What is best way to handle fraud on credit card (Amazon Prime, now airline ticket)

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Feb 6, 2016
A few weeks ago, I saw a charge from Amazon for Prime when I did my daily download of credit card transactions on Quicken. I had never signed up for it. I called Amazon and they said it was someone else's account with my credit card, cancelled it, and told me to dispute it with my credit card (Citibank).

Today, I got a welcome to Amazon for Prime on MY Amazon account. Amazon told me to cancel Prime, but still enjoy the free trial. My Amazon password is through LastPass, so I had LastPass change it and I added 2-factor authentication.

About an hour ago, I logged into the same above credit card and saw an airline purchase, with the 6 letter code, as well as an Allianz travel insurance purchase on the card. I then disputed the Allianz purchase online. The airline purchase wasn't available to dispute. I called the airline, figure out it is from Memphis to Miami on Seat 9F via the automated system (American) and have been on hold for an hour. Also called credit card (Citibank Double), but was on hold and then someone picked up and said they were doing maintenance and hung up. While on hold, I got a text from Citi about another charge from Proxiware and I said I did not authorize it. Went through the website and they are cancelling the card and will ship me a new one. I also had a pending legitimate transaction (fixing the transmission on my wife's car, which was expensive).

I use LastPass for all my passwords, and even use LastPass for all the secret identity questions. It's rare for my phone or computer to be away from me.

Is there anything else I should do since I can't get hold of the airline or the credit card via the phone?

Jun 24, 2019
In addition to calling Citibank’s fraud department, follow their instructions for disputing fraudulent charges. Citibank will have a phone and fax number, and thee sort of communications ought to be in writing creating a paper trail.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
A few weeks ago, I saw a charge from Amazon for Prime when I did my daily download of credit card transactions on Quicken. I had never signed up for it. I called Amazon and they said it was someone else's account with my credit card, cancelled it, and told me to dispute it with my credit card (Citibank).

Today, I got a welcome to Amazon for Prime on MY Amazon account. Amazon told me to cancel Prime, but still enjoy the free trial. My Amazon password is through LastPass, so I had LastPass change it and I added 2-factor authentication.

About an hour ago, I logged into the same above credit card and saw an airline purchase, with the 6 letter code, as well as an Allianz travel insurance purchase on the card. I then disputed the Allianz purchase online. The airline purchase wasn't available to dispute. I called the airline, figure out it is from Memphis to Miami on Seat 9F via the automated system (American) and have been on hold for an hour. Also called credit card (Citibank Double), but was on hold and then someone picked up and said they were doing maintenance and hung up. While on hold, I got a text from Citi about another charge from Proxiware and I said I did not authorize it. Went through the website and they are cancelling the card and will ship me a new one. I also had a pending legitimate transaction (fixing the transmission on my wife's car, which was expensive).

I use LastPass for all my passwords, and even use LastPass for all the secret identity questions. It's rare for my phone or computer to be away from me.

Is there anything else I should do since I can't get hold of the airline or the credit card via the phone?
Regardless of what software you are using it appears that your electronic devices have been hacked since you are getting new charges after changing passwords and credit cards. This is much more concerning than the fraudulent charges. You need to have your devices scanned by an expert and find out where your information is being stolen.

You should change all passwords relating to any financial accounts immediately. You should stop using LastPass until you find out what is happening since your devices (and your wife's devices) have been compromised. You may have a trojan on one or more devices that is sending what you type to another location or some other type of system compromise. You need to do this immediately before you discover that your bank accounts are being accessed too.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
All the suggestions of my colleagues may seem severe, but it does sound like someone/something has accessed your personal information and have perhaps gotten into more than one credit card. I agree with all the posts above ... I think you need to literally call a halt to everything so you can find out what's going on without being victim of more fraud.

Feb 6, 2016
Just wanted to update that I was able to reach Citibank the next day and they started the fraud investigation. They told me not to send anything in writing. However, they have not issued a temporary credit. They said it is their policy not to do so until the investigation is complete.

I also reached American Airlines. They provided me the name of the person. I did not recognize the name at all. They flagged it on their end.

I don't believe it was a password breach, but rather a breach of the number of that credit card. They did issue a new credit card.. Which is the card that the daycare and the YMCA have for their monthly transactions. I don't believe any of my devices have been breached, nor do I believe my LastPass has been breached. So I have not requested new versions of any of my other credit cards. I do use Quicken and download all my transactions every day and am continuing to monitor all those (as I always do).

