2015 Subaru Crosstrec just cuts out on the highway.

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jan 16, 2019
We bought this used in 2016 with about 12,000 miles on it. It is a fully loaded, all the bells and whistles. A real gem, so we thought. I had to search far and wide to get exactly what the wife was looking for. We are from Syracuse, NY. I found it in New Hampshire.
Since we have had it, on four occasions, all on the highway, it just cuts out. We have to coast to the side of the road. On three of the occasions it started back up. On the one that it didn't we had it towed to the dealership, 200 miles from home. Each time we start by calling the 800 # help line. On the tree occasions when it did start up we went to the dealership when we got back into town, within a day or two of the event. When we do go back to the dealership they have only been able to repeat it once, the time we had it towed to the dealership. That time they replaced a lot of expensive parts. Then, about a year later, it happened again. On the three other occasions they could not repeat it, so they sent us home without any solution. Since they only attempted to fix it once, the lemon law does not kick in. It requires three attempts to fix it before it qualifies.
Subaru sent us a very nice Yety cooler. They offered us a great deal on a trade in but we are not in a position right now to buy another car.
We cant really sell it, in good consonance. It doesn't work!
Recently, I found the email addresses to the top usa brass of Subaru on this web site and I sent them a very nice letter asking for help. The thing is, I am not sure what to ask for. I asked that they trade it for a 215 that works. I only sent the email yesterday.
as follows:
"Help me please. The problem is so bad your dealerships send me home without even trying to fix it. The car cuts out while driving down the highway.
I have been working with the Subaru help phone number and they have been helpful, but the problem persists. The local dealership just shrugs their shoulders. It is a weird problem. They help, but have not been able to resolve it.
Two years ago my wife, then my fiance, Gretchen, found a perfect car, a year old (2015), CrossTrec, with all the bells and whistles. I had to search far and wide to get the exact one she wanted. We are from Syracuse, NY. We found the vehicle in New Hampshire. It had been the dealership owners wife's car. I thought, perfect. It was only a year old and it had limited miles. It was a beauty! We came home so happy.
Then one day, while going down the Thruway, headed home to Pittsburgh, in the middle of the night, the car just stopped. Gretchen coasted to the side of the road. It had just cut out. Nothing responded. Thruway rules that you have to use a Thruway tow truck to get off the Thruway and then another to get you home. The first tow truck took her to a gas station, where the car started again. She resumed her trip and made it home. (How scary.)
When she got home we took it to the dealership where they said that they could not do anything unless they could repeat the problem. They sent us home with the car without doing anything.
The next time it happened, again on the thruway late at night I was headed to Ohio, the car just stopped. Again, I coasted to the side of the road. I called it in to the main help line for Subaru. Next, it started up again. I resumed my journey and made it home all right.
This is crazy.
Gretchen was far from home, down near Pennsylvania when it happened again. She had it towed to the local dealer. They took it out on a test drive AND IT DID IT!!!!!
They replaced some parts and hoped it was fixed and we brought it home.
It just did it again, a year later. We were on our way home from New York City, we were driving home on a rainy day and we were somewhere up in the Poconos. Gretchen was driving. I was dozing next to her and she excitedly pointing to the dash, I thought she was pointing out the window, I was looking for something on the highway. She wanted me to see what lights were on, she wanted me to help document what was going on. I did quickly see what she was pointing to, I had noticed that the car was slowing down. The tack was spinning, the speedometer was too. The computer screen rebooted. Then, before we could pull over, it started again. wooooa, thank goodness. We finished the drive home. Immediately after the event I called the 800 number for Subaru support and asked for help.
When we got back in town, the next day, I took it to the dealership and went in to speak with the owner, to ask him for help. He was sympathetic but told me that there was not much he could do. He told me that I needed to get the dealership where I bought it involved. He then took me to the Service Manager who is helping me. However, he points out that if they can not duplicate the problem there is nothing they can do.
We have been sent a very nice Yety Cooler. Thank you. We have been offered a great deal to trade it in. We are not in a position to make that kind of purchase right now.
We cant sell it, it would be irresponsible. We could not, in good consciousness.
We have a lov/hate relationship with our Subaru. We want it to work. We want to be able to confidently take our pretty car across the state and back again without having to worry about this.
It does not qualify for a lemon because that requires three attempts to fix it. There has only been one attempt. Every time we take it in they tell me they cant do anything, so it hasn't been attempted to be fixed.
At this point, the only thing I can think that you might be able to do is to trade it for another 2015, one that does not have this problem.
Otherwise, is there some service center that Subaru has where it does testing and can really get into this to find the problem?
Please help.
The vin number is JF2XXXXXXXXXXXX
We are working with THE LOCAL Subaru in Syracuse NY.

