Act of God

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
Your advice please: My wife rented an Enterprise car in AVL. The car was in her possession when a violent storm hit.

This "Act of God" cracked the windshield while the car was parked in a parking lot at Grandfather Mountain, NC.

She is being charged for something she didn't do. Is this correct? Will she have to pay for the windshield damage even though it was an "Act of God." This could have happened in Enterprise's outdoor parking lot at the airport.

Can my wife be held responsible for an "Act of God" damage due to storm damage to the rental car in her possession?

What's the value of your claim (in US $)? 500

Date of transaction/travel date: 29 June-11 July

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
Does the Enterprise contract you have "Exclude" Act of God damages? Normally your own auto insurance would cover most everything except your deductible.
Check over the terms of your contract.

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
Without reading the actual contract you signed for the rental, I am betting that you are responsible for anything that happens to the car while it is in your possession regardless if you were driving it at the time. No different than if the car was stolen or hit by someone else due to their driving mistakes. @JVillegirl541 has given you the best advise for the circumstances.......read the terms of the contract and contact your own auto insurance company to see if they will cover the repair cost.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Without reading the actual contract you signed for the rental, I am betting that you are responsible for anything that happens to the car while it is in your possession regardless if you were driving it at the time. No different than if the car was stolen or hit by someone else due to their driving mistakes. @JVillegirl541 has given you the best advise for the circumstances.......read the terms of the contract and contact your own auto insurance company to see if they will cover the repair cost.
But of course the repair cost is ... amazing ... the amount of your deductible, right? What kind of insurance was in force when the car was damaged? Don't pay unless they produce detailed information on the cost to repair the car.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Forum Moderator
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Did you buy insurance? If not does your own car insurance cover rental cars? You'll need to put in a claim somewhere for this because you most likely are responsible for damage while the car is in your possession.

Feb 9, 2016
My windshield has a crack in it right now. It was an act of god, a rock, and my non-collision insurance deductible is $500 for these types of events. My insurance instructed me to call around and let repair shops know that I was paying CASH in order to get the best possible price. My cost is going to be about
$400 to get it replaced.

All that said, have you telephoned your insurance to find out what your non-collision coverage deductible is?it is typical for them to be $250. the good news is that this is non collision so it will NOT count against you on your insurance.

I would get the VIN from the specific rental car and call around and ask places what the cost would be if you were paying CASH. Get quotes and then argue that price down based on what you get.

Please remember to get a statement from the rental car company and, if any appear, argue away their miscellaneous administrative fees, loss of use, etc. It takes 2 hours to get a windshield replaced. Tell them that you can re rent that car for a day for $80 and have it the windshield replaced before you pay an extra $250-$400 for their BS charges.

If no BS charges appear, then get them to say in writing (an email perhaps) that these will be your final charges. Then refuse to pay additional money if they try to come back and get your for BS charges.

Ugh, I feel for you. I wouldn't want to have to pay this either.

Aug 28, 2015
New York
I imagine the price is set at the maximum out of pocket deductible before insurance kicks in. However, if the repair is $200 then it is certainly predatory to charge more. Request the invoice, perhaps ask around for a couple of estimates and try to negotiate the amount down to something more closely resembling the actual repair cost. You will probably have to pay for something and $500 sure sounds high for a windshield. I have replaced one myself and know it costs less.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2015
Most likely, yes, even acts of god you'll be liable for. As Patina noted, read your contract.

As well as checking with your insurance company, check with the credit card you rented with too, a lot of them offer insurance on rentals.

Too bad you weren't in South Carolina - the state offers free windshield replacement here.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
My windshield has a crack in it right now. It was an act of god, a rock, and my non-collision insurance deductible is $500 for these types of events. My insurance instructed me to call around and let repair shops know that I was paying CASH in order to get the best possible price. My cost is going to be about
$400 to get it replaced.

All that said, have you telephoned your insurance to find out what your non-collision coverage deductible is?it is typical for them to be $250. the good news is that this is non collision so it will NOT count against you on your insurance.

I would get the VIN from the specific rental car and call around and ask places what the cost would be if you were paying CASH. Get quotes and then argue that price down based on what you get.

Please remember to get a statement from the rental car company and, if any appear, argue away their miscellaneous administrative fees, loss of use, etc. It takes 2 hours to get a windshield replaced. Tell them that you can re rent that car for a day for $80 and have it the windshield replaced before you pay an extra $250-$400 for their BS charges.

