Flight cancelled then reinstated, leaving me off to pay for hotel

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
Aug 2, 2016
American Airlines cancelled my flight due to weather and rebooked me for the next day, indicating that I needed to pay for my own hotel and other expenses. American then reinstated the flight. I only found out about it because my calendar still had the original reservation on it, and started notifying me when the original flight was delayed.

I asked Customer Relations for a $500 travel voucher to cover my time, meals, and my $193.51 hotel bill, but was denied.

Is my request justified?

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
It doesn't hurt to ask but I would probably lower your expectations to $200 in travel vouchers. Since you already contacted customer service then use the Company Contact link at the top of the forum page to email the executives one at a time not all at once. Give them a week to respond, if they do not respond in that time frame or you do not like their response, escalate to the next name on the list. When you write, be brief but polite explaining that you understand their policy that they are not responsible for hotels when a cancellation is weather related but that you are now out $200 because the cancellation was premature. The idea is to get the reader of your email to want to help you. Good luck and please let us know your progress!

Reactions: jsn55
Aug 31, 2015
Don't turn around . . . .
American Airlines cancelled my flight due to weather and rebooked me for the next day, indicating that I needed to pay for my own hotel and other expenses. American then reinstated the flight. I only found out about it because my calendar still had the original reservation on it, and started notifying me when the original flight was delayed.

I asked Customer Relations for a $500 travel voucher to cover my time, meals, and my $193.51 hotel bill, but was denied.

Is my request justified?

i bet they did not reinstate your flight - they used your flight number for an earlier or later flight

But - what you need to do is get proof that they operated the flight - - it'd take a fancy dance for an AA employee to explain why they did not contact you to put you back on it - even though I know the answer - which is "he accepted the cancellation and rebooking."

I'd ask for $350 - break it down into meals, extra parking cost [if incurred] hotel, misc. incidentals of $20 - etc

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2015
American Airlines cancelled my flight due to weather and rebooked me for the next day, indicating that I needed to pay for my own hotel and other expenses.

So originally the cancellation was due to weather therefore AA will not pay for your expenses. right?

Turns out, they re-schedule the same day. In other words its a simple delay.
Well unless you are already en-route and missed a connection and stuck overnight, then AA won't pay for your expenses. The most I got was a meal voucher when AA delayed my flight to Rome. They essentially said I can wait for the flight whenever.

Aug 2, 2016
I was contacted by Elliott advocate Dwayne, who contacted American Airlines on my behalf at the beginning of August. After doing everything in my power and having been turned down by American I had frankly given up, and since then have been flying United instead, voting with my feet. Dwayne then followed up with me 3 days ago. Yesterday lo and behold I get an email from American, with a $200 travel voucher and an offer to reimburse me for the $193.51 extra I had to pay for my hotel. I'll be donating to your site for this service (if I can find the link!). Thank you thank you!