Please let me know that you are looking at this.
Thank you,
Michael"

I am waiting for a reply. Any suggestions would be appreciated. It is a dangerous situation that we have. We could be stranded in the middle of nowhere on a dark cold winter night.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
We bought this used in 2016 with about 12,000 miles on it. It is a fully loaded, all the bells and whistles. A real gem, so we thought. I had to search far and wide to get exactly what the wife was looking for. We are from Syracuse, NY. I found it in New Hampshire.
Since we have had it, on four occasions, all on the highway, it just cuts out. We have to coast to the side of the road. On three of the occasions it started back up. On the one that it didn't we had it towed to the dealership, 200 miles from home. Each time we start by calling the 800 # help line. On the tree occasions when it did start up we went to the dealership when we got back into town, within a day or two of the event. When we do go back to the dealership they have only been able to repeat it once, the time we had it towed to the dealership. That time they replaced a lot of expensive parts. Then, about a year later, it happened again. On the three other occasions they could not repeat it, so they sent us home without any solution. Since they only attempted to fix it once, the lemon law does not kick in. It requires three attempts to fix it before it qualifies.
Subaru sent us a very nice Yety cooler. They offered us a great deal on a trade in but we are not in a position right now to buy another car.
We cant really sell it, in good consonance. It doesn't work!
Recently, I found the email addresses to the top usa brass of Subaru on this web site and I sent them a very nice letter asking for help. The thing is, I am not sure what to ask for. I asked that they trade it for a 215 that works. I only sent the email yesterday.
as follows:
"Help me please. The problem is so bad your dealerships send me home without even trying to fix it. The car cuts out while driving down the highway.
I have been working with the Subaru help phone number and they have been helpful, but the problem persists. The local dealership just shrugs their shoulders. It is a weird problem. They help, but have not been able to resolve it.
Two years ago my wife, then my fiance, Gretchen, found a perfect car, a year old (2015), CrossTrec, with all the bells and whistles. I had to search far and wide to get the exact one she wanted. We are from Syracuse, NY. We found the vehicle in New Hampshire. It had been the dealership owners wife's car. I thought, perfect. It was only a year old and it had limited miles. It was a beauty! We came home so happy.
Then one day, while going down the Thruway, headed home to Pittsburgh, in the middle of the night, the car just stopped. Gretchen coasted to the side of the road. It had just cut out. Nothing responded. Thruway rules that you have to use a Thruway tow truck to get off the Thruway and then another to get you home. The first tow truck took her to a gas station, where the car started again. She resumed her trip and made it home. (How scary.)
When she got home we took it to the dealership where they said that they could not do anything unless they could repeat the problem. They sent us home with the car without doing anything.
The next time it happened, again on the thruway late at night I was headed to Ohio, the car just stopped. Again, I coasted to the side of the road. I called it in to the main help line for Subaru. Next, it started up again. I resumed my journey and made it home all right.
This is crazy.
Gretchen was far from home, down near Pennsylvania when it happened again. She had it towed to the local dealer. They took it out on a test drive AND IT DID IT!!!!!
They replaced some parts and hoped it was fixed and we brought it home.
It just did it again, a year later. We were on our way home from New York City, we were driving home on a rainy day and we were somewhere up in the Poconos. Gretchen was driving. I was dozing next to her and she excitedly pointing to the dash, I thought she was pointing out the window, I was looking for something on the highway. She wanted me to see what lights were on, she wanted me to help document what was going on. I did quickly see what she was pointing to, I had noticed that the car was slowing down. The tack was spinning, the speedometer was too. The computer screen rebooted. Then, before we could pull over, it started again. wooooa, thank goodness. We finished the drive home. Immediately after the event I called the 800 number for Subaru support and asked for help.
When we got back in town, the next day, I took it to the dealership and went in to speak with the owner, to ask him for help. He was sympathetic but told me that there was not much he could do. He told me that I needed to get the dealership where I bought it involved. He then took me to the Service Manager who is helping me. However, he points out that if they can not duplicate the problem there is nothing they can do.
We have been sent a very nice Yety Cooler. Thank you. We have been offered a great deal to trade it in. We are not in a position to make that kind of purchase right now.
We cant sell it, it would be irresponsible. We could not, in good consciousness.
We have a lov/hate relationship with our Subaru. We want it to work. We want to be able to confidently take our pretty car across the state and back again without having to worry about this.
It does not qualify for a lemon because that requires three attempts to fix it. There has only been one attempt. Every time we take it in they tell me they cant do anything, so it hasn't been attempted to be fixed.
At this point, the only thing I can think that you might be able to do is to trade it for another 2015, one that does not have this problem.
Otherwise, is there some service center that Subaru has where it does testing and can really get into this to find the problem?
Please help.
The vin number is JF2XXXXXXXXXXXX
We are working with THE LOCAL Subaru in Syracuse NY.