If no BS charges appear, then get them to say in writing (an email perhaps) that these will be your final charges. Then refuse to pay additional money if they try to come back and get your for BS charges.

Ugh, I feel for you. I wouldn't want to have to pay this either.
SAS, your advice is about the best example of real help I think I've ever read. Succinct, complete and very clever. LOVE the part about renting the car to go get the windshield replaced!

Reactions: sas80
Dec 8, 2015
If your own insurance is covering, it would be covered by comprehensive (not collision) coverage. Typically there is a lower deductible for comprehensive than for collision.

Reactions: Patina
Feb 9, 2016
If your own insurance is covering, it would be covered by comprehensive (not collision) coverage. Typically there is a lower deductible for comprehensive than for collision.
And, from what I understand, comprehensive doesn't count against you/your record.

May 17, 2016
Most likely, yes, even acts of god you'll be liable for. As Patina noted, read your contract.

As well as checking with your insurance company, check with the credit card you rented with too, a lot of them offer insurance on rentals.

Too bad you weren't in South Carolina - the state offers free windshield replacement here.
Free windshield replacement? How does that work?

Sep 22, 2015
Your advice please: My wife rented an Enterprise car in AVL. The car was in her possession when a violent storm hit.

This "Act of God" cracked the windshield while the car was parked in a parking lot at Grandfather Mountain, NC.

She is being charged for something she didn't do. Is this correct? Will she have to pay for the windshield damage even though it was an "Act of God." This could have happened in Enterprise's outdoor parking lot at the airport.

Can my wife be held responsible for an "Act of God" damage due to storm damage to the rental car in her possession?

What's the value of your claim (in US $)? 500

Date of transaction/travel date: 29 June-11 July
In Minnesota, zero deductible glass coverage is mandatory. Check to see if your state is the same.

Aug 31, 2015
Don't turn around . . . .
typically your deductible is what you specified when you bought the insurance.

I don't really care about the car up to about $2000 - which is my deductible. I care about liability and defense. I save about $1000 a year with a $2000 deductible for 4 vehicles. Since I have had no claims since 1996 - I've saved $21,000 in premiums over the last 20 years. I think I'm ahead.

Many insurers give you the option to pay about $34 every 6 months or so for no-deductible glass coverage. Again - I've cracked 3 windshields in 40 years of driving. I think I'm ahead - since I traded one of them in and got full value and did not have to even fix it-

Jan 5, 2015
Free windshield replacement? How does that work?

From the state's insurance website:

"Comprehensive coverage pays for damage to your auto from almost all other causes, including fire, vandalism, flooding, theft, falling objects, and collision with animals. Comprehensive coverage also will cover broken glass, such as damage to a windshield, and in South Carolina the deductible for safety glass does not apply."

I've not had it done personally, but I know people who have and they say it's a snap. I'm not sure the logic behind the law, except maybe it's cheaper to do this vs. repair the roads.

Reactions: jsn55

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
typically your deductible is what you specified when you bought the insurance.

I don't really care about the car up to about $2000 - which is my deductible. I care about liability and defense. I save about $1000 a year with a $2000 deductible for 4 vehicles. Since I have had no claims since 1996 - I've saved $21,000 in premiums over the last 20 years. I think I'm ahead.

Many insurers give you the option to pay about $34 every 6 months or so for no-deductible glass coverage. Again - I've cracked 3 windshields in 40 years of driving. I think I'm ahead - since I traded one of them in and got full value and did not have to even fix it-
Good point on saving big bucks with the size of your deductible, Joe. My AAA guy told me about this 30 years ago ... but I'm not sure that other agents tell the clients that they even have a choice in the amount of the deductible, never mind that they'd save lots of money.

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
NAPLES FL or Denver CO
FL law requires Insurance replace cracked/chipped windshield at no cost to insured. This is a safety issue. They don't want people driving around with cracks/chips.
To say this is free would not be correct. You can bet we all pay for this coverage.

Reactions: joycexyz

Barry Graham

Administrator
Staff Member
Forum Director
Jan 7, 2015
My rental car developed a crack in the windshield when I was in the UK and a small stone hit it. Luckily it was small enough to be a minor repair (which the rental company accepted) but they told me they expected me to take care of the repair (or pay for the damage that they would bill me) and I took the first option which was much cheaper!

Reactions: jsn55