$350 Target GC balance stolen

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Oct 17, 2016
I've used credit cards to purchase online gifts for people a million times and I would never use their account for the purchase. I use my own, assuming it's a store I shop in, or create one to check out. You added your card to someone else's account. I can't think of a reason to do that if you didn't intend for them to spend it.
Well, I never added it to their account. I just typed in the numbers during check out to pay for that order. You're not being very helpful by accusing my friend. Are you sure you're not "Travis"?

Feb 9, 2016
Target thinks the friend or this guy used it in Boise or someone associated with them.
I understand that is what Target thinks. I also know that Target gift cards are notorious for getting stolen AND I dont feel I have enough information to jump to a judgement or conclusion.

Feb 9, 2016
@blkwidowceli

Have you looked online to see what the physical card cloning process is? Take a look.

Yorr friend could have malware on his comuter that enabled the card info to get stolen. Target.com could have had malware. google for the different ways target giftcards have gotten lifted and you may find something so recent you can corner "Travis" into paying
Answer my questions please. I'm in between feeding ankle biters, making lunches for tomorrow and dishes, but ill check back to see what I can think of.

Oct 17, 2016
@blkwidowceli

Have you looked online to see what the physical card cloning process is? Take a look.

Yorr friend could have malware on his comuter that enabled the card info to get stolen. Target.com could have had malware. google for the different ways target giftcards have gotten lifted and you may find something so recent you can corner "Travis" into paying
Answer my questions please. I'm in between feeding ankle biters, making lunches for tomorrow and dishes, but ill check back to see what I can think of.
Thank you for your ideas. I'll definitely look into that. Also can't Target just pull up the store's video footage to see who made the in-store transaction?

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2016
im still dealing with ankle biters but tell Travis to back that cash register tape up from the Boise store and send you the pictures so you can file a police report in Boise

Feb 9, 2016
Thank you for your ideas. I'll definitely look into that. Also can't Target just pull up the store video footage to see who made the in-store transaction?
great minds, great minds!

They're contending you put the card in a position to be compromised.

Target should have a record if the pin number was changed. was there a pin or cvv on the card?

Oct 17, 2016
great minds, great minds!

They're contending you put the card in a position to be compromised.

Target should have a record if the pin number was changed. was there a pin or cvv on the card?
There is no pin with their gift cards. It has something similar to cvv which they call "access number".

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
There is no pin with their gift cards. It has something similar to cvv which they call "access number".
To accuse you of messing this GC up by using it for a friend online when the two uses in Boise were in person is ridiculous. This will be a long, annoying campaign, but if you just start with a clear, concise letter to customer service, waiting a week, then sending to each executive at Target, waiting a week between each, eventually they'll take you seriously and investigate and you'll get your money back. You need to be polite, persistent and patient. This kind of fraud is rampant and nobody knows what to do about it, so they put the blame the customer or anyone else they can think of.

Feb 9, 2016
Items to detail in your next letter

Run a malware scan on the computer you used the gift card on to eliminate the possibility that there was malware that stole the info. If it's not your computer, the breach is on their end.

Ask for the details of the purchase in Boise, date, time, items, and pictures of the people who bought the items. Tell target you are going to open a police report in Bise.

Add your friend to the list of suspects in the police report you already filed. Let the police interview them. This way you can tell target you did that.

Ask target what the customer entered for the access number of the card and what their databases show was the time and date that this access code was committed to this card.

Aug 28, 2015
New York
Well, I never added it to their account. I just typed in the numbers during check out to pay for that order. You're not being very helpful by accusing my friend. Are you sure you're not "Travis"?
I don't need to be Travis, just an objective person, and see his point. You added your card to someone else's account. It was used. You can no longer claim that you had exclusive use of the card since you have no way to know firsthand what your friend did with the credit.

Feb 9, 2016
I don't need to be Travis, just an objective person, and see his point. You added your card to someone else's account. It was used. You can no longer claim that you had exclusive use of the card since you have no way to know firsthand what your friend did with the credit.
You need to go back and re read what LW posted. they clearly stated they did not add any number to any account, they just used the card at checkout to pay for items.

It's akin to me typing in my credit card on Amazon to purchase an item, while logged on under my friends account. The card doesn't get added unless the person deliberately clicks yes to add it.