Please let me know that you are looking at this.
Thank you,
Michael"

I am waiting for a reply. Any suggestions would be appreciated. It is a dangerous situation that we have. We could be stranded in the middle of nowhere on a dark cold winter night.
Take your car to an experienced independent mechanic and get another opinion, just as you would do with a medical problem.

Have you done an internet search to see if this is a common problem on 2015 Subarus?

Jan 16, 2019
Take your car to an experienced independent mechanic and get another opinion, just as you would do with a medical problem.

Have you done an internet search to see if this is a common problem on 2015 Subarus?
This is a totally uncommon problem.
We have had it to three different Subaru dealerships and have had the same results.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
This is a totally uncommon problem.
We have had it to three different Subaru dealerships and have had the same results.
How do you know it is an uncommon problem? You cannot rely on the dealer to tell you about it if there has been no recall. Do you have an extended warranty?

Jan 16, 2019
No extended warranty. An internet search resulted in zero reports of anything like what we are dealing with.
Your suggesting that an independent mechanic would be a good place to get another opinion on this problem? This has not occurred to me. I have been adamant with Subaru that since we reported the problem while it was still under warranty, until they finally fix it, its on them. They have agreed with this. I will speak with my local foreign car expert.
I reported that this is an uncommon problem because of the three dealerships that we have taken it to only one did anything and that was after taking it for a test drive and it happened. If this was a common problem they would have fixed it.

Jan 16, 2019
Have you replaced the alternator?
No, the alternator has not been replaced. I am curious why you would think of that. I ask that because if it makes sence I will speak with the service manger about it. They are very willing to make this right. They are simply at a stand still unless they can get it to repeat.

Jan 16, 2019
One of my big questions is, should the management of Subaru reply to my letter, what is a reasonable thing to ask of them? Is it reasonable to ask for a working replacement? I think so. Brainstorming on this would be helpful for me. Thanks.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
One of my big questions is, should the management of Subaru reply to my letter, what is a reasonable thing to ask of them? Is it reasonable to ask for a working replacement? I think so. Brainstorming on this would be helpful for me. Thanks.
The email you have posted is much too long and contains unnecessary information and omits essential facts (like mileage, warranty status). The person at Subaru who received your email will know nothing about your car or your interactions with the dealers.

