• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.

Wells Fargo Bank

Jan 20, 2020
My father was a US Permanent Residence and an Egyptian National Who passed away and has two accounts in Wells Fargo Bank. I sent the the bank in Virginia Exception Payments Department all the legal paperwork required death certificate the court order and the closure of my late fathers accounts all stamped and notarized by both the Egyptian Ministry of justice and notarized by the US Embassy in Egypt that was delivered on the 7th of January 2020 and requested an email confirmation in the legal documents sent by Aramex courier to get an email confirmation and I didn't receive any confirmation despite writing the banks customer service several times and still got no reply. I keep reading in the news that Wells Fargo Bank has legal problems and was ordered to pay big fines due to an account scandal problem so I'm very worried from not getting a reply from them. Thank you for your time and kind assistance.

VoR61

Jan 6, 2015
the United States
You can escalate this using the contacts on this site. Simply express your concern that you have no confirmation of receipt. If you used USPS, you could/should have sent it certified mail.

Some do's and don'ts when writing
Do not use inflammatory language - be polite, as that increases the likelihood of success
Do not attach files - their email system may discard your email before anyone reads it
Do not start with the CEO - begin at the lowest level in the company contacts shown here: https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/wells-fargo/
Present a brief summary (list) and give each contact one (1) week to respond before escalating to the next level

Jan 20, 2020
Thank you for your reply I really appreciate it. The mail was sent via Aramex courier and the only confirmation I have is from the courier that it was delivered.Before I joined your site I read the article that I should not write the CEO and start from the bottom and work my way up. Please note that I have sent a very polite mail that was 2 weeks ago asking for an email confirmation and did not attach any documents asking for a confirmation and that mail was forwarded again lately to social care at Wells Fargo Bank that was last week and still no reply that's why I contacted you . I was hoping that if it's possible if your office would call the bank on it it's toll free number and just inquire about my case. Thank you for your time and concern

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
We do not do this - what we do is give you the tools to advocate yourself. Please use this post and follow the information - starting at the bottoms and working your way up the executive list one at a time, leaving a week in between each email. Once you do the entire process, if you still get no help, then we can advise you of the next step to take.

My wife is a former bank VP and I asked her about this and she said that it can take weeks for the paperwork and accounts to be taken care of, so you are rushing the process a little bit. All the paperwork has to go through the bank's Legal Department. I think you need to give it a little more time.

https://forum.elliott.org/threads/resolving-consumer-complaints-and-developing-a-paper-trail.8903/

Reactions: RLB and VoR61
Jan 20, 2020
Thank you very much for your reply and for the advice I really appreciate it. When I sent the legal documents to a European bank where my late father had an account they send me a short email that they received it and that the bank policy is 30 working days to close the account was just hoping that Wells Fargo Bank would do the same. Thanks again for your time and concern and will wait another week before sending them another reminder hope to get a reply by then.

Jan 20, 2020
I understand that Europe and the US are different banking systems . My point is when a bank like Wells Fargo ranked number 4 in the world receives legal court documents notarized by both the Egyptian Ministry of Justice and The US Embassy in Egypt and is not able to send a short email confirmation with its bank policy when it is expected to close the deceased account and doesn't reply to several emails asking for a confirmation of legal documents in sorry but that is just not fitting for a bank that big don't you agree.

May 30, 2019
I'm not familiar with international transactions but I can state that Wells Fargo, by reputation, avoids email for formal correspondence to unknown parties, which based on your description, would include you. There are many other reasons you may have not received an email including: they did email but it was treated as spam by your ISP; or the department reviewing your documentation is not allowed to correspond via email; the account balance was large enough to require extra levels of internal review.

It may be useful to continue to respond via snail mail, return receipt and ask for a confirmation via snail mail.

The fact that they are #4 in the world doesn't mean they are going to be faster than the #5 bank. Rather, WF often moves slower and more methodically these days because after the legal issues they had, additional controls were put in place, they are required to follow more processes and therefore move slower.

(And, to be explicit, I'm not defending WF at all. I am one of many victims of WF's shenanigans a few years ago that resulted in their being in legal trouble and paying large fines.)

Apr 1, 2018
I'm sorry about the passing of your father. The Wells Fargo scandals that you read about were from a several years ago. Supposedly, in 2018 changes were implemented to prevent those problems in the future. All of this to say that I wouldn't worry about this right now, especially with all the bureaucracy involved when a parent passes.

Were the documents you sent in English ? If not they most likely need to be translated into English by an official translator. Sometimes foreign documents also need an Apostille. I too would follow what Neil recommends but also, this is one case that I would also consider calling.

Also note that because you corresponded by mail in sending the documents to the bank, they may also communicate that they have the documents, etc, by mail. If that is the case, 2 weeks have not passed so it may be too soon to expect anything. Good luck with this.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
My father was a US Permanent Residence and an Egyptian National Who passed away and has two accounts in Wells Fargo Bank. I sent the the bank in Virginia Exception Payments Department all the legal paperwork required death certificate the court order and the closure of my late fathers accounts all stamped and notarized by both the Egyptian Ministry of justice and notarized by the US Embassy in Egypt that was delivered on the 7th of January 2020 and requested an email confirmation in the legal documents sent by Aramex courier to get an email confirmation and I didn't receive any confirmation despite writing the banks customer service several times and still got no reply. I keep reading in the news that Wells Fargo Bank has legal problems and was ordered to pay big fines due to an account scandal problem so I'm very worried from not getting a reply from them. Thank you for your time and kind assistance.
I agree with you that this is shabby treatment. You would think that a bank would have a system in place to notify the sender, both of the receipt of the docs and status of their processing. I also agree with my colleagues that there is little risk that Wells will stop operating. The scandals mostly involved dishonest Wells employees opening bogus accounts for existing customers to earn bonuses, and I hope that's all been cleared up. However, you are quite right to be concerned about where your docs are. Since Wells is not responding to you, I suggest that you establish proof of delivery with the courier. See if you can obtain date, time and signature of the recipient.

Reactions: Mohammed El Gazzar