Wrong Dates Booked with Hotwire

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Feb 5, 2015
Hello,

I am spending a week in Europe next month and am having a bit of an issue with my Hotwire reservations. On February 2 I booked four different hotel stays through Priceline, Booking.com and Hotwire. The Priceline and Booking.com reservations are just fine, however, both of my Hotwire reservations were made for February 3 and February 7 rather than March. I am well aware that this could be a human error, however, I would be very ashamed if I entered the wrong month twice. I googled my issue and have found I am not the only person to have this problem and others have cited a technical issue on Hotwire's end for the wrong date reservation. If a human error, perhaps it is just purely coincidental that I typed in the wrong date on both Hotwire reservations and not the other two.

I called Hotwire and they told me it is still my fault and I should not receive a refund because I did not read my confirmation carefully. Had I known I was booking a hotel for the next day, of course, I would have paid more attention to the confirmation. I also was confident that my reservation would be fine. I have emailed Hotwire and I am a waiting a response. I wanted to contact you now, as my next reservation is set for February 7 and I was wondering if you could offer any insights on how I can at least save that reservation. My budget is tight, so to waste two reservations definitely throws a wrench in our vacation.

Thank you for any help you can provide!
Josie

Jan 6, 2015
As per their policy "all sales are final":

For all Hotwire Hot Rates, bookings are final and cannot be cancelled, refunded, exchanged, transferred, or changed, even for a fee. Hotel suppliers are able to offer their unsold rooms at discounted rates on Hotwire because we withhold their name until after the customer books and our reservations are non-refundable. These restrictions enable the hotels to better manage their unsold rooms, and are a big reason why we can offer you great deals. Also, credit cannot be given for any unused hotel reservations. Once you agree to make a booking on our site, your credit card will be charged for the total price shown — regardless of whether the hotel reservation is used. In order to make a booking on our site, you must agree to Hotwire's Terms of Use.

However, I encourage you to pursue this with them via email here:

http://elliott.org/company-contacts/hotwire/

You should begin your appeal with customer service or the primary contact, and when pursuing a resolution, remember the following be-attitudes:

Be very polite - you're seeking an ally for your cause
Be succinct - present the highlights and stay on point
Be specific and reasonable - offer them a fair and tenable option
Be grateful - thank them for their time and consideration!
Be patient - wait a week for a response each time you email a new contact
Be aware - if you've exhausted your company appeals, please ask Chris for Help directly. Note that our help is limited (and perhaps impossible) once this involves the AG, the DOT, any court, or if you have filed a credit card dispute

Best wishes for success, and please keep us posted ...

Last edited:
B

bodega3

Had I known I was booking a hotel for the next day, of course, I would have paid more attention to the confirmation. I also was confident that my reservation would be fine.

This gets people into trouble all the time. Verify immediately that what you thought you booked IS what you booked.

Grant Ritchie

Dependable adequacy :-)
Oct 1, 2014
As per their policy "all sales are final":

For all Hotwire Hot Rates, bookings are final and cannot be cancelled, refunded, exchanged, transferred, or changed, even for a fee. Hotel suppliers are able to offer their unsold rooms at discounted rates on Hotwire because we withhold their name until after the customer books and our reservations are non-refundable. These restrictions enable the hotels to better manage their unsold rooms, and are a big reason why we can offer you great deals. Also, credit cannot be given for any unused hotel reservations. Once you agree to make a booking on our site, your credit card will be charged for the total price shown — regardless of whether the hotel reservation is used. In order to make a booking on our site, you must agree to Hotwire's Terms of Use.

However, I encourage you to pursue this with them via email here:

http://elliott.org/company-contacts/hotwire/

You should begin your appeal with customer service or the primary contact, and when pursuing a resolution, remember the following be-attitudes:

Be very polite - you're seeking an ally for your cause
Be succinct - present the highlights and stay on point
Be specific and reasonable - offer them a fair and tenable option
Be grateful - thank them for their time and consideration!
Be patient - wait a week for a response each time you email a new contact
Be aware - once you reach a CEO your company options are now exhausted
. . . . . . . . . similarly for an attorney or the DOT (we really can't help after that)

Best wishes for success, and please keep us posted ...
One thing I'd add after "Be aware" is a sentence to the effect that, "If you don't receive satisfaction, complete and submit the 'Help' form you'll find at the link below, and Chris will review your case."

