Turkish Airlines - Delayed Baggage Compensation

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
Nov 19, 2017
Last September (i.e., September 2016), I took a business trip on Turkish Airline, from Washington-Dulles to Turin, Italy, via Istanbul. I checked one bag, and there was plenty of time between my arrival and my connecting flight in Istanbul. But somehow, they managed not to get my bag on the flight to Turin. All I had with me, in terms of clothing, were the clothes on my back (jeans, polo shirt, socks, shoes, underwear) and a change of underwear and socks. I had to go to business meetings the day I arrived and the following day, dressed this way, because my bag still had not shown up in Turin. I then traveled to Milan for a conference, keeping Turkish Airlines informed of my movements/hotel in Milan. After three days without my bag, I needed clothes and amenities, so I purchased a suit, three shirts, two ties, socks, underwear, and an electric shaver (my religious beliefs do not allow me to shave with a blade, so the razor they provided me with was useless); I didn’t have time to shop for shoes, so I was still wearing my running shoes with my suit. The total of my purchases was just over 500 Euros (US$590). (I didn’t receive my bag for another two days, by the way.)

In the process of my baggage issues, they managed to mis-type my e-mail address in their records, not contact me via phone or letter, etc. I only now found out that last November, they allegedly sent me an e-mail (which I never received) with a release form, offering me $300 (I now have a copy). $300 is far less than $590!

What do you advise? Should I just take what they are offering me, or should I ask for more. If so, what is the best way to do so?

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
You can certainly go after them for more compensation, Jeff, depending on your available time and patience. Turkish is not easy to get along with, we hear.

If I were you, I'd take the $300, be happy that my new clothes were half-price, and get on with my life. Entirely up to you. If you want to pursue this, we can give you the guidelines.

Reactions: Neil Maley
Nov 19, 2017
Thank you for your advice. While I was quite satisfied with the flights themselves, Turkish Airlines' customer service left much to be desired. Your response make sense, given how hard it was to even get them to communicate with me.

Thanks again!

Reactions: jsn55
Sep 19, 2015
Doctor Jeff some airlines only give 50 percent because the clothes can be reused by the traveler. I think it may be an uphill battle, even though I think you were incredibly reasonable with what you spent for what 5 days without luggage.

Reactions: jsn55