‘19 Honda Passport /repair issues

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jul 6, 2019
I need assistance with how to contact Honda’s office of the President directly. Honda customer relations rep keep telling me they are the highest that I can go. I emailed the first point of contact for Honda that I found on this site, but she is out of the office for a while. I received an auto reply. The second point of contact hasn’t emailed me back in 2 weeks now.

Lucky to be alive. 2 error codes appeared and the vehicle started slowing down on the highway.....rapidly. I was in the middle lane and as I was trying to move over while putting my blinkers on, but the steering wheel started locking up. I managed to pull in the emergency lane as I was fighting with the steering wheel, but it was in the worst possible place around the corner.

1.) The vehicle took over and I was out of the picture. Steering was almost out of my control, vehicle speed kept going down and I could not accelerate. 2. The emergency lane position was not the best and someone could have slammed into me. Or what if I couldn't move over when this happened? I drive on many highways where there is construction and there's no emergency lane.
Has anyone experienced this same issue and what has the dealer done? I plan on contacting a lemon law attorney next. Why? This is major problem that I've had with only 5k miles on the odometer. The 1st issue was the Infotainment system not wanting to turn off and I had to pull out a fuse located on the engine so it would shut off or my battery would have died.
2 MAJOR problems.

I really, really like this suv, but now the safety features are messing with my safety.

The dealership claims it’s an intermittent issue and was only able to clear any failure codes. That’s not a fix! Honda issued a case manager to help, but all they can do is overlook what the dealership is doing.

Jan 6, 2015
Before you escalate further, I suggest you speak directly to the General Manager. He/she may be willing to exchange this one for a new SUV. GMs have access to regional representatives and can facilitate customer needs better than other employees.

I had this experience with an odd issue and the GM resolved it quickly to our satisfaction.

The contacts on this site do have what you are asking:

Tom Shoupe
Executive Vice President & COO

Chief Executive
Toshiaki Mikoshiba

Jul 6, 2019
Before you escalate further, I suggest you speak directly to the General Manager. He/she may be willing to exchange this one for a new SUV. GMs have access to regional representatives and can facilitate customer needs better than other employees.

I had this experience with an odd issue and the GM resolved it quickly to our satisfaction.

Tom Shoupe

Chief Executive
Toshiaki Mikoshiba
Spoke to the GM, they want to keep trying to fix the repair....

Regarding the contacts you listed, how may I get a hold of them directly or someone within their office?

Feb 16, 2018
Most lemon laws say that for a vehicle to qualify, there must be a substantial defect, which is unable to be fixed after a reasonable number of repair attempts. So if the infotainment system was fixed and has not acted up again, that won't help you. The dealership has to attempt to fix the vehicle while it is under warranty.

Jan 6, 2015
For clarification, 1plav stated:
  • "The 1st issue was the Infotainment system not wanting to turn off and I had to pull out a fuse located on the engine so it would shut off or my battery would have died." Nowhere is there an indication of that being fixed. Moreover, I interpret that as a symptom that appeared at the same time as the steering went south.
  • Also, I see this as an extraordinary problem. It is very dangerous, and risky to continue as "they want to keep trying to fix the repair".
I know I would not feel safe when the dealer is "trying" to fix it . . .

May 1, 2018
Most lemon laws say that for a vehicle to qualify, there must be a substantial defect, which is unable to be fixed after a reasonable number of repair attempts. So if the infotainment system was fixed and has not acted up again, that won't help you. The dealership has to attempt to fix the vehicle while it is under warranty.
Depending on the state, lemon laws are applicable if the vehicle is out of service being repaired for a cumulative amount of time (say 15 business days). So if the radio repair took a week, that would count against the manufacturer's cumulative time.

I don't know what state OP is in, but he certainly should proactively contact a lemon law attorney.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Jun 24, 2019
As to the entertainment system, I've had this problem on our Volvo, and may soon post about that. Search "parasitic battery drain" or similar words as this is how it is described in forums. Apparently, some radios installed with certain features just don't turn off. In Volvos, the radio searches every 15 seconds for a Sirius signal even if you are not subscribed to Sirius. There is a software patch, which turns off this search when the ignition is turned off, but it is not part of any maintenance routine. I've also seen comments about other aspects of entertainment systems not turning off which are ascribed to software issues. Someone has to identify the issue and then write the software patch.

If it is a software issue, it is beyond the dealer's capability to fix until a patch is available.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Your issue may be similar to this older one: https://www.torquenews.com/106/honda-recalls-2010-accord-crv-over-stalling-risk

The 2019 Passport is a new model and there may not be enough on the road yet to show up in a database with this problem.

You need to email the contacts listed above starting at the first person and waiting a week for their response. If no response, move to the next contact.
I would not include the infotainment issue as this is minor compared to the sudden deceleration issue.
You need to work with Honda and not start talking about a lemon law attorney.

Jul 30, 2018
We recommend to start at the bottom of the list and email one at a time leaving a week in between each letter. If you sent it to all three at once it might have gone to spam.

Read this and start over:

https://forum.elliott.org/threads/resolving-consumer-complaints-and-developing-a-paper-trail.8903/
I highly recommend you read the link Neal references above because it provides details and advice on how to compose your letter so that you have the best chance in solving your problem. A few thoughts:

Use bullet points to list only the facts of your problem, leaving out emotion, extraneous information and most of all any threats or references of legal action. Propose a reasonable solution. Bear in mind that the person reading your letter did not cause your problem, yet is in position to help you.

Start by writing to the first contact, waiting a week before moving on to the next one. Simultaneously writing all of them will almost certainly result in no response.

Do not reference or threaten legal action. Doing so will result in your letter being sent to the legal department and you will not get any response whatsoever.

After you compose your letter based on the guidelines in the link, feel free to post it before you send it so we can chime in with any other nuggets of advice; we are happy to help.

Jul 6, 2019
If I follow the email instructions and submit an email to each executive followed by waiting as per instructions....what should my next step be if none of the executives respond at that time?

Jul 6, 2019

Tom Shoupe

Chief Executive
Toshiaki Mikoshiba
GM basically told me I can trade it in or file lemon law. Not cool.