Iceland Air Refund Request

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
Sep 7, 2020
I had flights booked for my family in June for a stopover in Iceland and then on to Europe/Paris. Iceland Air cancelled less than a week before the flight. They sent an email about a travel voucher or refund request. When I went to the email, there was a big button to go to the Iceland Air website to claim your voucher or refund. When I followed the link, it only allowed me to submit the travel voucher. I went back to the email and scrolled down to the fine print to find another link if I wanted a refund. So I went to that form and submitted the request asking that the travel voucher be cancelled and the refund provided. There was no where for me to request that the travel voucher request be cancelled and no one was responding to emails or answering the chat service (I left the chat open for over 4 hours one day waiting for someone to join). I ended up receiving the denial to the refund request and receiving the travel voucher. I have tried to reach Iceland Air for months now trying to get the refund and cancel the voucher. I realize I have a voucher, but the same tickets to Europe are going to cost me much more now than the voucher will cover. Should I be able to receive the refund? What rights do we have here? Thanks for any feedback/support.

VoR61

Jan 6, 2015
the United States
From the information you posted it appears that you wanted a refund but ended up requesting a voucher. Then you attempted to cancel but couldn't, after which they denied your refund request and sent a voucher.

Your best option, I believe, is to escalate this in writing[/size][/font] using the contacts listed on this site:

Your goal should be to win them over. To that end:
• Do not accuse or criticize. Politeness dramatically increases the likelihood of success.
• Do not send attachments unless asked. Your email might be quarantined and never read.
• Do not start with the CEO or email everyone at once. Begin at the lowest level shown in our Company Contacts listed above
• Present a brief summary (bulleted list) and give each contact one (1) week to respond before escalating to the next level

Sep 7, 2020
This is very helpful VoR61! thank you for your advice. Will let you know if I'm successful.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Your chances of switching the voucher to a refund are very small, I'm sorry to say. Airlines are having serious financial troubles as a result of the virus. While I'm not being accusatory, they are doing everything possible to cause their pax to settle for a voucher. They literally are running out cash. Overhead expenses continue, revenue is non-existent. I'm confused about your statement that new tix would be more than the voucher. Why would that be? I've been pricing several international trips over the past weeks and fares aren't any worse than before. I wish we had better news for you.

Sep 7, 2020
Yes, I understand the current predicament of airlines. I just checked the prices for the same time period in 2021 and it will cost $500 more for the same time period and services.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Agree. I'll keep watching.
Good plan ... when I put a trip together, I dig up all the relevant facts, find out who flies there, schedules (I hate connections), kind of aircraft, my loyalty status, fares on various dates ... and boil it down to when we want to fly, what the price is in cash, in miles, or for a combination of the two. Then I just check weekly with the airline I want to see if the fares start coming down. Not having to deal with change/cancel fees from now on is going to make life really great for the travel planner! I've tried Google Flights and a couple of others, but they seem to just drop off one day and stop sending alerts. And I may not notice for a few weeks. God forbid I should miss a good fare ... it takes at least five minutes to check directly with the airline.