Dwayne Coward

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Apr 13, 2016
St. Louis
Just wanted to update that I was able to reach Citibank the next day and they started the fraud investigation. They told me not to send anything in writing. However, they have not issued a temporary credit. They said it is their policy not to do so until the investigation is complete.

I also reached American Airlines. They provided me the name of the person. I did not recognize the name at all. They flagged it on their end.

I don't believe it was a password breach, but rather a breach of the number of that credit card. They did issue a new credit card.. Which is the card that the daycare and the YMCA have for their monthly transactions. I don't believe any of my devices have been breached, nor do I believe my LastPass has been breached. So I have not requested new versions of any of my other credit cards. I do use Quicken and download all my transactions every day and am continuing to monitor all those (as I always do).
Make sure you follow the requirements of the Fair Credit Billing Act (FCBA), which includes putting the dispute in writing. The FCBA doesn't state they have to provide a temporary credit, but if the dispute falls under the billing errors category of the FCBA, you don't have to pay the amount in dispute until they have completed their investigation.

Jun 24, 2019
I have never heard of a bank saying they have to investigate before giving you a provisional credit. File a formal credit card dispute in writing.
I believe banks are free to investigate first, but have adopted a policy of provisional credits which makes it easier for them as while the investigation is pending they cannot take steps to collect, charge interest, or report as late. Provisionally crediting the disputed amount keeps the bank's computer from doing bad things.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I believe banks are free to investigate first, but have adopted a policy of provisional credits which makes it easier for them as while the investigation is pending they cannot take steps to collect, charge interest, or report as late. Provisionally crediting the disputed amount keeps the bank's computer from doing bad things.
Yes they have. But the OP still needs to put the dispute in writing. The FCBA requires that.

Feb 6, 2016
So I just prepared a letter to Citi that I will print out and mail shortly. I included a timeline of the transactions, including the Amazon Prime charge from March for which they resolved the dispute in my favor, and the one for Proxishare that came as an E-mailed fraud alert minutes after the two I am disputing. I declined to recognize that one, so it didn't go through. I also included a copy of the fraud alert E-mail in this letter to Citi.

I went back on the Citi web site and saw I could still dispute those two charges for which I thought a dispute was started. After I clicked Unrecognized Charge, it showed me the details of the plane ticket that was purchased, including full passenger name and itinerary. I took a screenshot of it and also included that in the letter to Citi. Google definitely found a person with that name in the flight departure city (thousands of miles away from me).

I contacted my local police and they said I can come in and file a police report.

The only thing I can't figure out is how they were able to start an Amazon Prime account later, under my Amazon account.

Feb 6, 2016
Well then now it is done twice, thought the dispute on their website and with a letter in the mailbox. The letter had followed the sample, but also added the timeline for them and reiterated the answer to the questions they had asked me on the phone.

Feb 3, 2017
I strongly suggest you change all of your passwords (if you haven't yet done so) even if you don't think it is related to someone getting hold of your password. I change them frequently and especially with what has occurred for you, it can provide an extra layer of security going forward.

I am so surprised that the bank originally gave you the name of the person - I've never heard of them divulging that information before.

Good luck

Reactions: Comicman and VoR61
Feb 6, 2016
I have 700 passwords in my LastPass, so I can't change every one. But I have changed a few key ones.

Citibank gave me the name of the passenger of the flight booked using my credit card as a way for me to see if it truly was an unrecognized charge. I think it is a way for them to save time from having a dispute if the credit card owner then realizes they did book a flight for that person. I was surprised though that American Airlines gave me the name. I wish Amazon had given me the details, so I could see if it were the same person.

Feb 6, 2016
Even though I have done the Disputes twice on the website, it is still not showing up in the Dispute Center on the website. And it still gives me the option to dispute the transaction on the website. And no E-mail confirmation from Citibank.

I went the police station today and met with the officer who took notes and said he'll investigate. I gave him a copy of the letter I mailed to Citibank, which I mailed today.

Feb 6, 2016
The account period closed 2 days ago and the statement clearly shows those 2 items under dispute. Also, while the balance does include those 2 disputed items, the amount to be automatically withdrawn from my bank account on the due date does not include those items. So I feel relieved at that.

Now I'm dealing with password issues. I changed passwords, made them super secure since LastPass can do that, the bank accept it, but then Quicken has problems with the password and doesn't download the account transactions. So then have to change the password again, reduce # of characters, get rid of symbols, and then Quicken will stop saying the bank won't accept it....