide the paper trail when asked. If they think they can handle the case, they will get involved.

Feb 5, 2019
Then click here and fill out the form. Provide a link to this thread and tell them (direct advocacy) that you've followed the process and will provide the paper trail when asked. If they think they can handle the case, they will get involved.
Already done so, got the email to post and ask here on the forum.

Carrie Livingston

Staff Member
Advocate
Jan 6, 2015
St Louis
In your original help request I don't believe you mentioned that you had followed the process and had not received a response. Please reply to the email that you received and state that you have posted to the forums and provide the link. Then let them know that you have followed the process but have not received a response from the executives. They will take another look at your case and see if they can get a response.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
They are going to need all copies of your emails to each executive so make sure you have that ready.

Just be aware though that we don’t advocate car rental damage cases as in almost every case writing using our company contacts works. This is the first I’ve heard of someone writing to every executive and not getting a single response.

From our FAQS:

Are there any cases you don’t mediate?

Yes. Here’s a partial list:

Airfares that go up after selecting a flight option (caching).
Airline seat comfort issues, including in-flight entertainment systems that don’t work.
Any case involving legal action against a company or customer.
Asking a company to honor an obvious price error.
Car rental damage cases.
Cases submitted on behalf of a third party.
Compensation for delays that resulted in lost vacation or work days.
Getting a refund for a nonrefundable airline ticket or hotel room.
Missing or expired loyalty points.
Recently lost or misplaced luggage.
Visa/passport problems that led to denied boarding.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Where, exactly, do you stand with this situation? Is someone attempting to make you pay for these so-called damages? Or are you just worried that they might? If a renter "damages a vehicle", the rental company needs to prove their claim. Do not have any more contact by phone; keep it all in writing. Please let us know where this "claim" stands right now. Rental car companies have been up to some incredible shenanigans over the past few years, and they know it. Sometimes it seems that they randomly decide that someone damaged one of their vehicles and they send out a "bill" for damages; it must work because they keep doing it. Rarely has a "victim" not prevailed when following our advice carefully.

Feb 5, 2019
Where, exactly, do you stand with this situation? Is someone attempting to make you pay for these so-called damages? Or are you just worried that they might? If a renter "damages a vehicle", the rental company needs to prove their claim. Do not have any more contact by phone; keep it all in writing. Please let us know where this "claim" stands right now. Rental car companies have been up to some incredible shenanigans over the past few years, and they know it. Sometimes it seems that they randomly decide that someone damaged one of their vehicles and they send out a "bill" for damages; it must work because they keep doing it. Rarely has a "victim" not prevailed when following our advice carefully.
The claim right now still stands as it is, and they won’t budge.

My guess is someone damaged the vehicle between the return and the garage and no one owned up the damage.. Further to that - the vehicle was parked to go back to the lot (five days and 20 KM later) and the damage was found, they assumed the renter ‘me’ caused the damage and should pay for the damage caused.

They argue that a manager sees the damage before the car even moves, but that process doesn’t make sense because on an EHI damage report it would require a managers signature (which it doesn’t, and doesn’t exist).

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
The claim right now still stands as it is, and they won’t budge.

My guess is someone damaged the vehicle between the return and the garage and no one owned up the damage.. Further to that - the vehicle was parked to go back to the lot (five days and 20 KM later) and the damage was found, they assumed the renter ‘me’ caused the damage and should pay for the damage caused.

They argue that a manager sees the damage before the car even moves, but that process doesn’t make sense because on an EHI damage report it would require a managers signature (which it doesn’t, and doesn’t exist).
OK, I wasn't clear. How do you know there is a claim? How and when were you informed? What kind of follow-up has there been? What do your emails say that haven't been responded to? What kind of deadlines have been stated? Have you been contacted recently? How did the contact happen: phone, email, USPS? Is your credit card vulnerable? Is the claim in collections? Perhaps you could just make a list of the facts in chronological order. We want to help you but we need to know exactly what has happened and where you're at now.

Feb 5, 2019
OK, I wasn't clear. How do you know there is a claim? How and when were you informed? What kind of follow-up has there been? What do your emails say that haven't been responded to? What kind of deadlines have been stated? Have you been contacted recently? How did the contact happen: phone, email, USPS? Is your credit card vulnerable? Is the claim in collections? Perhaps you could just make a list of the facts in chronological order. We want to help you but we need to know exactly what has happened and where you're at now.
- I know there was a claim as I was put on the DNR list.

- I did my Follow-Up with the Damage Recovery Unit and the local manager, and local Risk Manager

Further to that, sent one email on 01-25 to David Nestor and on 02-01 to Christine Taylor-Broughton and on both days I sent the same email to ‘Customerservice@nationalcar.com’ and filled out an online form.

- My emails outline the issue (the claim with the claim number), the argument (that the damage wasn’t caused by me and reasons why it may have been damaged by another party), and the resolution (asking for the claim to be forgiven) and I have attached the billing notice .pdf along with other documents as proof.

- No deadlines have been set by any EHI representative.

- I have only been contacted via telephone and email by the local risk manager who advises me that it will not be forgiven even though the vehicle was probably damaged by their third party driver moving it from the terminal to the garage.

- My credit card is not vulnerable.

- Unsure if the claim is in collections to be honest.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Carrie told you what you need to do now in post 12. Please follow her directions as there isn’t anything else we can do for you here. The writers need to look at the case and see if they can do anything more and they are going to need copies of every email you sent to every executive.