Like so many other travelers, American Airlines stranded us during the storm last week-January 3-5, 2018. Knowing that bad weather was approaching we waited for American to post a travel alert. When we received that notification we immediately called to see if we could leave early to avoid being stranded. We were on Turks and Caicos and the first agent on the phone said that all flights from the island that would get us back to Boston were full. Knowing that you often get different answers we called again, this time getting a flight to Miami later in the day on January 4 and were told that we were on standby for a Boston flight that evening. We also went on line and saw that you could purchase tickets on flights we were told were full. Our flight to Miami had many empty seats. We arrived in Miami around 6 on January 3 to see that American had canceled flights to Boston and New York. We were rebooked on Friday January 5 to go from Miami to D.C. and then to Providence where we would have to take the train to Boston. We flew from Miami to D.C. On the 5th and waited at the gate where the agent continued to say that they were waiting for the flight crew. After the flight was supposed to leave they displayed the cancelled sign and said that the airplane was now going to Jacksonville. We received a phone message saying that we could get a flight back to Miami. After waiting in line for almost two hours we were told that they could get us on a flight to Charlotte and standby the next day to Providence. At this point we were given such conflicting details we didn't know what to do. We asked to be put on another carrier, given meal or hotel vouchers, with a "no" response to all. We walked to Jet Blue and paid for a flight to Boston because we felt that we were told so many conflicting details that we didn't believe American. We are in our late 60's and were worn out and scared. What should we have done differently and shouldn't American have helped in some way?