Woman thought she was booked on a flight to California, then she landed in Costa Rica

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jul 27, 2016
Seems to me the most LIKELY scenario is that they were booked either FLR-FRA-SFO on LH. Could also have been FLR-FRA-EWR/ORD-SJC on LH/UA. When the FLR-FRA flight was cancelled, the LH agent was trying to find another way to get them to the Bay Area, and they or the agent thought "San Jose will work," and then sent them to the wrong San Jose on Air France. Not an impossible mistake to make, certainly.

In any case, it certainly sounds like this is Lufthansa's screwup, absent clear evidence that they were explicitly told they were going to Costa Rica.

Feb 9, 2016
I fly to the bay area in California often, usually on southwest. I always check Oakland international and San Jose International for prices.

when you type in "San Jose" as the airport, unless you REALLY pay attention, you will book San Jose, Costa Rica. The situation is made more difficult pending on how quickly the website refreshes the actual list of San Jose's "San Jose, Costa Rica and San Jose, California" into the drop down box.

I've almost selected to fly to San Jose Costa Rica a few times. The only thing that made me do a double take was the price. I've since learned that I want airport SJC and not SJO - which still doesn't make sense when you think about San Jose Costa Rica not having an airport code of SJC.....

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Seems to me the most LIKELY scenario is that they were booked either FLR-FRA-SFO on LH. Could also have been FLR-FRA-EWR/ORD-SJC on LH/UA. When the FLR-FRA flight was cancelled, the LH agent was trying to find another way to get them to the Bay Area, and they or the agent thought "San Jose will work," and then sent them to the wrong San Jose on Air France. Not an impossible mistake to make, certainly.

In any case, it certainly sounds like this is Lufthansa's screwup, absent clear evidence that they were explicitly told they were going to Costa Rica.
None of that is stated in the article- is simply says their original tickets were to SJO and that home from Costa Rica they flew to SFO.

We can’t conjecture why they were flying to San Jose and why they ended up flying to San Francisco.

The writer should start the whole article over.

Jul 27, 2016
is simply says their original tickets were to SJO
Actually, the article says their original tickets were to SJC, not SJO...

"Zucker's family members were booked on separate return flights to their hometown of Lafayette, California, with Zucker and her mother's girlfriend, Sheila Milosky, set for a Wednesday flight from Florence to San Jose, California."

Possible scenarios:

1. They were booked FLR-somewhere-SJC, and, when booking the re-route, the agent screwed up and sent them to SJO. This is what the article says happened.

2. They were booked FLR-somewhere-SJO in the first place, and the agent just found them another way to get to their originally booked destination. In this case, the article's wrong about them being "set for a Wednesday flight from Florence to San Jose, California."

3. They were booked FLR-somewhere-SFO, and, in an effort to re-route them to SJC (given that it's basically the same distance from their hometown as SJC, either at their own suggestion or at the LH agent's suggestion), the agent accidentally sent them to SJO. There's nothing specific in the article to support this conclusion, as you note.

Bottom line, based on the text in the article, #1 is what happened. It's of course possible the article got it wrong.

Jul 27, 2016
I fly to the bay area in California often, usually on southwest. I always check Oakland international and San Jose International for prices.

when you type in "San Jose" as the airport, unless you REALLY pay attention, you will book San Jose, Costa Rica. The situation is made more difficult pending on how quickly the website refreshes the actual list of San Jose's "San Jose, Costa Rica and San Jose, California" into the drop down box.

I've almost selected to fly to San Jose Costa Rica a few times. The only thing that made me do a double take was the price. I've since learned that I want airport SJC and not SJO - which still doesn't make sense when you think about San Jose Costa Rica not having an airport code of SJC.....
Think of this this way: San Jose, California, has the airport code SJC.

Jul 27, 2016
I agree with ADM ... a good look at all the paperwork would be the key here .I just flew out and back from SJC, I'll have to dig up my boarding passes.

On a related note, yesterday, I booked tix Heathrow-Paris. I wanted to use Orly Airport, it's smaller and less-congested. Apparently international flights don't use Orly any more. You think that AirFrance might have mentioned this? Nope, they just flipped the res to CDG without notice and I bought the tix. Fortunately, I read my confirmation and was able to get the tix cancelled within the 24 hours. The process was so cumbersome that I called just to be sure ... and they won't know until tomorrow! What a racket.
FYI, you can still fly London-Orly, just not LHR-ORY. BA flies there from London City (LCY), which is, if you like smaller and less-congested, an amazing airport.

All this said, if you're going to be in London (rather than just connecting through LHR), and you're actually headed into Paris (rather than heading elsewhere in France from the airport) I recommend the Eurostar, if you haven't tried it. Much better than flying, in my experience, and I'm certainly not a "trains a great, planes suck!" person. 2 hrs 15 minutes city center to city center.

