$30,000 for cruise we couldn’t take and we are not allowed to speak to executives.

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
Great suggestion @jsn55 !

One question to those with lots of experience with trip insurance, if everyone was on one policy, wouldn't they all have the benefits of the policy? In other words, the price of the cruise would be refunded for all named on the policy if they all cancelled?

Carrie Livingston

Staff Member
Advocate
Jan 6, 2015
St Louis
Great suggestion @jsn55 !

One question to those with lots of experience with trip insurance, if everyone was on one policy, wouldn't they all have the benefits of the policy? In other words, the price of the cruise would be refunded for all named on the policy if they all cancelled?
If they all cancelled for a covered reason then they would be covered. I'm not sure the injury would qualify for them all to cancel.

Oct 25, 2017
I appreciate everything you folks are saying. Yes my brother and his wife and my sister and her should’ve gone on that cruise without me. Unfortunately that was not what they decided and because they decided this while I was having surgery I didn’t get to put in my 2 cents.
First of all, I am speaking for my sister because she is a wreck right now. Not sure you would want to be speaking to her. Hehe

My sisters name is Barb. Easier to use that than “my sister” all the time. Being twins we each have different qualities. Mine is the art of reasoning and speaking to people to come to a mutual understanding, unfortunately hers is not.

I wish I had been there when they cancelled. I may have been able to at least get her something.

Now, I will try to answer questions. Barb went through a travel agent that actually apologized to me when I spoke to her for not talking more about the travel insurance with my sister. To me that speaks guilt. I have suggested that Barb went to them to talk about that. She says no.

We each bought our own health insurance. Trust me, I have read and reread that policy but it would’ve started on Sept. 23, 2017 the day we were suppose to leave.

I will try writing to the list of people you have suggested, starting at the bottom and working up. I will explain everything and agree with them that my brother and sister SHOULD’VE gone on that cruise. Hopefully I could get even a small voucher for the next cruise. Even if they only pay for my room. Barb could then at least get that back.

I liked the idea of saying diminished compacity do to a drugged haze. Really appreciated that idea. Hehe

Anyway, I hope you keep them coming. I do appreciate all the input I have been getting and agree with all. Thank you.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Bev, as a travel agent, your sister needs to go through this agent to get help. If the agent admitted he or she did not speak up enough about insurance - your sister may be able to sue her. Does she have anything in writing from the travel agent talking recommending insurance or asking Barb to sign declining insurance?

If not, Barb's first steps should be to get the agent involved in calling Princess and trying to get a future cruise credit for you. She should tell the agent that because she did not explain travel insurance properly, she will consider suing her for negligence.

Don't give up on this yet - that travel agent is an idiot for not explaining the insurance and please document your conversation with her - the date and time you called and she told you she should have explained it more.

Feb 9, 2016
Bev, there's lots going on here. None of us mean to berate you about the entire party cancelling because you were so injured. That's the decision that y'all made and that's what we have to work with. As far as travel insurance, she didn't buy it and that's that. If she had, only you and your spouse would have been covered after you were injured, so we can just move on from the topic of travel insurance.

We really do want to come up with SOMETHING that will help. I do understand that the two of you have a special bond, being twins, so I can see that she preferred to stay with you, knowing that she wouldn't enjoy the cruise much without you anyway. But we need to turn this whole story into a 'businesslike' situation and try to come up with concepts that might make Princess amendable to helping your family. I love the idea of being so distraught and medicated that you didn't make a great decision ... those are the kinds of concepts that we need to use.

What needs to happen now, I think, is that your sister makes a list of all the facts, in chronological order. We are fumbling a bit in the dark about some of the details ... and travel advocacy is all about the details. Once we know exactly what happened, we might be able to be more helpful. This is a very tough case, but we don't give up until every avenue has been explored.
Okay, so the issue occurred four days before the cruise. How long were you in the hospital for? We're you stable that whole time?

What I am getting at is, was there any reason that your family had to believe that your health might have taken a turn for the worse, and that is why they declined to go on that cruise?

Did you develop high blood pressure? Did you have any heart issues because of the stress? Were you not responding to medication well?

Was there any reason for them to be worried that you might not come through surgery fully? Do you have any prior medical conditions that might complicate going under anesthesia having surgery etcetera?

I don't need the answer to these questions, I'm just trying to brainstorm for relevant information that you can include in the letter that might help the cruise-line understand why the family chose to stay by your side.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Bev, as a travel agent, your sister needs to go through this agent to get help. If the agent admitted he or she did not speak up enough about insurance - your sister may be able to sue her. Does she have anything in writing from the travel agent talking recommending insurance or asking Barb to sign declining insurance?

If not, Barb's first steps should be to get the agent involved in calling Princess and trying to get a future cruise credit for you. She should tell the agent that because she did not explain travel insurance properly, she will consider suing her for negligence.

Don't give up on this yet - that travel agent is an idiot for not explaining the insurance and please document your conversation with her - the date and time you called and she told you she should have explained it more.
Neil, Bev is telling us that her sister Barb is not going to follow up on this; Bev needs to do what she can.

SAS, I think you are definitely on the right track here ... there is a reason that Barb decided to stay with her sister ... it might just as well be a medical reason. Very creative thinking!

I am having trouble figuring out how travel insurance would have saved Barb all that money. The TI would have paid Bev's cancellation fees and/or related losses, plus her husband of course, but not the expenses of everyone who decided to stay home.

Bev, I don't understand your reference to health insurance that you purchased. We have been discussing travel insurance, which is usually fairly complex, covering interruption, cancellation, baggage loss, etc, but not your medical bills. What exactly did you buy?