You need to send a concise set of bulleted points with a complete story of what happened.

It is reasonable to ask them to repair your car. You have said "on four occasions, all on the highway, it just cuts out" but have not said what the mileage was when this happened or whether it was under a new car or extended warranty.

It is not reasonable to ask for a replacement car until you have met the "lemon law" requirements of your state.

AMA

Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Because when a car just STOPS for no reason, and nothing is on fire or burning, and the battery is fine, and it's not making some sort of horrible noise, the alternator is the first suspect. Take it to an independent mechanic, like my colleagues advise, and get the alternator looked at.

No, the alternator has not been replaced. I am curious why you would think of that. I ask that because if it makes sence I will speak with the service manger about it. They are very willing to make this right. They are simply at a stand still unless they can get it to repeat.

Jan 16, 2019
Update!!!! Just got a call from Corporate. They assured me that they are going to make it right!!
We will see how it ends up. Thank you all for your feedback. Great stuff. A valuable forum!

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
So glad you heard from them, Michael, I was concerned about the length of your letter and the lack of important facts. You will get this solved, one way or the other. But I want to point out that what's happening with the Subaru could literally be life-threatening. The vehicle dying on a multi-lane fast-paced road at night? Horrific to contemplate. I would rent a vehicle and not drive the Subaru until the problems are dealt with. I know that sounds harsh and expensive ... and it is. But what price can you put on someone's life?

Jul 16, 2016
Good that corporate will make it right, but I do want to correct your statement about an internet search returning zero results- there are reports of the Crosstrek losing power. Please reply if you need help with search results.

Jan 16, 2019
jsn55, I wish I could afford to just leave it in the driveway and use a rental. I understand your point and you are right.
kathymcn, I only searched it yesterday after it was suggested, a cursory search. I will go after it more aggressively and see what I come up with.
I will keep you all posted on progress.

Sep 27, 2018
Had this happen many years ago on a Dodge i owned. Driving along and it would just die, and then you could start it up. The problem was a wire going to the ignition system that was not in the harness. It rubbed and wore the insulation off, so that when I hit a bump the wire would touch the metal and short out the engine, stopping it. Since it was only a momentary touching, once I got it into park, the wire would not be touching and it would start. As others have said, go to an independent mechanic who can investigate. The dealers tend to be part replacers and go on what the computer tells them to do. Good luck.

Jan 16, 2019
Good that corporate will make it right, but I do want to correct your statement about an internet search returning zero results- there are reports of the Crosstrek losing power. Please reply if you need help with search results.
OMG. I found the reports. Thank you. I am not sure how this will help but it is interesting.

Jan 16, 2019
Update!
So, Subaru told me not to worry, they were going to help me resolve this. Yeaaaa, right?
I had already booked the car into the local Subaru dealership shop. I had made arraignments to get a loaner. the subaru help people on line havent really done much ... yet.
I am told that if they cant get it to reproduce the problem they are going to have to send it home with me. We have had the car since 2016 and it has happened 4 times. What are the chances of them getting it to repeat the problem while they have it? Not great!
In two weeks I have to return the loaner and the local shop is done.. They are going to send me back home with it.
Subaru help has asked me what I would like them to do for me at this point. I have a couple of ideas, but I was wondering what you guys might offer.
Again, it is a 2015 Crosstrek, we bought it in 2016 with around 15000 miles. Since we have had it it has cut out on us while going full speed down the highway. It has done this 4 times. on three of the four times it has started up again while on the side of the road and we got home. Each time we have reported it and had it in to be "fixed". Once, a tech was able to have the problem repeat. They changed a bunch of parts and sent us home.
It happened most recently in December around Christmas. It took a while to get into the shop because we had to wait on a loaner.
In about two weeks I have to return the loaner.
They have asked me, at this point, to suggest what I would like Subaru to do for me.
Suggestions? Thoughts?
Thank you.