130 days & counting! What to do? Engine died on my 2013 BMW. Dealer & extended warranty company each claim the other is the problem.

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Sep 16, 2019
Please help!
My 2013 BMW has been at the local BMW dealership for the past 130 days.

Short story: BMW dealership has had my 2013 X5M since the engine died back in May. I bought the car used with an extended warranty. The warranty company has authorized BMW to replace the engine with a salvage (junkyard) engine. BMW says they can't find an engine that will work and says the extended warranty company isn't providing an engine. Warranty company provided information for where BMW can get an engine in the price range; but, BMW says they can't be sure that engine will work...and so on back and forth.

Details:
American Guardian Warranty Service (extended warranty (EW) company) has authorized BMW to replace the engine with a salvage engine. I'm fine with that. However, the EW company will only reimburse BMW after the repairs are complete...they won't pay for an engine and ship it to BMW. EW company found an engine of the same year and model as my car, and used that engine for coming up with a price that they would reimburse BMW.

BMW dealership says they can't be sure the engine will work unless they have the VIN of the donor car. According to the BMW dealership, the company that has the salvage engine hasn't returned emails or phone calls to provide the VIN of the donor car. EW company says that's not their problem - they gave BMW a dollar amount and BMW can find another engine to repair the car if they don't like the one the EW company provided. BMW says they can't find an engine in the price range authorized. When I have found engines that match the make and model of the car, the dealership has on different occasions a) dragged their feet until the engines are no longer available and b) stated that the engines won't work.

I appreciate any suggestions. My next step is to email the BMW contacts here: https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/bmw/

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Please help!
My 2013 BMW has been at the local BMW dealership for the past 130 days.

Short story: BMW dealership has had my 2013 X5M since the engine died back in May. I bought the car used with an extended warranty. The warranty company has authorized BMW to replace the engine with a salvage (junkyard) engine. BMW says they can't find an engine that will work and says the extended warranty company isn't providing an engine. Warranty company provided information for where BMW can get an engine in the price range; but, BMW says they can't be sure that engine will work...and so on back and forth.

Details:
American Guardian Warranty Service (extended warranty (EW) company) has authorized BMW to replace the engine with a salvage engine. I'm fine with that. However, the EW company will only reimburse BMW after the repairs are complete...they won't pay for an engine and ship it to BMW. EW company found an engine of the same year and model as my car, and used that engine for coming up with a price that they would reimburse BMW.

BMW dealership says they can't be sure the engine will work unless they have the VIN of the donor car. According to the BMW dealership, the company that has the salvage engine hasn't returned emails or phone calls to provide the VIN of the donor car. EW company says that's not their problem - they gave BMW a dollar amount and BMW can find another engine to repair the car if they don't like the one the EW company provided. BMW says they can't find an engine in the price range authorized. When I have found engines that match the make and model of the car, the dealership has on different occasions a) dragged their feet until the engines are no longer available and b) stated that the engines won't work.

I appreciate any suggestions. My next step is to email the BMW contacts here: https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/bmw/

Take the car (have it towed) to an independent BMW mechanic. There is no reason to do the engine replacement through the dealer (and good reason NOT to use the dealer). There is no BMW warranty on the car. Your extended warranty should (you need to check on this to be sure) allow you to use any qualified service shop.

Also, you do not want a "salvage" engine. You want a rebuilt engine. Google"BMW x5m rebuilt engine". An independent mechanic can work with the rebuilt engine supplier to find the correct engine for the car. The BMW dealer is a huge waste of your time and money. You have been through a major, unnecessary, runaround by the dealer.