Who do I complain to?

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
May 1, 2018
I just returned from staying two nights at a Wyndham resort in Southern Arizona. I made the reservation through Expedia. The room was so awful -- 10 by 10--the bed was jammed against the wall which had a sliding glass door to an open atrium. No other window, one chair and a very small bathroom.

I immediately called the front desk, asked for a different room. We had to pay $50 extra a night for a different room which was an incredibly huge suite with a full kitchen, dining room, bar, patio. Frankly, we were stunned by both rooms! One so awful and the other so sumptuous.

Did we get the first room because we had booked through Expedia at a lower price? Is this Expedia's fault or a policy of the hotel to give us a crappy room because of the Expedia booking? Not sure who to complain to.

technomage1

Verified Member
Jan 5, 2015
Hotels typically give the worst rooms to the online travel agencies booking services since they make less on the booking. I use Expedia as a search engine then book direct. Usually the rates are comparable.

Was the original room what Expedia advertised at that rate? If so, your complaint would be you didn’t get what you booked and your beef would be with them.

johnbaker

Verified Member
Oct 2, 2014
@gbirch We have a guy that works for my company who used to be a FOH and Duty Manager for hotels in FL. Here's the bottom line... When you buy bottom dollar through an online retailer you get the worst room in the house. They have to give it to someone. They'll keep the nicer room to take care of a walk up or a frequent traveler.

Sep 19, 2015
Remember that the online booking engines often take a commission from the reservation -- so the one that pays the least gets the least in terms of amenities.

If the expedia reservations was for a standard room, and there was an upgrade to a premium room such as a suite, that would account for the difference in amenities and price.

Was the expedia reserved room misrepresented in any way?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Yes
I just returned from staying two nights at a Wyndham resort in Southern Arizona. I made the reservation through Expedia. The room was so awful -- 10 by 10--the bed was jammed against the wall which had a sliding glass door to an open atrium. No other window, one chair and a very small bathroom.

I immediately called the front desk, asked for a different room. We had to pay $50 extra a night for a different room which was an incredibly huge suite with a full kitchen, dining room, bar, patio. Frankly, we were stunned by both rooms! One so awful and the other so sumptuous.

Did we get the first room because we had booked through Expedia at a lower price? Is this Expedia's fault or a policy of the hotel to give us a crappy room because of the Expedia booking? Not sure who to complain to.
There is no one to complain to. It’s known that when you book through the OTAs at a low rate, you are given the worst rooms in the hotel. They aren’t going to give the guest paying full price that booked through the hotel website the worst rooms.

I would consider this a lesson learned about booking discounted rates using an OTA. You’ll do much better by booking directly with the hotel.

There is a book called Heads in Beds that is an eye opener.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
You've answered your own question ... the big hotel chains are on a campaign (and rightfully so) to stop people from using the online booking services. They pay big commissions and they don't like it. My colleagues are right ... book direct. I use them for research only. Even if I were inclined to book with an OBS, there's never enough solid info to tell what kind of room you'll get. By all means contact Expedia if you didn't get the kind of room you booked ... if you can figure it out from their website.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
You've answered your own question ... the big hotel chains are on a campaign (and rightfully so) to stop people from using the online booking services. They pay big commissions and they don't like it. My colleagues are right ... book direct. I use them for research only. Even if I were inclined to book with an OBS, there's never enough solid info to tell what kind of room you'll get. By all means contact Expedia if you didn't get the kind of room you booked ... if you can figure it out from their website.

They pay commission but not “big”.

Sep 19, 2015
I heard from several small hotel owners that the online booking engines take between 10% and 25% commission — but these were in Europe and there may be extra taxes added in.

Jul 27, 2016
That could be but it is certainly not what a travel agent is paid.
I believe that the margins on prepaid bookings (where they commit to buying X rooms on Y night for Z dollars at a given hotel) that the big OTAs generate are often in the 25-30% range. Of course, the OTA is taking the risk that, if they can't sell the rooms, or can't sell them for as much as they expect, they're still on the hook to pay the hotel $X*Z.