$9467,08 claim from Sedgwick after accident (not at fault)

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Dec 18, 2018
On 09/27/2018 we rented a car from Avis at Seattle Airport. The Avis desk clerk handed us a car key and a voucher to exit the garage, and we were on our way. Then, 20 minutes into our holiday, a truck hit us in the rear on the Seattle highway. We were part of a multiple collision. The driver that caused the accident was insured, police came and filled out a report, and we were towed back to the airport. There the man at the Avis desk was not communicative at all. We asked him if he needed the police report, twice, without a reply. He then gave us a new car key without any word. We were on our way and being insured for loss or damage and having an excess of 0 dollars, we thought that was the end of it.

Then, two months after the accident, I received a claim for a staggering amount of $9467,08 from Sedgwick. I contacted the Avis customer service via phone several times, and every time they told me they had made my query “top priority” and would get back at me asap. This was three weeks ago. I sent them an email with all the photos I took of the accident, the police report stating it was not my fault, my rental confirmation email stating I was insured and had an excess of 0 dollars. No reply.

I honestly do not know what else to do. I’m a Dutch citizen and damage claims are handled so differently over here. They can just claim the damage at the insurance company of the driver who hit me. Avis now sent me a tweet that I should communicate with Sedgwick about this, but I do not have any contract with Sedgwick. I can really use your advice. It’s such a lot of money.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
"Then, two months after the accident, I received a claim for a staggering amount of $9467,08 from Sedgwick. "
This claim letter must have contact information included.

The process of this type of claim may take 2-3 mos to resolve once it is initiated. You will need to provide Sedgwick copies (not originals) of all the materials you have regarding this event. They will need to set up a process where you can send the materials to them. It will not be resolved quickly. They need to investigate and be paid by the responsible party and their insurance, including the insurance you have through Avis, not by you.
Do not pay Sedgwick any money.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Didn't you have your own insurance? Did you purchase the policy the car rental company offered? You still need your own insurance to drive here just for this reason. Weather the other driver has insurance or not, he may not have insurance that would cover collision damage to your car.

If you didn't purchase any insurance, you are on the hook for the damages, regardless of whether or not the other driver had insurance.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Didn't you have your own insurance? Did you purchase the policy the car rental company offered? You still need your own insurance to drive here just for this reason. Weather the other driver has insurance or not, he may not have insurance that would cover collision damage to your car.

If you didn't purchase any insurance, you are on the hook for the damages, regardless of whether or not the other driver had insurance.
"We were on our way and being insured for loss or damage and having an excess of 0 dollars, we thought that was the end of it. "

Dec 18, 2018
We paid for the loss damage waiver, personal accident insurance and 3rd party liability protection when we rented the car, and an excess of $0. That was the maximum insurance/coverage that Avis offered. I have insurance in the Netherlands, but that is on my own car.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Then a claim still needs to be filed with the insurance company from the car rental. I would suggest using our company contacts for Avis and writing to them and advising you had the insurance and should not have to pay this claim, that it should be submitted to Avis. Avis should have filed the claim but apparently Sedgwick doesn't know this. This should be a simple fix for the OP.

OP, did you send Sedgwick the information on the insurance and tell them to contact Avis?

Dec 18, 2018
I don’t have any information on the insurance, just a confirmation email of my coverage on the booking. I haven’t contacted Sedgwick yet, just Avis, who told me several times that they would get into it and only today sent me a tweet that they could do nothing for me, and I need to contact Sedgwick. So I guess I will send Sedgwick an e-mail now with all the info I have.

Dec 18, 2018
On 30/11 Avis wrote to me: “Thank you for the additional information. I have reviewed your case ###### and see it has already been escalated this morning and is under investigation. You will be contacted if we have any questions for you, or upon resolution. We appreciate your patience during the investigation process.”

Today they wrote: “Hi Eline! I'm sorry, our Customer Service group is unable to directly assist in these matters. Any questions on this issue should be addressed directly with the processor who sent you the letter. Their contact info is ....”

Which person should I contact next? My case was escalated weeks ago..

Dec 18, 2018
Wait, if LDW was purchased then why is Sedgwick involved? Hoping this is a miscommunication. Am I understanding this correctly?
I have no idea.. Annoying thing is that we don’t have a receipt from when we picked up the car. The receipt from our replacement car (same exact amount and terms) clearly states the LDW though.

Sep 19, 2015
Since AVIS sold ESpaanjart the LDW, and was not responsible for the accident, Avis and or Sedgwick should not even be contacting them. if Avis wants to recoup money from the at fault driver (the truck) then they should go after them. Sorry this has happened to the OP.

Dec 18, 2018
Thank you everyone for your help and reassuring words. Tonight was the first night in weeks that I've had a decent night of sleep.
I've contacted the manager and Avis and will keep you updated. I hope this will be resolved quickly!

Sep 19, 2015
ESpanjaart it is ridiculous that you are being bothered with this. The point of paying for LDW etc is that the renter has no financial responsibility in case of loss damage etc except when one violates the contract (driving unpaved road, driving while intoxicated). Since there was another driver at fault and this was on a major road again the company should not be bothering you.

I know that route very well from Sea Tac airport and there are a lot of careless drivers — tailgating etc.

If Avis wants to file a claim against the at fault driver that is their responsibility.

I am glad that you were not injured and hope that you were able to enjoy the trip.

I get the full coverage when I am abroad with zero excess— last year in Italy there was a minor collision issue and I drove the car back and exchanged it— and did not hear anything again from the rental company which is how it is supposed to work.

Keep us updated and hoping this is resolved soon.

Dec 18, 2018
I've received an email from Corey Harp that the LDW coverage would apply to this incident and I will not be pursued for these damages going forward. Finally feel like I can breathe again. They are having trouble finding the 3rd party, whose information I gave to the man at the Avis desk at Seattle Airport. I expect this is where all the trouble started.

I have filed an official complaint with Mr. Harp about how I've been treated by Avis customer service. They've lost a loyal customer. What I also find staggering is that there hasn't been an apology yet. That would be the least they can do.

Thank you all so very much for your help! I wouldn't have resolved this so quickly if it wasn't for you and am so happy I can now have a Christmas without this hanging over me. I hope you realize how much your professional input means to people like me, who easily get lost in all the hassle.

I wish you all happy holidays!

Sep 19, 2015
That is great news — but this should not have happened since you paid for full coverage. You did everything right. Avis can pursue the third party through the police report. That is not your problem just like it would not be a problem if elephants had escaped from the zoo and trampled the car. You paid for the LDW.

Happy Holidays and best wishes for less stressful travel in the New Year.