Lufthansa Refund - sent to closed Chase CC - Chase returned refund to Lufthansa's bank

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
Nov 30, 2020
My Lufthansa flight was cancelled due to the Covid-19 pandemic. Unfortunately, I closed my Chase credit card account in early 2020 (the original form of payment). I informed Lufthansa that my account was closed and customer service forwarded my alternate bank details to the refund department. However, Lufthansa processed the refund to the closed account in August 2020. In early October 2020, I was able to secure documentation from Chase Bank that the refund had been returned to Lufthansa's bank. Upon receipt of this documentation, Lufthansa customer service stated that their accounting department would investigate and they requested my bank account details for a bank wire transfer. This was nearly 6 weeks ago and my last few emails to Lufthansa have gone unanswered. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. I feel that I have hit a roadblock in my quest to obtain my refund, despite the fact that Lufthansa has acknowledged that I am due a refund and they are in possession of proof that it has been returned to their bank.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Forum Moderator
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Here are our company contacts for Lufthansa:

Start at the bottom and send your letter, give them a week to reply. If they don't, or don't help - write to the first executive. Repeat weekly if necessary. Hopefully this will be an easy fix.

Nov 30, 2020
Hello,

Thank you for your response. I have been in correspondence with Lufthansa customer service for many months now. I have also sent two complaints to the U.S. Department of Transportation. I have a Feedback ID number. Am I ok to go ahead and email the first executive on the list? I really don't see any resolution coming from front line customer service representatives at this point.

Comicman

Jul 13, 2020
I would add that with most travel related companies , refunds are taking a lot longer then they have in then past. Many people have been waiting 6 months for their refunds , not 6 weeks.
I would follow the advice in post #2, but I would also not count out that a refund is still on it's way , just being a bit sluggish.

• Love
Reactions: jsn55

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Forum Moderator
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Hello,

Thank you for your response. I have been in correspondence with Lufthansa customer service for many months now. I have also sent two complaints to the U.S. Department of Transportation. I have a Feedback ID number. Am I ok to go ahead and email the first executive on the list? I really don't see any resolution coming from front line customer service representatives at this point.
If you have been dealing with Customer Service, your first letter should be to the first executive we show instead of Customer Service.

Reactions: Rosebud
Nov 30, 2020
I would add that with most travel related companies , refunds are taking a lot longer then they have in then past. Many people have been waiting 6 months for their refunds , not 6 weeks.
I would follow the advice in post #2, but I would also not count out that a refund is still on it's way , just being a bit sluggish.

Thank you for your response. Technically, I have been waiting 6 months as the refund request was originally initiated in early June 2020. Right now my issue is convincing Lufthansa that the refund was returned to their bank by Chase. From August to early October, Lufthansa insisted that the refund had been successfully processed, similar to the case reported in this thread: United Airlines sent my refund to a closed account. What now? - Elliott Advocacy.

After I sent definitive proof from Chase Bank that the refund had been returned, Lufthansa promised to send it to my open bank account and gave a timeline of 3 weeks maximum.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I agree with my colleagues ... your refund is most probably"in the works". I cannot imagine LUH doing anything about the problem in 3 weeks. I'd estimate 3-4 months from the time they started over, as long as the DoT hasn't contacted them as a result of your feedback. I certainly hope I am totally wrong!

Reactions: ngc31961
Nov 30, 2020
I agree with my colleagues ... your refund is most probably"in the works". I cannot imagine LUH doing anything about the problem in 3 weeks. I'd estimate 3-4 months from the time they started over, as long as the DoT hasn't contacted them as a result of your feedback. I certainly hope I am totally wrong!

Thank you for your response. I guess my biggest concern is how can I be sure that Lufthansa will actually send it to my open bank account this time? They were aware that my credit card account had been closed and they processed the transaction anyway. What happens if I wait 3-4 months only to find it they send it to my closed account once again?

What about civil action via small claims court? Any advice on when it's time to see that as the last viable option?

Comicman

Jul 13, 2020
I honestly do not think this problem will need litigation. Just more time.
You are not the only one with this exact same problem. There are probability thousands in the same boat.
I have heard of many that did get all their money in the end.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Thank you for your response. I guess my biggest concern is how can I be sure that Lufthansa will actually send it to my open bank account this time? They were aware that my credit card account had been closed and they processed the transaction anyway. What happens if I wait 3-4 months only to find it they send it to my closed account once again?

What about civil action via small claims court? Any advice on when it's time to see that as the last viable option?
I know exactly what you're saying ... I had to file an amended tax return by mail on April 9. The IRS had then shut down completely. So I waited for my $8K refund, hoping that they had received the return via USPS in the first place. And we eventually received a check. This virus disaster is just that ... a disaster on a thousand fronts and we all suffer.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco

I'm thinking that the answer to your question (and mine regarding the IRS refund) is: You have to wait. If the problem is not solved, you have to start over. All the tactful, kind words are really just saying that we're helpless in a situation like yours. I am looking forward to an evening soon when I read your update that all is well with Lufthansa.

Nov 30, 2020
I'm thinking that the answer to your question (and mine regarding the IRS refund) is: You have to wait. If the problem is not solved, you have to start over. All the tactful, kind words are really just saying that we're helpless in a situation like yours. I am looking forward to an evening soon when I read your update that all is well with Lufthansa.
Thank you for the kind and insightful words. Patience is a virtue...but life has taught me that the more time passes, the more difficult it is to get money back that is due....whether it be loans from friends, or money owed by businesses. That's why I'm trying to be assertive now before too much time passes.

Nov 30, 2020
It looks like you were right about Lufthansa taking 3-4 months from the time that they started over with my refund case. Almost February and still no word...several emails have gone unanswered.