8 months later receive a bill

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Dec 22, 2017
Hello all

I just received a bill for unspecified cleaning damage to a car I rented from Payless in Ft Myers Florida. I returned the car in April 2017 and received a letter in Dec 2017 stating that the car had to be cleaned after my rental.

I do not have any pictures of the interior or exterior of car. They are not saying exactly what "dirt" they had to clean but I only put approx 150 miles on the car in one week and the majority of the time it sat in my parents' driveway.

Any help will be appreciated. They are "only" charging me $75.00 but I returned a clean car!

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
Write to them asking for photographic proof of the excessive dirt; photos that are time stamped with the same date as the return. Be polite and professional but gently say you are disputing the claim without unequivocal evidence the dirt was left by you.

Let us know how they respond and we can guide you from there.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Patina is right, Patrice. This is the new business plan of rental cars ... charge the renter for something bogus months after the rental. Some people just pay, others are smart like you and get advice. A polite denial and request for proof will probably make this go away.

Feb 9, 2016
Why would they charge you for cleaning? Did you go off-roading and the car was caked in 3 inches of mud? You had a party and the car was full of confetti and glitter? How ridiculous. Rental places can't seriously expect folks to have cars detailed before return...can they? o_O
They do, and they try

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Frankly, this scam is so successful for the rental car people that I'm surprised the hotels haven't gotten on the bandwagon. We had a rash of 'smoking penalties' a while ago, but lately the hotels seem to be behaving themselves.

May 17, 2016
Frankly, this scam is so successful for the rental car people that I'm surprised the hotels haven't gotten on the bandwagon. We had a rash of 'smoking penalties' a while ago, but lately the hotels seem to be behaving themselves.
Shush! Let's not give them ideas!