Your Verizon Wireless contact info really helped with an issue

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
May 31, 2017
I have had my college aged nephew on my Verizon Wireless account for 5 years. We are 1200 miles apart, I am in NY and he is in Louisiana. During that time I also purchased three new iPhones for him, the last in October, 2016, an iPhone 7. Also, at that time he turned in his old iPhone 6s in Louisiana and I received a credit each month for the phone. My goal was to purchase and payoff the phone by May 2017 when he graduated. I was told by several customer service reps both in October when I purchased the phone and again in April that I could pay the phone off whenever I wanted to and turn it over to him. The credit was amazing, about $400.

So in early May I called Verizon Wireless again to pay the remaining balance on the phone ($562.00 minus $300 left in credit) and to find out how to move my nephew off of my plan to his own. HAPPY GRADUATION!! (I thought) During this conversation with the customer service rep things changed, and I was told if I paid the entire phone off at that point in May, I would lose the credit. I basically had to keep him on my plan for 18 more months to utilize the credit. There were a couple of more equally bad suggestions as well. During the time I was on the phone with the rep, I remained respectful and courteous. Eventually I nicely asked to speak to a supervisor. When she reached out to a supervisor, the line was left open and I could hear a not so pleasant conversation about me and what I was trying to do. Interesting to have been able to hear that. Eventually the supervisor came on the phone and explained to me that my only option, other than paying 18 more months was to make a sub account for my nephew and let him pay it off for 18 months. At this point I had pretty much had enough as I had been on the phone for almost an hour. So I as difficult as it was, I POLITELY hung up.

It is then that I went into action, hitting your website to seek out the corporate contacts. After I found the Verizon Wireless contact information I reviewed your 5 things to do when contacting companies. Then I emailed the Verizon Wireless Vice-President for Customer Service. I did exactly what you said, I was respectful, kept the email as brief as possible, mentioned my 20 year association with them and noted that I wanted to continue the relationship. Within 2 hours I had a response from the Vice-President's assistant. I received an apology for the "misinformation" that I had received and they deposited $562.00 into my Verizon Wireless account to pay off the phone. CAN YOU BELIEVE IT? I was shocked and obviously really pleased with the outcome. They went above and beyond, as all I wanted to do was pay the balance and give my nephew the phone for his own account.

So kudos to you Christopher Elliott and your amazing staff for giving me the tools to facilitate this extraordinary outcome. It is good to know that you have my back.:)

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
I had a similar experience with Verizon.
Got information on coupon for new iphone then conflicting info at the store.
So, they listened to the recorded call, agreed with me and doubled the original coUpon offer.
New iPhone cost me -0- dollars. yay!

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I have had my college aged nephew on my Verizon Wireless account for 5 years. We are 1200 miles apart, I am in NY and he is in Louisiana. During that time I also purchased three new iPhones for him, the last in October, 2016, an iPhone 7. Also, at that time he turned in his old iPhone 6s in Louisiana and I received a credit each month for the phone. My goal was to purchase and payoff the phone by May 2017 when he graduated. I was told by several customer service reps both in October when I purchased the phone and again in April that I could pay the phone off whenever I wanted to and turn it over to him. The credit was amazing, about $400.

So in early May I called Verizon Wireless again to pay the remaining balance on the phone ($562.00 minus $300 left in credit) and to find out how to move my nephew off of my plan to his own. HAPPY GRADUATION!! (I thought) During this conversation with the customer service rep things changed, and I was told if I paid the entire phone off at that point in May, I would lose the credit. I basically had to keep him on my plan for 18 more months to utilize the credit. There were a couple of more equally bad suggestions as well. During the time I was on the phone with the rep, I remained respectful and courteous. Eventually I nicely asked to speak to a supervisor. When she reached out to a supervisor, the line was left open and I could hear a not so pleasant conversation about me and what I was trying to do. Interesting to have been able to hear that. Eventually the supervisor came on the phone and explained to me that my only option, other than paying 18 more months was to make a sub account for my nephew and let him pay it off for 18 months. At this point I had pretty much had enough as I had been on the phone for almost an hour. So I as difficult as it was, I POLITELY hung up.

It is then that I went into action, hitting your website to seek out the corporate contacts. After I found the Verizon Wireless contact information I reviewed your 5 things to do when contacting companies. Then I emailed the Verizon Wireless Vice-President for Customer Service. I did exactly what you said, I was respectful, kept the email as brief as possible, mentioned my 20 year association with them and noted that I wanted to continue the relationship. Within 2 hours I had a response from the Vice-President's assistant. I received an apology for the "misinformation" that I had received and they deposited $562.00 into my Verizon Wireless account to pay off the phone. CAN YOU BELIEVE IT? I was shocked and obviously really pleased with the outcome. They went above and beyond, as all I wanted to do was pay the balance and give my nephew the phone for his own account.

So kudos to you Christopher Elliott and your amazing staff for giving me the tools to facilitate this extraordinary outcome. It is good to know that you have my back.:)
Incredible, Jeannie! You are wonderful to tell us about your 'consumer win'. We love hearing these stories ... thank you.