Last edited:

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Actually, the article says their original tickets were to SJC, not SJO...

"Zucker's family members were booked on separate return flights to their hometown of Lafayette, California, with Zucker and her mother's girlfriend, Sheila Milosky, set for a Wednesday flight from Florence to San Jose, California."

Possible scenarios:

1. They were booked FLR-somewhere-SJC, and, when booking the re-route, the agent screwed up and sent them to SJO. This is what the article says happened.

2. They were booked FLR-somewhere-SJO in the first place, and the agent just found them another way to get to their originally booked destination. In this case, the article's wrong about them being "set for a Wednesday flight from Florence to San Jose, California."

3. They were booked FLR-somewhere-SFO, and, in an effort to re-route them to SJC (given that it's basically the same distance from their hometown as SJC, either at their own suggestion or at the LH agent's suggestion), the agent accidentally sent them to SJO. There's nothing specific in the article to support this conclusion, as you note.

Bottom line, based on the text in the article, #1 is what happened. It's of course possible the article got it wrong.
Yes you are right - even I screwed up SJO and SJC the story is so confusing.

Jan 6, 2015
Interesting tidbit: both times the destination airport changed by one letter

SJC (supposed to land there)
SJO (actually landed there)
SFO (final destination)

Feb 9, 2016
someone chose the wrong san jose. I'm betting the airline is at fault. the agents are supposed to look for details likes California or costa rica, and verify

Dec 7, 2017
SoCal - EAST
People really do go into auto-brain when traveling, don't they?

you never need to show your passport for a domestic departure in the US - but - traveling to Costa Rica you certainly do.

Maybe you don't even consider the reality of it - but there should have been many red flags you were about to depart on an international journey. Unless they connected internationally - but the only relevant nonstop to San Jose, CA would have been from London on BA. so that rules out an international connection.

Plus - our little reporterette can't read a map either - its 3000 miles from SJO to SJC - not 4000.

Pretty much what you expect from journalism these days -

Jul 27, 2016
People really do go into auto-brain when traveling, don't they?

you never need to show your passport for a domestic departure in the US - but - traveling to Costa Rica you certainly do.

Maybe you don't even consider the reality of it - but there should have been many red flags you were about to depart on an international journey. Unless they connected internationally - but the only relevant nonstop to San Jose, CA would have been from London on BA. so that rules out an international connection.

Plus - our little reporterette can't read a map either - its 3000 miles from SJO to SJC - not 4000.

Pretty much what you expect from journalism these days -
This wasn't a connection in the US - they were flying via Paris, so of course it was an international trip, whether they were going to SJC or SJO.

Also, the word is reporter.

Dec 7, 2017
SoCal - EAST
There are no nonstop flights from Paris, Fr to San Jose.

Just like there are no nonstop flights from Paris, Fr to San Jose, CR. (Correction. Not true. Thought I had deleted this after looking it up to confirm and seeing the flight to MROC - surprised the heck out of me!)
This wasn't a connection in the US - they were flying via Paris, so of course it was an international trip, whether they were going to SJC or SJO.

Also, the word is reporter.
Of course we don’t really know that. But it makes sense it was the destination. Once again a quick cross reference of flight number would have shown the AF flight arriving Costa Rica!

What interests me is that LH gate agents have the ability to change your country of arrival. That’s a lot more authority in a misconnect than anyone ever knew. Good thing Americans don’t need a visa for CR.

I’m sorry you seem to be offended by my use of words.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2015
There are no nonstop flights from Paris, Fr to San Jose.

Just like there are no nonstop flights from Paris, Fr to San Jose, CR.

Of course we don’t really know that. But it makes sense it was the destination. Once again a quick cross reference of flight number would have shown the AF flight arriving Costa Rica!

What interests me is that LH gate agents have the ability to change your country of arrival. That’s a lot more authority in a misconnect than anyone ever knew. Good thing Americans don’t need a visa for CR.

I’m sorry you seem to be offended by my use of words.
AIr France 430 is the non stop from Paris to San Jose Costa Rica

Once one is going on an ex Schengen flight from Paris one passes through immigration so that is the end of the passport, one could go to China, Russia,US,or Costa Rica or many other countries.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2017
SoCal - EAST
For someone who's so quick to criticize others for what you see as their ignorance, you're really bad at doing research.

http://www.weeklycrawler.com/travel...t-from-paris-charles-de-gaulle-to-costa-rica/
You are absolutely correct.

I did do my research. It’s AFR430.

I looked it up and thought that I deleted that part of my comment.

I’m sure you don’t believe me. But I do know there are no nonstops from any Paris airport to SJC. If you look at where you left quote is placed you can see that I typed that and then quoted your post - and referred to the Air France flight below it.

As reporters might say: I regret the error.

Last edited: