2009 ford escape with no power steering

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Nov 17, 2018
I own a 2009 ford escape with true 30,500 miles on it. There was a recall in 2014 for possible loss of power steering. I took it to my local ford dealer and they reprogrammed the PSCM and IC. My recall letter states that they will "update the appropriate modules and increase driver awareness by sounding a chime and displaying a wrench light in the message center. Alternatively., the dealer may need to replace the torque sensor or the steering column. This service will be performed free of charge." Fast forward to October 2018 when I lost power steering...no chime no wrench light. I returned to same dealership and was told the PSCM needs replaced at a cost to me of$1797.45 . I live on ss therefore it will take me about a year to save this much money for a repair I believe ford should be responsible for. I dont believe any car regardless of age with such low mileage should have this as a normal wear and tear issue. I have sent an email to Phil Perry the head of CR in dearborn 2.5 weeks ago and have yet to receive a response. The next emails I send will be to the National Highway traffic safety administration and the BBB.

Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
I own a 2009 ford escape with true 30,500 miles on it. There was a recall in 2014 for possible loss of power steering. I took it to my local ford dealer and they reprogrammed the PSCM and IC. My recall letter states that they will "update the appropriate modules and increase driver awareness by sounding a chime and displaying a wrench light in the message center. Alternatively., the dealer may need to replace the torque sensor or the steering column. This service will be performed free of charge." Fast forward to October 2018 when I lost power steering...no chime no wrench light. I returned to same dealership and was told the PSCM needs replaced at a cost to me of$1797.45 . I live on ss therefore it will take me about a year to save this much money for a repair I believe ford should be responsible for. I dont believe any car regardless of age with such low mileage should have this as a normal wear and tear issue. I have sent an email to Phil Perry the head of CR in dearborn 2.5 weeks ago and have yet to receive a response. The next emails I send will be to the National Highway traffic safety administration and the BBB.
Do not contact the NTSB or BBB yet. Neither is likely to help you. The BBB is a waste of an email.
Use the Ford contacts: https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/ford/
Be aware that there may be a time and mileage limitation on the Ford recall. The recall came out 4 years ago and may have a time limit.
Even though your car has only 30,000 miles on it, it is 9 or 10 years old and automobile systems deteriorate over time independent of mileage, esp those with seals like power steering. Electronics corrode regardless of mileage.
Email the first cust serv person with a concise set of information points about your car. If no/negative response, move up to the next CS person after a week, continue weekly until all of the contacts are emailed. DO NOT email all at once.