2015 Subaru Crosstrec just cuts out on the highway.

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jan 16, 2019
Does Zubenal "want" another Subaru? A problem with one Subaru should not negate the purchase of a second or even third. Of greater concern to me would be a subsequent purchase from this dealer.
R, we bought the car at a dealership out of state. Gretchen has some very specific specs that she was looking for. I found the perfect one in New Hampshire. We are in Central New York. We took a trip to get it.
I have no qualms with the local dealer. In fact, over the years (Its not my first Subaru), they have been great.
If we end up keeping it I will insist on Subaru continuing to cover it. I think I have a strong case for this as I first brought it to thier attention when it was still fully covered. I hadn't considered getting my own code reader. That's a great idea. The Subaru service manager toyed with the idea of getting Subaru Corporate to put a computer in it to catch the codes. It turns out that Corporate has equipment that is more aggressive than what the dealership has. Go figure.

Mar 14, 2018
Will the dealership take it? If they resell it they are just be "kicking the can down the road". It contradicts their web site promise, the "Love Promise".
It's honorable that you are worrying about the next buyer. But that's Subaru's responsibility. You've fully disclosed the issue to them and they have the full service records. If they really "extensively evaluated and test driven the vehicle and are not recommending any repairs ", they should have no concerns about taking it as a trade in.

Mar 17, 2015
I do not find it odd that Subaru wants you to sign a release if you want the cash. This will prevent you from going back to them in 2 years for more money for the same issue. I would not find it odd, rather find it routine and most likely policy. I am doubtful that they will continue to cover the issue if you accept the $2,500 from them. This is their settlement offer. You can certainly counter, but please don't think it odd that Subaru would want a release signed.

Mar 9, 2019
Have they drained the gas tank? My mother’s VW bug did the exact same thing you are describing about 40 years ago. We’d be driving along and the engine would just die, forcing us to pull over to the side of the road. Sometimes it could be started again and sometimes not. It turned out that the little cardboard circle from the inside of a plastic lid of fuel additive had fallen in the tank and would occasionally settle in the spot where the tank connected to the fuel line, blocking the fuel from entering. Once the little piece of cardboard was removed, the car worked just fine. There never was anything mechanically wrong with the car.