Budget... its been over a year and no refund...

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
Jan 3, 2017
Budget Case: 16012098
Reservation: 19768196US0
Rental Agreement: 656942565

October of 2015 I prepaid for a Budget Rental car in Fort Lauderdale, FL, using my checking account for $237.

On December 11, 2015, I picked up the car in Ft Lauderdale, FL (airport), was offered and declined insurance. I turned in my USAA card for incidentals, and when I received my receipt, there was a charge for $439.49. I immediately asked the representative what that charge was, and he replied " it's nothing, don't worry about it." His exact words.

I thought, if anything, it must be the hold they place on the card for the incidentals. I asked again, "are you sure?" And he again said "no, you don't owe anything." So I thought nothing of it, went on my way, and had a wonderful visit with my parents.

Two weeks later I returned my car, got on a plane, flew back to Chicago and a charge for $439.49 appeared on my card.

Now, this didn't appear in my account when I picked up the car. Had I seen the charge on my statement immediately (or even up to the 10 days later while I was still in the state) after I was told there were no extra fees, I would have gone back to the desk and gotten this taken care of before I left Florida. The rep had simply made an error. An error I had questioned and was told not to worry about. And an error I was now being charged $439.49 for.

So now I was no longer in Florida-I was home in Chicago. I had to try to call and get this fixed asap.

My first call to Budget was the day I saw the charge. The rep was very nice on the phone, understood errors can happen and said "no problem, we will make the adjustment." I thought-great! That was easy. Whew. What a nice company.

Two week later-no adjustment was made, so I called Budget again and was told "too bad, you signed the agreement," and was met with rudeness and disregard.

I then contacted USAA, my credit card company, and filed a dispute in on the charge. Budget agreed to give me $219 of the charge back while my credit card company disputed the rest. Case closed. Right?

No.

3 months later Budget recharged me the 1/2 the gave me back, and told USAA that I paid for services rendered and they doesn't owe me ANY money.

I have USAA car insurance. I did NOT ask for their coverage. I questioned the charge on the spot and was blatantly lied to by Budget's employee.

I am out over $400- and can't seem to get any help. Ive reached out to Budget and been denied twice and spent the last year back and forth with my credit card and they can't help.

HELP!?

R

Realitoes

I then contacted USAA, my credit card company, and filed a dispute in on the charge. Budget agreed to give me $219 of the charge back while my credit card company disputed the rest. Case closed. Right?

No.

3 months later Budget recharged me the 1/2 the gave me back, and told USAA that I paid for services rendered and they doesn't owe me ANY money.

I have USAA car insurance. I did NOT ask for their coverage. I questioned the charge on the spot and was blatantly lied to by Budget's employee.

I am out over $400- and can't seem to get any help. Ive reached out to Budget and been denied twice and spent the last year back and forth with my credit card and they can't help.
HELP!?

Actually your bank gave you the credit while they investigated your dispute. Once Budget was able to prove you authorized the charges (signature on the rental agreement, perhaps), they removed the credit.

You can try writing budget an email explaining what happen and asking for consideration using the contacts provided by this site. Unfortunately, since you have already disputed the charge and lost, they are not very likely to do anything further.

If your signed copy of the rental agreement doesn't show that you authorized the charges, then you may have a case you can take to small claims court.

Otherwise, you may just have to take this as a lesson learn. Examine your rental agreement thoroughly before driving off. Also, try to work out a resolution with the company (in writing) prior to disputing the charge.

Maybe somebody else has an idea.

Jan 3, 2017
As I recall, my credit card DID credit my account for the entire amount- but at the same time Budget gave me 1/2 back, so USAA only needed to adjust my account for the other half.

Then boom. Budget took back the 1/2 they had paid me back 3 months later, and USAA said there was nothing they could do about any of it.

As far as examining my agreement- I absolutely did.

I asked what the $439 was- and was blatantly lied to. The number was in RED AND PARENS- so I couldn't miss it. I asked multiple times what that number was, what charge it could be- and was told "it was nothing. Don't worry about it."

How do i fight when its basically a bait and switch??

Dwayne Coward

Administrator
Staff Member
Forum Director
Apr 13, 2016
St. Louis
As I recall, my credit card DID credit my account for the entire amount- but at the same time Budget gave me 1/2 back, so USAA only needed to adjust my account for the other half.

Then boom. Budget took back the 1/2 they had paid me back 3 months later, and USAA said there was nothing they could do about any of it.

As far as examining my agreement- I absolutely did.

I asked what the $439 was- and was blatantly lied to. The number was in RED AND PARENS- so I couldn't miss it. I asked multiple times what that number was, what charge it could be- and was told "it was nothing. Don't worry about it."

How do i fight when its basically a bait and switch??

The rental agreement should have shown a break down in charges. You should have been able to determine what the extra charges were just by reviewing the agreement.

Yes they should have told you what the charges were really for, but remember anything verbal is only as good as the paper it is written on!

Did they not give you a copy of the rental agreement? That would be the first thing I would ask for. I couldn't imagine driving off with a car without something showing I was legally allowed to possess it.

Unfortunately, unless you can prove you didn't sign for the extra charges, and you have already lost the dispute, your options are extremely limited.

Feb 9, 2016
It does seem quite hopeless, doesn't it?

May I suggest that you use our company contacts and begin writing Budget? Keep the correspondence succinct and polite. Let them know you had excellent customer service from the Budget employees and had no reason to doubt the employee whom told you not to worry about the charge. Explain everything you have explained here. Ask for a refund and/or for a breakdown of the services that Budget feels you recieved and documentation that supports the request for these services. If customer service declines your requests, move to the next executive. Keep going until you reach the top.

Keep checking in and letting us know how it is going.

Reactions: Carrie Livingston