$95 additional charge for changing cell service?

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Sep 20, 2015
Hi--Was wondering if anyone has experience in dealing with AT&T on this one...I saw my data usage was going up, so I switched plans on line to a higher usage plan that does not charge for overage (it just throttles a bit when you get to your limit). I figured since I was going to a higher level service, they wouldn't charge me anything different except for the difference in plans (About $15/mo). Well, I got my bill today, and it was $95.33 higher. I called AT&T and they said it was due to pro-rating the bill. I was not informed of this additional charge when I booked it--I even called AT&T the next day after I changed to remove a device, and I asked what the final charge would be, and it was what I expected.

Do I have any reasonable chance of removing this charge if I run it by the executive contacts? (The agent I spoke with today could not remove it, so I decided to switch to e-mail).

Thanks-- MV Flyer

PS--The $95 charge is a one time thing, not a monthly increase

Mar 23, 2015
What is the total monthly bill and where during the cycle did you change plans? It sounds like you were billed part of the month for your current plan and then the $95 was for the remainder of the month at the new plan PLUS probably the next month in advance. It should spell out pretty clearly on the itemization what zackly it's for. If not, take it into your local store and ask them to explain it.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
What is the total monthly bill and where during the cycle did you change plans? It sounds like you were billed part of the month for your current plan and then the $95 was for the remainder of the month at the new plan PLUS probably the next month in advance. It should spell out pretty clearly on the itemization what zackly it's for. If not, take it into your local store and ask them to explain it.
That’s correct. They have to stop your billing cycle and revise the remaining days to the new charges. It should work itself out in your next billing cycle.

Sep 20, 2015
Hi Mel--thanks for the reply. From what i see on the bill, it just added ~$23 per line for four lines in the listing for the previous bill vs current bill. It also doesn't really say what it's for anywhere--that's why I called. I changed it with about a week left in the monthly cycle.

What irks me is that I'm paying an extra $95 for changing my service, which I would not have done if this were disclosed to me. The website did disclose "pro-rating" the bill, without any dollar amounts, which I logically figured meant the higher rate for the new servie. I don't think it's prepayment for the next month as my monthly service is over $200/month and the overage is only $95.

Sep 20, 2015
That’s correct. They have to stop your billing cycle and revise the remaining days to the new charges. It should work itself out in your next billing cycle.
Hi Neil--thanks for replying. Does this mean my bill next month should be lower, reflecting a $95 pre-payment? If that's the case, why couldn't the agent tell me this? It certainly seems to me that I'm paying an additional $95.

Sep 20, 2015
@Neil--Yes, I did, and all he said was that it was a pro-rated charge for cancelling one service and adding another. No mention of whether the charge would be accounted for in the next bill. The agent did say my bill would revert back to its normal monthly charge next month, but not reflecting the $95 charge credit.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2015
Finally got a very enterprising young agent who figured they did over bill me. My account is not paid forward, but backwards, and the system failed to calculate this. It ended up charging me for what I had used without crediting me the amount of the old plan that I did not use. Got about $71 back of the $95 they tried to charge me, so I'm happy.

AT&T must understand that this is difficult to calculate. They have an entry on their website just for calculating pro-rated bills, but in my case, they still got it wrong:)

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
ATT is mostly hopeless. I'm glad you found an enterprising agent who could figure out what happened. Dealing with ATT is one of those scenarios where you sometimes need to politely hang up and call back ten minutes later. You can tell if you are talking to a humanized procedures manual or a real agent. The good ones should be PRIZED. Of course, they're good so they get promoted rapidly. Thanks so much for letting us know the outcome.