Wrongfully Charged For Upgrade

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Nov 7, 2017
On Oct 1st, our party was flying back from HNL to MIA connecting in DFW. Reservation Xxxxxx. The day prior to leaving, I received a notification that my last segment was upgraded (DFW to MIA) for $300 and 60,000 miles. I never authorized this upgrade. I called a few times to see if their was upgrade availability for HNL to DFW which is an 8 hour flight, but i would never spend that many miles for a 2 hour flight. I reached out to AA on Twitter the day before my departure telling them I did not approve the upgrade and they responded that it was a non-refundable upgrade. I called twice and was told the same thing. I've called after, and now am told since I flew on the upgrade that nothing can be done. I can dispute the $300 with my credit card, but I am out 60,000 miles. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Note: Moderator edited this post to remove the confirmation number.

Last edited by a moderator:

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
We have company contacts on top of our page. Get the contacts for this company and write to the customer service email address.

Give them a week to reply. If they don't respond or refuse to help, write to the first executive shown. Tell him/her that Customer Service wasn't able to help or didn't reply. Give the executive a week to reply. If necessary, repeat weekly going up the chain of Executives one at a time. If you get all the Executives with no help, come back here and let us know and we'll
Tell you the next step. Make sure you keep all the emails as you'll need to forward them to the writers if they need to get involved.

Good luck and let us know what happens.

You can also dispute the charge with your cc company but check the time frame as you only have a certain period to do it after discovering the charge.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Daniel, this is really awful. Can you possibly recreate what you did when you were originally seeking an upgrade on the major leg of this trip? See if you can figure out what happened. American is just going to say "Well, he didn't understand what he was doing, so there's no help here." Once you understand what happened, you can take responsibility if you made an error and ask for justice. Being armed with this information will allow you to compose a letter that will get someone to investigate what happened and possibly be able to help you. Good luck and please let us know the outcome.

Sep 19, 2015
Ugh this is a problem with an upgrade with a connection. Was an upgrade requested for the return flight, as in put on a wait list?

Nov 7, 2017
Hi Jan and Christina. I didn't request to be put on a wait list. I would call in every month to check. Because i know that if i put myself on a wait list I would be upgraded on the 2nd leg which i didn't want. I asked AA to review the call but no one is responding to that request.