Iberia Airlines - delays luggage, fails to provide information after 8 days

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
Jul 20, 2018
On Friday July 13th, I flew with Iberia Airlines (ticket purchased through American Airlines) from Dubrovnik to Madrid and from Madrid to New York (JFK) coming back from a family vacation. Upon arriving in JFK I waited at baggage claim for approximately an hour before an attendant informed the passengers still waiting for their luggage that that was all of it. We were instructed to go to an office to put a claim for delayed luggage. There was a line of approximately 30 people all from the same flight as I at that office, all of them whose luggage had been delayed waiting to speak to one of only two employees at the office. After waiting in line for another hour, I was finally able to speak to the representative who informed be that my luggage would be delivered the next day. I provided them with my contact information, bag and ticket information and descriptions of my suitcase. Despite feeling very angry at the time, I decided it was not that employees fault and was very polite, I took the confirmation slip they provided me and left – I still had to take a 1 hour train and 2 hour bus, which I missed thanks to the delay and had to purchase new tickets for.
I called their customer service line for baggage claim the next day Saturday 14th, and they informed me my luggage had arrived on a flight from Madrid and they were working on getting it delivered to me.
The next day I call again and they inform me that my luggage was scheduled to be put on a flight by one of their partner airlines (American Airlines) to transport it to Philadephia, the city where I reside. However the flight was cancelled and they informed me they would program it for the next avalanche flight.
I called again the next day, Monday, and suddenly no one in the company had any information about the whereabouts of my luggage and cannot provide me with any information. They insist that I wait while they get more information. In all of the time I’ve been calling I haven’t received a single email, text or phone call from the airline. I have had to call each time in order to get any information at all.
I kept calling in the next few days and was told by multiple representatives that they had no information about my luggage and that they were attempting to contact the airports where I had been to confirm it location. For four days following that, I was just told that there was nothing the company could do as they hadn’t received a reply from the airports, something I find impossible to believe given that they have employees from their own company at all of those airports.
At this point I was just asking for confirmation of the bags location so that perhaps I could retrieve it myself as they seemed unable to deliver it, yet no one could tell me where my bag was.
It has been over a week now and I have no news of my luggage, of where it is or when I can expect to receive it. The online tracking system shows no information and their customer service lines keep repeating the same thing “we have no information, there’s nothing we can do.”

I need to travel again soon, yet Iberia expects me to wait 21 days before I can even ask to be compensated for my losses.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Forum Moderator
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I don’t know what is going on in Europe this summer but it seems this year is extraordinary for lost luggage. My wife’s friend just returned from Croatia and had their luggage lost going AND coming back. Took 5 days to get her luggage going and she is back since Monday and still doesn’t have it.

We have company contacts for Iberia- try using these to work up to the Executives at the airline.

https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/iberia-airlines/

Read the information on our Company Contacts Page about how to write.

Let us know if it helps.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I have nothing to add but sympathy. You did everything right and are handling all this with a very good attitude. Your bags will no doubt show up "eventually". But if you have a trip upcoming, you should buy a new bag and move forward. Does the credit card you used have any travel insurance by any chance?

Reactions: atvs1
Jul 20, 2018
Thank you for the advice. I have tried the company contacts with no success unfortunately. I did call my credit card company and they do offer an amount of money for delayed and lost luggage.

I keep calling Iberia and all they tell me is that they are trying to contact the airports but haven't received any responses (in the past 10 days?). It worries me that every day that passes the chances that they'll get it back to me decrease significantly. I don't know what else to do at this point, should I keep calling and trying to get more information?