$12,280 over charge

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 6, 2015
By way of reason, you might offer this:

Pay Verizon the $1,500 your boss would have been billed if the phone had an international plan
Pay your boss the $5-$15 per month for that plan, plus the long distance charges per month

Apr 9, 2019
Oh no I’m not blaming anyone by any means ..... He knew I was calling to Ukraine. I have been over there several times to Ukraine so he knew all about these calls. He too thought the unlimited data meant for everything and why Verizon could let this continue and not send any notifications to either one of us until it had already exceeded 10,000 is beyond me

Apr 9, 2019
Since this is a business account Verizon may not be as understanding as if it were a personal account.
Business account or not it is still a single father raising his son on his own who has to pay this bill and if I had the money I would gladly pay it directly back to my boss but at this point in my life I simply do not

Apr 9, 2019

Pay Verizon the $1,500 your boss would have been billed if the phone had an international plan
Pay your boss the $5-$15 per month for that plan, plus the long distance charges per month
I thank you for your advice but I don’t punch a time clock and I work from home and my phone and must travel 2 hours to Indianapolis once a week to submit my business ...

Apr 9, 2019

That would be amazing if they would agree to that but according to my boss they will not budge on this. Which I can’t fathom this thought but.....

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Oh no I’m not blaming anyone by any means ..... He knew I was calling to Ukraine. I have been over there several times to Ukraine so he knew all about these calls. He too thought the unlimited data meant for everything and why Verizon could let this continue and not send any notifications to either one of us until it had already exceeded 10,000 is beyond me
Thank you for explaining this more. If he was aware of this then maybe he might want to be
a little more lenient allowing you to repay this.

Has he tried to negotiate with Verizon about this?

I have AT and T and get multiple messages when I am going over my plan. Neither of you received any texts? I might bring that up to Verizon when writing

Feb 3, 2017
I have T-mobile - and there is a charge (minimal one though it is) for calls internationally and all texts are completely free.

But - when traveling and using my phone to call the states - I do get text notices from T-Mobile when I have racked up more than my usual monthly bill -

It is surprising no such notices/alerts were sent from Verizon.

I hope you manage to get break on this

Feb 16, 2018
If this phone is owned and paid for by your boss I doubt Verizon will even talk to you, since your name is not on the account. You should speak to your boss to see if he will contact them in an attempt to lower the bill.

Jan 6, 2015
Most importantly, since this is a business account in your manger's name, HE needs to appeal this with Verizon. They will likely not respond to you, as you are not an account holder. And when he does, I recommend that he summarize this experience:
  • I had thought that unlimited data meant for everything
  • I later learned I needed an international plan, which would have billed the calls at 26-31 cents per minute
  • That would have made total for these charges to approximately $1,500, which I am prepared to pay
  • I am respectfully requesting that you reduce the current charges to that amount
  • Finally, please add the international plan (he must select one) to this phone
The remainder of your points will not advance your cause, I think. While important to you, they could actually have the opposite effect . . .

Apr 9, 2019
Thank you for explaining this more. If he was aware of this then maybe he might want to be
a little more lenient allowing you to repay this.

Has he tried to negotiate with Verizon about this?

I have AT and T and get multiple messages when I am going over my plan. Neither of you received any texts? I might bring that up to Verizon when writing
Unfortunately he was not aware of this and was on the phone with Verizon several times and this was never brought to his attention. I received a text from Verizon only about a week ago and this was their first correspondence to me and I receive so many texts that is went unnoticed and only when my calls were rerouted to Verizon financial department did I find out about this

Apr 9, 2019
Most importantly, since this is a business account in your manger's name, HE needs to appeal this with Verizon. They will likely not respond to you, as you are not an account holder. And when he does, I recommend that he summarize this experience:
  • I had thought that unlimited data meant for everything
  • I later learned I needed an international plan, which would have billed the calls at 26-31 cents per minute
  • That would have made total for these charges to approximately $1,500, which I am prepared to pay
  • I am respectfully requesting that you reduce the current charges to that amount
  • Finally, please add the international plan (he must select one) to this phone
The remainder of your points will not advance your cause, I think. While important to you, they could actually have the opposite effect . . .
What if he has already paid the bill because he can not afford to have his phones turned off . Do you think there is a chance of them crediting his account?

Sep 19, 2015
Have you looked into Skype or similar program for the future.

Verizon may have not alerted as this is a business account — so high bills may not be a surprise.

It may be harder now that the bill has been paid.l; but the account holder has to request an adjustment.

It is also a challenge in that it is 2 months of bills.

I saw international plan as $15 per month and a per minute charge of .31 per minute to mobile — without taxes .