Aug 28, 2015
New York
You need to go back and re read what LW posted. they clearly stated they did not add any number to any account, they just used the card at checkout to pay for items.

It's akin to me typing in my credit card on Amazon to purchase an item, while logged on under my friends account. The card doesn't get added unless the person deliberately clicks yes to add it.
We have no way of knowing if the friend saved the payment info, nor does the LW. The LW can only attest to what he did but not someone else. That complicates his chance of refund. I believe what he is saying regarding his own actions but there's no way to know what the friend did so it makes his situation more difficult. If you authorize someone else to use a credit card something and they also do something else, a card issuer will assume the entire use was authorized unless you file a police report against that person. The LW doesn't want to do that.

Feb 9, 2016
We have no way of knowing if the friend saved the payment info, nor does the LW. The LW can only attest to what he did but not someone else. That complicates his chance of refund. I believe what he is saying regarding his own actions but there's no way to know what the friend did so it makes his situation more difficult. If you authorize someone else to use a credit card something and they also do something else, a card issuer will assume the entire use was authorized unless you file a police report against that person. The LW doesn't want to do that.
we have no way of knowing if car-rental people really did the damages or not. We have no way of knowing if the people who just posted that they tried to reserve a hotel on Santorini but got one on the mainland are telling the truth. We have no way of knowing that anyone who posts to this site is telling the truth.
what we are supposed to be doing is asking questions, finding out facts, and trying to troubleshoot and help them deal with their consumer issues.
What we are not supposed to do is rush to judgment.

Carrie Livingston

Staff Member
Advocate
Jan 6, 2015
St Louis
we have no way of knowing if car-rental people really did the damages or not. We have no way of knowing if the people who just posted that they tried to reserve a hotel on Santorini but got one on the mainland are telling the truth. We have no way of knowing that anyone who posts to this site is telling the truth.
what we are supposed to be doing is asking questions, finding out facts, and trying to troubleshoot and help them deal with their consumer issues.
What we are not supposed to do is rush to judgment.
I think the ankle biters are getting to you! This got posted on the wrong thread! ;)

Feb 9, 2016
No, I posted it in direct reply to @AAGK

Were supposed to be finding ways to assist in consumer issues. Not deciding that the poster is in the wrong put of the gate.

No where in targets terms and conditions for the use of gift cards does it say that you are prohibited from using your gift card under someone else's account. Letter writer did nothing wrong and deserves assistance.

Oct 17, 2016
Items to detail in your next letter

Run a malware scan on the computer you used the gift card on to eliminate the possibility that there was malware that stole the info. If it's not your computer, the breach is on their end.

Ask for the details of the purchase in Boise, date, time, items, and pictures of the people who bought the items. Tell target you are going to open a police report in Bise.

Add your friend to the list of suspects in the police report you already filed. Let the police interview them. This way you can tell target you did that.

Ask target what the customer entered for the access number of the card and what their databases show was the time and date that this access code was committed to this card.
Thank you for your help sas80. I've never filed a police report before, and I stupidly filed one in my city (Las Vegas, NV) instead of Boise. This post made me realize that I need to obviously file it in the city where the crime was committed. Duh. Just finished submitting an online police report for Boise. Thanks again.

Feb 9, 2016
Thank you for your help sas80. I've never filed a police report before, and I stupidly filed one in my city (Las Vegas, NV) instead of Boise. This post made me realize that I need to obviously file it in the city where the crime was committed. Duh. Just finished submitting an online police report for Boise. Thanks again.
I think you should file one in both cities. The crime was committed first in Las Vegas and then in Boise.

In your written reply to Target, it's going to look better if you have filed in both places. You need to alert the local authorities about the friend you logged on under his account and paid using the card. The police need to question this person. your friend should understand that this is part of the normal process. if they have nothing to hide then it shouldn't be a problem. that said, google the clean hands doctrine, to ensure you are within it. Then, in your letter, you can let Target know you did this - it give you more credibility.

Also, don't hesitate to let the reader know that, while $350 might be a small amount to the reader or the chain, it is a large amount to lose for you. Insist that you did everything you could within your power to protect that card, including deliberately telling the target system NOT to save the card info under your friends account, and you feel that the issue was on their end, not yours.