20 year timeshare owner.

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Oct 12, 2019
I have been a owner at worldmark for 20 plus years.....most timeshare owners know they got duped in the beginning but then use the timeshare the best they can and pay the fees.......I am now ready to pass my ownership on to my kids and one of the many promises that have not been kept is a seamless free transition to your kids........I started that process in may this year during chemo for stage 4 cancer..........Wyndham has a company "ovation" (their second effort to appease this promise for long time owners).......they told me it would be 4 to 6 weeks to get this transaction completed....I called after 4 weeks with no communication and called again after 6 weeks with still no effort on their part.......finnally in Aug i got a real lawyer to talk with me after emailing the ceo (Brown)......she said these things take time so I started playing the sympathy card, saying I would die before it got passed on.......she said to have my spouse pass it on.....I lied and said she was dead, she said then my daughter who I was passing it to could finish it......I lied again and said my daughter was extremely depressed and her husband would have to handle it......i said couldnt we just get it done, I would feel better handling it before I died......FINNALLY she softened and asked if I had sent in the in the paperwork.....I said I didnt get any paperwork ......how long will it take now?.......she said probably december.......after I told her I'd most likely be dead by then , she said I'll email the forms and push them thru.......mind you, I had to play sympathy and lie to get her going for a benefit that was part of the selling point in 2091........I got the papers, had them notarized on both ends, they are now asking for more forms to be filled out and it is october.......5 friggen months ......i went off on them and we all know one usually has to pay a lawyer to get this done and i cant afford one.......she got very cold and said have your lawyer contact our lawyers.........is there any way to get this done for free and make these assholes pay for my time stress and their lies to all 20 year loyal paid in full clients?......the promise in 2001 of this purchase being a good investment was a lit also......if I sell this 20000 dollar investment, I could maybe get 3 grand in 4 to 6 months.......their greed Lies and stall tactics are reprehensible and gotta be borderline illegal.......I asked her 5 times in 2 months "what happens to my contract and points if I die and it goes unresolved and she would never answer that question......her name is evony.........please help me !

Feb 16, 2018
The method that is used in this forum for self-help is listed in the company contacts section, on how to compose and send your correspondence. You can find the list of company contacts and compose your emails in the manner recommended.
You may have already hurt your own effort by bringing up a lawyer. Once you do that most companies will no longer communicate with you, but try anyway. I would sugggest you remove all emotion/anger/lies from your letter, and by no means use any profanity. This will hurt your chances of getting someone to read/respond to your letter. Was your wife listed on the contract as an owner with you? If she was you may have severely hurt your effort by telling them she was dead. If not look at your contract, see what it says about the ownership in the event of your death.
Have you looked at what the actual resale value of your timeshare is? A quick glance at an online auction site shows hundreds of these timeshares with 100K points and more, all listed at $.01, with very few bids or sales. If your children actually want a timeshare they could get easily, without a transfer from you. Maybe all of this is not even worth your time.
Keep fighting the good fight against the cancer, I hope nothing but the best for you in both of your battles.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I have to agree with Dave- threatening a lawyer usually results in no more communication from the company. Once you threaten an attorney- you may have to actually hire one.

If your wife is still alive- and you told them she was not- didn’t you have to get her signature notarized on the paperwork? That would show then you were not telling the truth and this information might now be in your file.

We have company contacts for Wyndham:
https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/wyndham-vacation-ownership/

This is how to write:
https://forum.elliott.org/threads/resolving-consumer-complaints-and-developing-a-paper-trail.8903/

If this doesn’t work- you will need the attorney you told them you were getting.

Here are a couple of questions- do your kids currently use the time share? Are they aware of the annual fees they will be responsible for? Often it is cheaper to just pay for a vacation than to maintain a timeshare. If they tire of the payments- then they will be stuck trying to get rid of it and their credit can suffer later on if they no longer want it and can’t afford payments.

Please be sure they actually want it. When my brother in law got divorced he couldn’t sign the paperwork fast enough to turn over his timeshare to his ex and get rid of the payments.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
The resale value of your timeshare is probably ZERO. In fact, you would likely have to PAY someone to get rid of it. Your $20K investment is not worth $3K. Owners often have to pay $100s to $1000+ to get rid of a timeshare.

So if you are trying to pass the timeshare to your children because of its real estate value, you should stop now. If you are passing it onto your children because they want it and plan to use it, be aware that they will be responsible for all current and future expenses (which will increase over time) in perpetuity. Your children can likely buy another timeshare that meets their needs for less than the costs you will incur.

May 28, 2019
Do your children want the continuous expense of this proposed gift? Bear in mind that the maintenance and tax bills will increase. They will not make any money if they try to sell this. It most likely will cost them money to get rid of it. Please think about the financial impact of this gift on your children.

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
While I love my parents, there is not ANY CHANCE or for ANY reason I would take on their Time Share. In fact I can not think of anything more financially damaging than being saddled with a TS that will bleed me dry.
Please please don’t do this to your children!

Last edited:

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Does your daughter, or your other children, want this timeshare? If not, you need to make a Plan B. You'll probably need a lawyer. If nobody wants your timeshare, it will be important that your will is worded correctly ... you don't want the timeshare people coming after your beneficiaries. Wyndham probably thinks you're at death's door, so they may not do anything for you at all.

Sep 18, 2014
If OP's timeshare is in a resort/tourist area with many such units, there are undoubtedly several companies there specializing in helping folks get rid of unwanted timeshare properties. We were in Branson, MO over the weekend, and saw at least three storefronts advertising such services. Don't know how legit any of these companies are, but if OP can't get anywhere w/ Wyndham, they may be worth looking into as a Plan B as @jsn55 suggested. A Google search for "timeshare disposal in (area)" or similar should yield something.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
If OP's timeshare is in a resort/tourist area with many such units, there are undoubtedly several companies there specializing in helping folks get rid of unwanted timeshare properties. We were in Branson, MO over the weekend, and saw at least three storefronts advertising such services. Don't know how legit any of these companies are, but if OP can't get anywhere w/ Wyndham, they may be worth looking into as a Plan B as @jsn55 suggested. A Google search for "timeshare disposal in (area)" or similar should yield something.
Many of these storefronts (and similar online agencies) are scams that charge upfront and you will never hear from them again. They are "specializing in helping folks get rid of unwanted" money. If they want money upfront, run away.

Sep 18, 2014
Many of these storefronts (and similar online agencies) are scams that charge upfront and you will never hear from them again. They are "specializing in helping folks get rid of unwanted" money. If they want money upfront, run away.
Yeah, I was a little suspicious after seeing 2, then a 3rd place like that. At the time, I wondered how legitimate they were, but you've confirmed my suspicions. So maybe not such a good Plan B … better to find a real lawyer through the local/county/state bar association, preferably one who is familiar with timeshare matters.
(And OP, I wish you the best with your health situation as well.)

Jul 30, 2018
There's been a lot of heartbreaking stories this past year about these "timeshare disposal" companies who purport that they can get an owner "out" of it, when their only goal is scamming seniors out of incredible amounts of money. Timeshares, for the most part, have no resale value and realistically the only way out is to pay someone to take it off your hands. I know several folks who bought timeshares for $1 each and the sellers prepaid several years of the timeshares' maintenance fees for the buyers.