Chris likes to offer to review the cases of all customers whose appeals have failed.

Grant

Jan 6, 2015
One thing I'd add after "Be aware" is a sentence to the effect that, "If you don't receive satisfaction, complete and submit the 'Help' form you'll find at the link below, and Chris will review your case."

Chris likes to offer to review the cases of all customers whose appeals have failed.

Grant
I have update it with an Elliott-approved statement

Grant Ritchie

Dependable adequacy :-)
Oct 1, 2014
I have update it with an Elliott-approved statement
Hi V,

Well, I have to apologize. My statement...

"One thing I'd add after 'Be aware' is a sentence to the effect that, 'If you don't receive satisfaction, complete and submit the 'Help' form you'll find at the link below, and Chris will review your case.'

http://www.elliott.org/help/

Chris likes to offer to review the cases of all customers whose appeals have failed."

...is wrong. After I posted that advice to you, I ran it by Chris to make sure that I had advised you correctly. I hadn't. I just received the response below from Chris:

"One thing to note: If a case has already been referred to a lawyer, gone to court, or a government agency has ruled on it, we typically can't help. Filling out a form would be a pointless exercise, unfortunately."

So, I'm sorry. I based my advice on what I thought Chris wanted.

That being said, I'd like to ask you to haul me up short if you see me saying anything that doesn't sound right to you. I'm a work in progress.

Thanks! :)

Grant

Jan 6, 2015
Hi V,

Well, I have to apologize. My statement...

"One thing I'd add after 'Be aware' is a sentence to the effect that, 'If you don't receive satisfaction, complete and submit the 'Help' form you'll find at the link below, and Chris will review your case.'

http://www.elliott.org/help/

Chris likes to offer to review the cases of all customers whose appeals have failed."

...is wrong. After I posted that advice to you, I ran it by Chris to make sure that I had advised you correctly. I hadn't. I just received the response below from Chris:

"One thing to note: If a case has already been referred to a lawyer, gone to court, or a government agency has ruled on it, we typically can't help. Filling out a form would be a pointless exercise, unfortunately."

So, I'm sorry. I based my advice on what I thought Chris wanted.

That being said, I'd like to ask you to haul me up short if you see me saying anything that doesn't sound right to you. I'm a work in progress.

Thanks! :)

Grant
You're doing great Grant. Enjoy working with you, sir. And we'll help our guests every way we can ...

Oct 30, 2017
This happened to me a week ago. I went online to book a hotel for 10/21, got a hotel that looked good and booked it. With my daughter and her family, including small children, we went into the hotel for our room. It turns out the booking was made for 10/28, not 10/21 and the hotel was full. We sat in the hotel lobby trying to find another hotel. My daughter, on her phone, pulled up hotels for 10/21 and this same hotel description came up. She selected it and was about to book it when we noticed the date had changed to 10/28. This might be a software glitch and I have notified Hotwire, no response yet. I did my booking on a laptop and my daughter on her phone, so it is not a mobile app issue.
Be very careful booking Hotwire. I've used them for decades and this is a first.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
What d
This happened to me a week ago. I went online to book a hotel for 10/21, got a hotel that looked good and booked it. With my daughter and her family, including small children, we went into the hotel for our room. It turns out the booking was made for 10/28, not 10/21 and the hotel was full. We sat in the hotel lobby trying to find another hotel. My daughter, on her phone, pulled up hotels for 10/21 and this same hotel description came up. She selected it and was about to book it when we noticed the date had changed to 10/28. This might be a software glitch and I have notified Hotwire, no response yet. I did my booking on a laptop and my daughter on her phone, so it is not a mobile app issue.
Be very careful booking Hotwire. I've used them for decades and this is a first.
What did your confirmation say you received as soon as you booked?

Feb 9, 2016
I just tried on my PC. 11/21 stayed 11/21

I suggest you use your cell phone and video the booking process on your daughters cell phone so that you can show that the issue does, in fact, occur

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
They're hard, these lessons! I remember mis-booking a hotel about ten years ago and was thrilled to pay $278 for it on my next credit card statement, once I stopped grinding my teeth. Just for the record, Dan, I think Hotwire is probably pretty effective for lots of peeps ... but you blow all the money you've saved over a year on just one error. I'd rather book direct ... at least I have a chance of rectifying an error with the hotel itself. You have a good attitude, one of the most important components of happy travel.