2015 Subaru Crosstrec just cuts out on the highway.

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.

AMA

Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
If they can't identify the problem, I would say "I want Subaru to buy this car back at full book value, and sell us a Forester or Outback at cost."

Jan 16, 2019
We advised you to get the car back and take it to an independent mechanic. Have you done this?
I had been advised to get the car back from Subaru and not allow them to complete their assessment? I dont recall that being suggested. I think I have to give Subaru all the time they feel they need with it. After all, they have not yet told me what their final position is on this. So, wouldn't you agree that that direction would be jumping the gun?
If Subaru attempts to return the vehicle without having resolved the problem then I could see getting it to an independent mechanic.
Subaru still has a week.
I get that this process is frustrating, believe me.

Jan 6, 2015
Having read through the entire thread, only one option seems plausible: ask them for a similar replacement model (one with your mileage). I say that because you have stated that:
  • The problem is random over the 3 years you have owned the car (4 times total)
  • They have only duplicated the issue once
  • They have already replaced some very expensive parts
  • You cannot afford the trade-in option
Assuming Subaru meant what they said about "making it right", this should be amenable to them . . .

Jan 16, 2019
Having read through the entire thread, only one option seems plausible: ask them for a similar replacement model (one with your mileage). I say that because you have stated that:
Assuming Subaru meant what they said about "making it right", this should be amenable to them . . .
I see your point and tend to agree with you. What do you think are the chances that they will do that? We will see.
My wife has made a reasonable suggestion. She has suggested we offer to keep the car if Subaru pays it off and they continue to support the warranty particularly on this issue. I made the point to them that nobody wants this car. The dealer is not willing to offer much on a trade, given its history. The service department will only keep it to work on it for a month. They dont want it. And, we dont want it, as things stand. As my wife observed, if the car is paid off then ... its a paid for car with this obnoxious problem that happens randomly about once a year. Under these conditions, we would be willing to keep it.
I am trying to come up with an request that stands a chance of being accepted by them.
I put this option out to them, pointing out that they told us that they were going to "make it right".
Stay tuned. I expect an answer this week. Though, they may wait until next Wednesday when the time is up for them to diagnose the car.

Jan 6, 2015
I think they should be willing to do so. They won't want to continue incurring the diagnostic cost and their reputation is also in play . . .

Jan 16, 2019
I think they should be willing to do so. They won't want to continue incurring the diagnostic cost and their reputation is also in play . . .
I just saw a response from them. Yes, they want to wait until the diagnostic period is done.
I like your point about the diagnostic costs. They give us a loaner every time I take it in. This is the first time we had them keep it for the entire time. In the past they kept it for about a week and then told us to come pick it up. This time they had a factory tech come out to see it. He claimed it is running fine. I told them that it is not an issue of how it runs, it is an issue of cutting out.
Anyway, I will report back next week. Thanks for the support. My wife and I appreciate it.

Jan 6, 2015
The winnable argument you have is the random nature of the failure. I successfully appealed an appliance replacement once because every time a tech came out it wouldn't fail (of course). They wanted to continue sending a tech per "the book", but I argued and won because that was a waste of time for both of us.

AMA

Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Although I don't recommend driving it again, if you end up in a position where you are driving and it stops, have it towed directly to the dealership from the roadside without letting anyone try to jump it or mess around with it. At that point I'd just make Subaru buy it back. That happened with a VW Passat I owned - it would just stop for no reason. When it stopped on the highway with my little kids in the car, I had it towed directly to a Toyota dealership and traded it in the next day. I will never buy another VW again.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
What happens when the similar replacement model has the same problem?

Jan 6, 2015
What happens when the similar replacement model has the same problem?
An appropriate question. I am thinking he/she selects a different model. Similar meaning an SUV for an SUV, sedan for a sedan, etc. But even if ti's the same model, they could ask for a year newer (or older if low mileage).

Other than a buy back, this is the only practical option in my opinion as they can't afford an upgrade . . .

Jan 16, 2019
Although I don't recommend driving it again, if you end up in a position where you are driving and it stops, have it towed directly to the dealership from the roadside without letting anyone try to jump it or mess around with it. At that point I'd just make Subaru buy it back. That happened with a VW Passat I owned - it would just stop for no reason. When it stopped on the highway with my little kids in the car, I had it towed directly to a Toyota dealership and traded it in the next day. I will never buy another VW again.
I hope I can "make them take it back"! We already kind of tried that when the last time they gave us a loaner I told my wife not to take it back until they resolved it. I wasn't in town. They told her that she couldn't do that so she took it back. She is too much of an honest person!!
I am taking the approach of being nice. Lets see how that plays out. Frankly, I am afraid that I am actually at their mercy. It does not qualify for a lemon because they have not attempted three repairs for the same issue. They keep sending it home without doing anything.

Jan 6, 2015
You can be firm and still be nice. First pass of what I might say:

I expect that all vehicle will experience issues over time. What concerns me here are two things: the age of this vehicle when it was purchased (3 years, 12,000 miles), and the severity/frequency of the failure. This car is, in my opinion, too new to be exhibiting a failure of this magnitude. And the failure in question is more concerning than most, at least for me. Given that it dies unexpectedly, and has in one case not restarted, how am I to plan going forward?​
Specifically, what if it dies on an interstate in a major city? My family could be standing in very traffic. And what about weather? Do I take a chance and drive in severe weather? Anyone would be concerned about being stuck in adverse conditions. Finally, there is concern about "back roads". If we wanted to travel the scenic route to anywhere we'd be stranded where towing is both difficult and expensive.​
Bottom line, we are now deeply and rightfully concerned every time we leave home. Therefore, I respectfully request that you either buy back this vehicle or offer an exchange for something similar.​
Maybe this will help . . .