2015 Subaru Crosstrec just cuts out on the highway.

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Sep 26, 2017
One correction: My family could be standing in very (something) traffic. Bad, dangerous, plug in your desired adjective here, but there's a word missing. :)

Feb 17, 2019
We had a 1999 Subaru that did the same thing. It stalled on the interstate, once while changing lanes just after passing a semi. Restarted again after about 3 minutes on the side of the highway. Turned out to be a bad fuel pump. The issue was intermittent. It took replacing the 2 in tank pumps to take care of the issue. We were able to locate and spoke with the original owner who traded it in because it stalled out once. Have the tech work check out the fuel pump(s). According to the tech who did the repair, this was an issue that was a known issue, though rare. He had been to a class where they spoke about the issue a week before we brought them the car. After the replacement, never had another issue with stalling.

Jan 16, 2019
So, Subaru has offered $2500.00

I have not responded.
Following is their response:

Dear Gretchen & Michael:

We appreciate you taking the time to contact us and we value your feedback. Subaru of America values your business, and your satisfaction with your vehicle remains our top priority.

My name is Michael Guerriero. I am a Senior Representative at Subaru of America, and your contact has been escalated to me. I'm sorry to hear of the on-going concerns you reported with your 2015 Subaru Crosstrek.

Based on the reported concerns technical resources from our Subaru retailers and Subaru of America have extensively evaluated and test driven the vehicle and are not recommending any repairs. I'm sorry that this was not the outcome that you were expecting.

My review of your contact history with Subaru of America indicates a prior offer of a $2,500 Owner Loyalty Incentive coupon good towards a new, previously untitled Subaru, purchased at an authorized Subaru retailer. At that time you mentioned that the option of a new vehicle may not have been feasible. I certainly understand that feedback.

Presently,I can renew that offer. Alternatively I can offer that amount ($2,500) as a Cash Settlement requiring a signed release. This would provide you with a reimbursement check in that amount and may provide you with the other options you mentioned in earlier contacts such as considering the purchase of a CPO or used Subaru as a replacement vehicle.

I hope these goodwill offers assure you of our concern for you as a Subaru customer. If you would like to proceed with either of these options I am happy to complete that for you.

Please let me know via a reply to this email. I look forward to your reply.

Sincerely,

Michael G
Senior Representative
Customer/Retailer Services
Subaru of America, Inc

Jan 6, 2015
You originally stated that they gave you a great deal on a trade. With the additional $2,500 will that work?

Jan 6, 2015
You now face a difficult decision. Options are plentiful but time-consuming:
  • Do nothing and "live with it"
  • Accept the offer and sign the release (a concern for me)
  • Challenge the offer (e.g., ask for $5,000 which is likely the small claims court limit). Then take it to a reputable mechanic.
  • Report this to the FTC, and your state's AG
  • Take them to court, or contact an attorney and let him/her challenge them
  • Accept "an offer" ($2,500 or more) and negotiate for a trade with them. Since you don't want to "pass it off" on someone else, this leaves the problem with the ones who can't /won't fix it)
I have no recommendation for you . . .

Jan 16, 2019
I have spoken to two local mechanics. Neither wants to touch it. They dont have the resources to troubleshoot it.
If I read the response right (and I will review this with Subaru) the cash offer is for a Subaru and they will give it to us when we buy a new used one.
I will challenge the offer, see if I can get more, and shop for a replacement.
I will also ask that they Subaru continues to support us with warranty on this issue as long as we own it. The tech suggested the next time it happens, if it starts up again, dont turn it off and drive it straight to a dealership. There are some obvious problems with that, what if it is in the middle of the night....

These are all time consuming ... but it is what I am stuck with.

Jan 6, 2015
As I read their last offer, it's for cash ("Alternatively I can offer that amount ($2,500) as a Cash Settlement requiring a signed release"). Keep us posted . . .

Jan 16, 2019
As I read their last offer, it's for cash ("Alternatively I can offer that amount ($2,500) as a Cash Settlement requiring a signed release"). Keep us posted . . .
“Alternatively I can offer that amount ($2,500) as a Cash Settlement requiring a signed release. This would provide you with a reimbursement check in that amount and may provide you with the other options you mentioned in earlier contacts such as considering the purchase of a CPO or used Subaru as a replacement vehicle. “

Jan 6, 2015
Ask them to clarify. My read is that they "want" you to buy another Subaru, but since it's cash, they can't force you to . . .