Even with the rate the charge would be over 1,200.

I would suspect that the employer does not want a long term extended payment plan (ie years) because of concern over job change.

I think the OP needs to have a serious talk to the owner/boss.

Apr 9, 2019
I understand everything you have said and thank you for your advice. Bottom line is Verizon should adjust this bill to the amount that is charged for the unlimited.... No person in their right business mind would pay these ridiculous over charges when they could clearly add an endorsement to the plan and reduce their bill by 90%... And I believe Verizon needs to have something in their system which automatically defaults to the unlimited international calling at whatever the rate it maybe .25-.31 as soon as it recognizes this is being used excessively... But should would and could have entirely different meanings ... But in the mean time my my life is affected and I’m not asking for pity from anyone but I think something can be done to justify a proper amount to be charged

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Have your boss use our company contacts and appeal to the Executives at Verizon. It’s worth a try but he has to do it because the phones are in his name.

Why didn’t he contact Verizon after the first month and get the plan changed? That’s not Verizon’s fault- he already knew at that point there was a huge bill and he should have dealt with it immediately. He could have turned off you cell phone access or at least told you to stop. If he did none of that then he is responsible for the second month.

https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/verizon-wireless/

https://forum.elliott.org/threads/resolving-consumer-complaints-and-developing-a-paper-trail.8903/

Apr 9, 2019
Unfortunately the bill is automatically withdrawn from his account and he has spread himself so thin that it was not recognized until he received his bank statement the following month

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Unfortunately the bill is automatically withdrawn from his account and he has spread himself so thin that it was not recognized until he received his bank statement the following month

But you said he saw the bill and then got another one. Did he contact them immediately when he saw the first withdrawal and tell them to make the change? If it were me, I would have immediately checked my Verizon account to make sure that theses calls were stopped.

Jul 15, 2016
I understand everything you have said and thank you for your advice. Bottom line is Verizon should adjust this bill to the amount that is charged for the unlimited.... No person in their right business mind would pay these ridiculous over charges when they could clearly add an endorsement to the plan and reduce their bill by 90%... And I believe Verizon needs to have something in their system which automatically defaults to the unlimited international calling at whatever the rate it maybe .25-.31 as soon as it recognizes this is being used excessively... But should would and could have entirely different meanings ... But in the mean time my my life is affected and I’m not asking for pity from anyone but I think something can be done to justify a proper amount to be charged
A couple of things from my side: FIRST AND MORE IMPORTANT: do you have a contract with your boss where it says he can deduct whatever amount from your paycheck? Not saying he shouldn’t but is it legal to discount everything and cutting you off ....or it can be at to certain %? I would check your contract and/or ask for legal help.

Second, and probably less likable comment, but I dont see you take some responsibility on this. I myself work for a telecom company with unlimited plan but no matter what my boss says I wouldnt call almost 2 hours per day and even international calls! Especially in these days where whatsapp/facetime/skype exist. You are challenging the business model of the company and it will not help you. And, .they sent sms just 1 week ago, but ....had they sent it 4 weeks ago how do you know you would have read it? You just said you dont read messages... I say all of this because you could change a little bit the sense of your petition to them (although I agree is your boss who has to write them). Anyway, good luck

Apr 9, 2019
Maybe I am just naive as we are on the phone with Verizon as I type this message... we were both naive on this billing... It was his mother in law that introduced me to her best friend so he was fully aware and encouraged me to talk to her on this business phone.... How was he to be aware of these ridiculous charges when he received no alerts as he is administrator on this plan... Yes I take responsibility for my actions yet at the same time had he known about this the instant it was out of control he would have added the necessary endorsement to minimize these charges and he was not notified to utilize this.... Yes it’s a bad deal no matter how you want to paint it and I take full responsibility for it but it all goes back to this could have been eliminated or at least minimized with the proper communication trail back to The administrator

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Maybe I am just naive as we are on the phone with Verizon as I type this message... we were both naive on this billing... It was his mother in law that introduced me to her best friend so he was fully aware and encouraged me to talk to her on this business phone.... How was he to be aware of these ridiculous charges when he received no alerts as he is administrator on this plan... Yes I take responsibility for my actions yet at the same time had he known about this the instant it was out of control he would have added the necessary endorsement to minimize these charges and he was not notified to utilize this.... Yes it’s a bad deal no matter how you want to paint it and I take full responsibility for it but it all goes back to this could have been eliminated or at least minimized with the proper communication trail back to The administrator
It is his obligation to ask. Unlimited is for domestic calls . If you look at the business information online it tells you that there are unlimited international TEXTS, not calls.

https://www.verizonwireless.com/biz/plans/business-unlimited/

Status
Not open for further replies.