I do believe, Miss Beverly, that you have given us one of the most interesting scenarios I've ever experienced here at Elliott. How I would LOVE to get some compensation for y'all.

Last edited:

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I am afraid that unless Barb wants to do something, there is little we can do. The cruise line rules are the rules. The travel agent needs to be contacted to work in behalf of these clients.

Bev you can try to contact the travel agent on your sisters behalf if you want and see what happens. They erred in the insurance- they admitted they should have given you more info. Did your sister sign any forms declining the insurance? If she did not- the agent can possibly be sued. But Barb paid and I am hoping with our encouragement she tries to get the agent to negotiate with Princess for a future credit or contact an attorney about suing the agent. If it happened exactly as Bev is saying and Barb was not given a form to signed lining to purchase insurance- she has a good chance of having a case against that agent.

But only Barb can answer our questions on what happened.

Dec 18, 2016
I am afraid that unless Barb wants to do something, there is little we can do. The cruise line rules are the rules. The travel agent needs to be contacted to work in behalf of these clients.

Bev you can try to contact the travel agent on your sisters behalf if you want and see what happens. They erred in the insurance- they admitted they should have given you more info. Did your sister sign any forms declining the insurance? If she did not- the agent can possibly be sued. But Barb paid and I am hoping with our encouragement she tries to get the agent to negotiate with Princess for a future credit or contact an attorney about suing the agent. If it happened exactly as Bev is saying and Barb was not given a form to signed lining to purchase insurance- she has a good chance of having a case against that agent.

But only Barb can answer our questions on what happened.
What complicated mess! Sorry Bev.

But this brings up a couple questions not exactly helpful to Bev.
I’ve read this a couple times and am confused about whether or not cancellation within 7 days is refundable ot not.it seems as those some say yes, some say no.

The other question is about travel insurance for cruise.when do you buy it? The consensus seems to be don’t buy it from the cruise line. I’ve purchased TI from Holland America, their premium plan. It says “for any reason or none, including pre-existing conditions.” and it provides for 100% refund.
Am I missing something?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
No. Cancellation on any cruise begins 60-90 days before you leave and gradually gets higher and higher as the cruise date gets closer. It is 100% full penalty 7 days before. This is Carnivals

Days Prior to Departure Date Cancellation Charge (Per Guest)
45 to 30 days Deposit or 50% of Total Fare, whichever is greater
29 to 15 days Deposit or 75% of Total Fare, whichever is greater
14 days or less 100% of Total Fare
Up to 76 days None (except Pack & Go, Early Saver* and Super Saver fares**)
17 more rows

From what she said they didn't but travel insurance but had some type of medical, which we don't understand

Oct 25, 2017
The medical insurance I had was to cover me from any injuries that occurred while I was on the cruise. It starts covering you from the day you leave to the day you come back.

I already checked out my policy but it states on it that it is valid from September 23(the day the cruise left to October 15(the day cruise returned) so because I had the accident September 19 I was not covered under the health insurance. If I had boarded the cruise ship Sept 23 and then broke my leg I would’ve been covered.
I hope that helps.

Dec 18, 2016
Bev
It does some what. Here’s the thing though. It would have covered your care from the ship’s medical crew/office, but that’s it. It’s not likely it would have covered you and your group canceling the cruise. Hard to say w/o reading the policy,and I don’t want to do that—haha, but even if it did, it wouldn’t cover the others.

R

Realitoes

The medical insurance I had was to cover me from any injuries that occurred while I was on the cruise. It starts covering you from the day you leave to the day you come back.

I already checked out my policy but it states on it that it is valid from September 23(the day the cruise left to October 15(the day cruise returned) so because I had the accident September 19 I was not covered under the health insurance. If I had boarded the cruise ship Sept 23 and then broke my leg I would’ve been covered.
I hope that helps.
This is true of most medical coverage provided by travel insurance. Coverage normally only starts on the day you begin travel. What would have helped you would be the "Trip Cancellation" portion of the travel insurance, which (assuming for a covered reason) would reimbursed you your non-refundable cost and more than likely that of your immediate family that could not go either.

I think what has everyone baffled is you have a medical policy that covers you while traveling that doesn't have any other coverage such as trip cancellation or interruption. These type of plans are out there though! Here is an example of one (this one does have a $500 trip interruption benefit):

https://www.geobluetravelinsurance.com/products/single-trip/voyager-5-overview.cfm

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Bev, would Barb be OK with a meeting with you and the TA? Just a low-key fact-finding little get-together. I believe that this situation really needs input from the TA that Barb used. There is no reason that she should take such a horrendous financial hit without doing everything in her power to mitigate it. Major issue here is the TA doing her job ... putting together the best cruise package and protecting her clients.

If the TA offered insurance and Barb turned it down, that's one thing. But if Barb was told that the insurance was null 7 days before the cruise departed, that's just plain incorrect.

Oct 25, 2017
I think what I need to do is to see if I can at least get my money back on my room That way I could at least help my sister by giving her that money back. A little is better than nothing.

Oct 25, 2017
Ok. I have decided to try to get a voucher for another cruise in hopes I can get my brother to take it. That way at least he would have his first cruise.
Any ideas where I should start my efforts?

Feb 9, 2016
With the travel agent that booked!
I believe what @Neil is referring o is, the travel agent has (apparently) already apologized for mis leading you about travel insurance, correct? Therefore he or she should be your first email stop. Compose a letter acknowledging the unfortunate situation, acknowledging the misguided information regarding travel insurance that was given, and then formally ask the travel agent to 'advocate' on your behalf with the cruise line to get cruise vouchers. It's always better if you had the cruise picked out, including sail date. The cruise line is more likely to just go ahead and rebook you.