Jan 16, 2019
I will get clarification. My take is that the original offer was for a voucher for a new Subaru. This would allow us to get a used one. But I will ask for clarification.

Mar 14, 2018
I think Subaru's offer of a $2500 cash settlement if you sign a release is very suspicious. It's not easy to make that kind of offer for a company of Subaru's size. My guess is it needed to be approved by mid-level management and legal. I doubt the offer is purely for customer satisfaction--They think they have some sort of liability.

And it seems reasonable to believe they do have a liability:
1. You purchased the car from Subaru covered by a warranty. (Is this true?)​
2. On 4 occasions, you have reported a potentially hazardous issue with the car​
3. Subaru has duplicated the problem but has been unable to fix it.​
My suggestion: go to the Subaru dealer and see if you can trade-in your current car plus $2500 (or less) and get an equivalent 2015 Crosstek. If Subaru really believes your existing car is OK, $2500 is a decent margin to get on a used car and there's a deal to be made. OTOH, if they're concerned about the car, they may refuse to take it as a trade-in (because of the liability they would face knowingly reselling a dangerous vehicle). In that case, Subaru owes you much more than $2500 for breaching their warranty. At that point, it's probably worth consulting an attorney.

Jan 6, 2015
Does Zubenal "want" another Subaru? A problem with one Subaru should not negate the purchase of a second or even third. Of greater concern to me would be a subsequent purchase from this dealer.

Jan 16, 2019
I think Subaru's offer of a $2500 cash settlement if you sign a release is very suspicious. It's not easy to make that kind of offer for a company of Subaru's size. My guess is it needed to be approved by mid-level management and legal. I doubt the offer is purely for customer satisfaction--They think they have some sort of liability.

And it seems reasonable to believe they do have a liability:
1. You purchased the car from Subaru covered by a warranty. (Is this true?)​
2. On 4 occasions, you have reported a potentially hazardous issue with the car​
3. Subaru has duplicated the problem but has been unable to fix it.​
My suggestion: go to the Subaru dealer and see if you can trade-in your current car plus $2500 (or less) and get an equivalent 2015 Crosstek. If Subaru really believes your existing car is OK, $2500 is a decent margin to get on a used car and there's a deal to be made. OTOH, if they're concerned about the car, they may refuse to take it as a trade-in (because of the liability they would face knowingly reselling a dangerous vehicle). In that case, Subaru owes you much more than $2500 for breaching their warranty. At that point, it's probably worth consulting an attorney.
You have succinctly written what I has been floating around in my head. First, your point 1 is correct.
Yes, I agree that the margin offered by the 2500 is decent. Will the dealership take it? If they resell it they are just be "kicking the can down the road". It contradicts their web site promise, the "Love Promise".
I think I will make a quick response to the email I got today, simply thanking them and letting telling them that I will review the situation and get back to them.
In the mean time, I will talk to the used cars manager at the dealership.
Thank you.

Jan 6, 2015
The critical factor here, at least for me, is the nature of the failure. Stalling while driving is far more concerning than other issues . . .

Jan 16, 2019
My quick response:
Mr. Guerriero,
Thank you for your response and I appreciate that you are working with me on this. Please allow me some time to review the situation before we decide what we are going to do.
Am I correct in thinking that the issue we are dealing with remains under the original warranty since it has not been resolved and was first addressed while the vehicle had the full warranty? I mean, I hold out hope that we will get a diagnosis and get our sweet little CrossTrek finally fixed. The shop manager suggested that the next time it happens and if it turns back on, to drive it straight to a dealership to get a computer on it before loosing codes. We hope to regain our Confidence in Motion!
I look forward to your response.
Thank you,
Michael & Gretchen

Jan 6, 2015
It should be covered yes. But they have already invested a lot in parts and labor and may be resistant to further coverage.

One thing you can do is purchase a code reader of your own. We bought one on Amazon for under $25, and have used it a number of times.