1. Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
    Dismiss Notice

Woman thought she was booked on a flight to California, then she landed in Costa Rica

Discussion in 'Other' started by Steve, Jan 7, 2018.

1. Steve

Steve Moderator
    Staff Member News Curator

Callie Zucker and her extended family spent a luxurious winter holiday wandering the cobbled pathways of Florence and partaking of the region's fine aliments. But, as seems to be the standard for air travel these days, the trip went sour when the college student attempted to get home.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/w...ed-in-costa-rica/ar-BBI0y9L?OCID=ansmsnnews11

Not sure who to blame here as the story wasn't clear who booked the ticket from Bologna to San Jose.

2. ADM

ADM

I agree it's hard to tell whose mistake this is. At first I thought it the travelers themselves were to blame but the airline should have automatically routed them to their original destination. It would be interesting to take a look at that original itinerary to see if the mistake was there from the beginning.

Something like this almost happened to a member of my husband's dive club. The club was doing a trip to Costa Rica and she had booked a flight to San Jose, CA. Fortunately for her she realized her mistake well within the 24 hour window and was able to correct it at no charge.

jsn55 likes this.
  3. VoR61

Advocate

The article "implies" it was their fault:

They landed late that evening in the tropical oasis and took stock of their errors.

"We assumed SJO was the airport code for San Jose in California," Zucker recalled from the Costa Rican airport. The code is actually SJC. "I know that now."​

4. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

I don’t know- it would seem to me Lufthansa would have been the one to rebook them if their flight was canceled and they bussed they to another airport.

5. jsn55

Staff Member Advocate

I agree with ADM ... a good look at all the paperwork would be the key here .I just flew out and back from SJC, I'll have to dig up my boarding passes.

On a related note, yesterday, I booked tix Heathrow-Paris. I wanted to use Orly Airport, it's smaller and less-congested. Apparently international flights don't use Orly any more. You think that AirFrance might have mentioned this? Nope, they just flipped the res to CDG without notice and I bought the tix. Fortunately, I read my confirmation and was able to get the tix cancelled within the 24 hours. The process was so cumbersome that I called just to be sure ... and they won't know until tomorrow! What a racket.

Patina likes this.
  6. Christina H

This is just bizarre -- they were originally on Lufthansa but the tickets must have been endorsed to Air France if they few Paris to Costa Rico. How does one mess up the rebooking by searching for the wrong codes? It sounds like the boarding pass was for SJO. Did they book the ticket themselves and make the mistake on the return?

7. jsn55

Staff Member Advocate

Exactly what we want to know ... I hope our OP comes back and clears up a bit of the mystery. Without placing blame, I fly often from SJC and the announcements for "San Jose Costa Rica" are numerous at the airport, the gate and on the plane. Hard to grasp the scenario unless everyone was exhausted or had been partying.

Mike Tipton likes this.
  8. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

I actually e mailed the reporter to ask. I told her the story is incomplete and asked who did the ticket.

That’s poor reporting not giving the whole story.

John Galbraith, VoR61 and jsn55 like this.
  9. Christina H

Who needs reporters when one can facebook stalk! According to a relative Laura Zucker

"Absolutely true story. Tickets were booked by airline personnel. Told San Jose CA. Nothing listed country, just town. Took Callie Zucker three days to get home. Great job, Lufthansa!!"

But it does not make sense -- they would have flown out of SFO originally, why not put on CDG to SFO

jsn55 likes this.
  10. jsn55

Staff Member Advocate

I've been re-routed from one to the other over the years ... equipment, weather, who knows?

11. VoR61

Advocate

San Jose Cal-i-forn-ia
    San Jose Co-sta-ric-a

Very similar sounding and the booking agent could have heard the wrong location ...

krisseye likes this.
  12. Christina H

I wonder if someone said "if there are no seats to San Francisco San Jose is nearby" the same as I will ask about EWR if JFK is canceled. I sitll find this so bizarre.

VoR61 likes this.
  13. Christina H

I do not think that LH flies there directly. Do computers rebook these cancellations?

14. VoR61

Advocate

The article says they were bussed to Bologna and flew from there. Doesn't say that LH booked them on an LH flight

15. Christina H

I am just trying to figure out how San Jose even came up as a possibility

16. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

Because there are two San Jose airports- one in Costa Rica and One in California. It sounds like the Lufthansa agent didn’t know the difference.

TropicalRichmond and VoR61 like this.
  17. Christina H

I am sort of assuming that they went of SFO and did SFO to FRA to FLR for the outbound, and that the same on return and was wondering why San Jose even came up. The only way to do San Jose CA is to have a UA flight to something like ORD and connect to FRA and then FLR. What a mess.

18. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

The article said they were booked from Florence to San Jose. Not sure how SFO even got into the mix.

This is why it’s such a poorly written story.

19. Christina H

You are so right; the story is so badly written that I am making up all sorts of scenarios to imagine what could have happened.... because I have had flights canceled and been rebooked, and cannot imagine such a mess

20. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

A good reporter would not leave a story like this with all these questions.

Christina H likes this.